× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 no volume and all disks are red

Cheach
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro 6 no volume and all disks are red

Hi,

ReadyNAS Pro 6 (RNDP6000)
Firmware 6.10.8

I am hoping that someone can help me. All 6 disks on my ReadyNas Pro 6 are red. Because I have 28TB of free space. I thought it was safe to swap an existing 18TB disk with a 10TB disk. That was a big mistake on my part. Initially it was syncing data but then it started to show dead volume message. I got worried and swapped back in the original 18TB disk and now all 6 disks are red. Rebooting didn't help.

Cheach_1-1698149865697.png

After reading few posts on here. I proceeded to enable SSH and got Service operation failed message. Are there any other ways to get the logs?

Cheach_0-1698149826531.png

I am hoping that I can recover my family videos, especially my sons' sporting events. I am feeling very emotional right now knowing that I might have lost all the family videos.

Thank you very much in advance.

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Cheach wrote:

After reading few posts on here. I proceeded to enable SSH and got Service operation failed message. Are there any other ways to get the logs?

Unfortunately you can only enable ssh if you have a working volume.  (no idea why).

But downloading logs doesn't require ssh.  Just go to the logs page on the NAS and click on the "Download logs" page.

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, you made multiple mistakes here.  But if you didn't write anything to the NAS while it was syncing with the 10TB drive, then @StephenB may be able to find you a way to re-mount your volume with that old 18TB included.  But the step after that is going to be to back up the data, so you also need to start thinking about how you are going to do that.  You didn't say how big your volume is, and the moderators haven't released your screen dumps that might show it, but if it's a lot, you may want to look into other brands of NAS and end up making that your primary and relegating the Pro6 to backup duty.  Even without operator error, RAID is not sufficient to keep you from losing those valuable memories.

There is an old IT saying that still holds:  If you only have one copy of something, you must not think it's important.

My personal solution is this:  All data is backed up to another NAS locally (for speed).  Really important stuff (photos, documents, most recent PC backups) are also remotely backed up to a NAS at my brother's house 3 states away (in case of fire, flood, hurricane, theft, etc.).  If you don't have a way to do remote NAS backup, a cloud-based service is an option.  For smaller volumes than I assume you have based on at least a couple 18TB drives in your NAS, just a cloud service may be enough, since they have their own backup scheme.  Or if a lot of it is music, videos, etc that can be recovered from the original source