× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6 – admin page and more inaccessible after upgrade to 6.5.0

Johan_F
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 6 – admin page and more inaccessible after upgrade to 6.5.0

Hi,
 I tried to upgrade our great woking ReadyNAS Pro 6 from 4.2.28 to 6.5.0.

After that and reboot, it is visible with RAIDar 6 and shows "Healthy" with an IP address but no volume nor any size.
I connected it directly to a Mac running OS 10.10.5. Selected DHCP and renewed DHCP lease.  The RAIDar tells the IP address is 169.254.240.231 with all 6 drives OK. Mac says  its IP address is 166.254.159.87 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0.
The RAIDar button Offline Setup (LAN) leads to FireFox 169.254.240.231/admin – no connection (or similar after translation).

The ReadyNAs is visible on theNetgear widget, saying OK but also here no volume, no size, shown.

The ReadyNAS has 6 drives which where about 98 % full before upgrade. However. it had not expanded to its full potential size due to the limitations of the system (8 TB max expansion after installation). There is not anything special installed. It is mostly for TimeMachine backup jobs for a local Mac network.

Please, do you have any helping advice? /Johan

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 – admin page and more inaccessible after upgrade to 6.5.0

@Johan_F wrote:

Anyway, the RAIDar Offline Setup button works. I now get to the login screen at 169.254.130.187 and it answers "ReadyNAS admin". However, I am not able to login with the factory standard login admin and password (in the instruction manual) nor with my admin password.

Have you tried using "admin" with "password" as the password?

@Johan_F wrote:

However, it persists to select a IP address in the range 169.254.X.Y no matter what I select in the network settings of my MacBook Pro (Fixed IP, DHCP with fixed IP, DHCP).

Is the NAS always directly connected to your Macbook?  Or is it usually connected to your router?

The network settings you are playing with affect how the Macbook gets its own IP address.  They won't affect how the NAS gets its IP address.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It is a bit odd that your Mac uses a public internet address.  Is this a corporate network?

It looks like DHCP failed - 169.254.240.231 is in the link-local address range. 

You can try removing the ethernet cable, and reinserting it.  If you were using NIC bonding before, remove the second ethernet cable.

Also - did you use R4toR6_latest.bin to do the upgrade?

Message 2 of 16
Johan_F
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, thanks for your answer.

I used the PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin and the  R4toR6_latest.bin to do the upgrade. Then the Netgear widget displayed a Volume 2 - 0 MB and Volume 3 – 0 MB but no Volume 1 after upgrade. Above those (where the volume 1 message possible could have been hiding) there was a message saying that data was most likeky lost on volume 2 and 3. I waited more than 2 days (without any visible difference) before shutting down with the front switch (two short presses) and restart. It counts up to 100 % and said No IP. ( No % free shown).

It never came up on my LAN with fixed adresses like 192.168.6.4 as it used to be.

Thus I connected it directly to a MacBook Pro and switched the Mac to DHCP.  The ReadyNAS will boot and automatically select an IP-adresse like 169.254.X.Y where X and Y varies for each reboot. (There is no connection to our normal LAN now except to the MacBook Pro for configurating.) My intention was to use this setup just to be able and change the IP by using the /admin page but I cannot get there.

If I set the Mac to DHCP with fixed address like 192.168.168.100 the ReadyNAS refuses to boot in that subnet and always selects a random 169.254... address. If I type 164.254.18.194/admin in FireFox, nothing will happen.

If I type "smb://164.254.18.194/admin" i will receive a normal login and password screen but are not able to login, neither with normal password nor with the netgear startup from beginning passward. However, I get a message: There was a problem connecting to the server ...

Thankful for any ideas!/Johan

Message 3 of 16
Johan_F
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I used the  R4toR6_latest.bin to do the upgrade. The Netgear widget displayed a Volume 2 - 0 MB and Volume 3 – 0 MB but no Volume 1 after upgrade. Above those (where volume 1 possible could have been hiding) there was a message saying that data was most likeky lost on volume 2 and 3. I waited more than 2 days before shutting down with the front switch and rebooted.

It never cames up on my LAN with fixed adresses like 192.168.6.4 as it used to be.
Thus I connected it directly to a MacBook Pro and switched the Mac to DHCP.  The ReadyNAS will boot and automatically select an IP-adress. always like 169.254.X.Y where X and Y varies for each reboot. There is no connection to our normal LAN now. My intention was to use this setup just to be able to change the IP by using the /admin page but I cannot get there. If I set the Mac to DHCP with fixed address like 192.168.168.100 the ReadyNAS refuses to boot in that subnet.

Direct connected Mac with DHCP and 169.254.X.100:

If I enter 169.254.X.Y in FireFox, it does not answer. However, smb://169.254.X.Y initiates the login page but I'm not able to login (message: There was a problem connecting to the server 169.254.X.Y). Tried usual login + passwards and also the setup out of the box login.

What more can I do? /Johan

Message 4 of 16
cpu8088
Virtuoso

os4 is using ext4 while os6 is using btrfs

u would need a fresh setup. just use the raidar and then select the admin page and do an initial setup. all your data in ext4 will be wiped clean.

Message 5 of 16
Johan_F
Aspirant

Hi cpu8088,

The problem is I never get access to the admin page. The RAIDar button " Offline Setup"  starts FireFox with the 169.254.X.Y/admin address but there is no connection.

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

When you rebooted the NAS after installing the prep binary, did you do a factory default using the manual boot menu?

If not, that is the next step.  The process is described on page 26-27 of the hardware manual ( http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_Pro_HW_13April11.pdf )

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Installing the Prep R4 to R6 add-on before installing the R4 to R6 add-on avoids the need to do a manual factory default via the boot menu. It sounds like you didn't install the PrepR4toR6 add-on so you will need to use the boot menu as StephenB described.

Message 8 of 16
Johan_F
Aspirant

Thanks all helpful folks!

I installed the add-on PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin when running 4.2.28 before installing  R4toR6_latest-beta.bin. At least I thought so, maybe I did something incomplete?

I have factory resetted now and it says 99 % free on the front panel.

However, it persists to select a IP address in the range 169.254.X.Y no matter what I select in the network settings of my MacBook Pro (Fixed IP, DHCP with fixed IP, DHCP).

Anyway, the RAIDar Offline Setup button works. I now get to the login screen at 169.254.130.187 and it answers "ReadyNAS admin". However, I am not able to login with the factory standard login admin and password (in the instruction manual) nor with my admin password. After attempts the ReadyNAS answers"Reset Password. Sorry, password recovery has not been set ...".

At least I have come a bit further! /Johan

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Johan_F wrote:

Anyway, the RAIDar Offline Setup button works. I now get to the login screen at 169.254.130.187 and it answers "ReadyNAS admin". However, I am not able to login with the factory standard login admin and password (in the instruction manual) nor with my admin password.

@Johan_F wrote:

Is the NAS always directly connected to your Macbook?  Or is it usually connected to your router?

The network settings you are playing with affect how the Macbook gets its own IP address.  They won't affect how the NAS gets its IP address.

Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No, the prep add-on is to be installed first. This is to configure the root volume so that when the R4toR6 image (OS6 firmware with a different header so that RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x accepts it as a valid firmware image to update to) is installed afterwards a factory default will be triggered at the right time.

I haven't tested installing the add-on then updating direct to 6.5.0 beta though so it is possible that if things have changed that the add-on may no longer help, but I doubt it.

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

No, the prep add-on is to be installed first.

Is post 3 in the upgrade thread incorrect then? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

OS6 in 3 Steps:

1. Download R4toR6_latest.bin

2. Upgrade firmware in Frontview 4.2 (with above file)
3. Reboot & factory default via boot menu

Message 12 of 16
Johan_F
Aspirant

@StephenB

!?! Everywhere it is written to use "admin" and "netgear1"!! In the instructions accompanying the ReadyNAS and in the hardware manual ( http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_Pro_HW_13April11.pdf )

Now I'm getting along!

@mdgm-ntgr

I installed the add-on PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin without restart then installed  R4toR6_latest-beta.bin , restarted then did a factory reset and restart.

Should it been possible to go from 4 to 6 without wiping the data by doing the right things?

Is it possible to load the old configuration file (from 4) back to OS 6 to do all the settings or do I have to enter all settings from the beginning?

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Johan_F wrote:

@StephenB

OS 4.2 uses "netgear1" as the default password.  But now you are running OS6, which uses "password".  The current OS-6 software is here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/readynas_os_6_4_1_23Dec2015.pdf

Should it been possible to go from 4 to 6 without wiping the data by doing the right things?

No.  

Is it possible to load the old configuration file (from 4) back to OS 6 to do all the settings or do I have to enter all settings from the beginning?

You have to set up everything again.

Message 14 of 16
Johan_F
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, cpu8088 and mdgm!

The Pro 6 seems to be up and running with fixed IP on our LAN! Great!

(But Netgear: why change something which was working good – netgear1? It did cost me one day of my precious life.)

So time to read in all the TimeMachine backups – probably takes a week or two.

Then time to go the same route with our Pro Pioneer,  second backup station.

I'm grateful our Netgears got a new life. Expansion was full since long and disk exchange took too long to read in everything, everytime.

Thanks again! Johan

Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We decided to use a default password for ReadyNAS OS6 which is consistent with what we use for other devices in our product range.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements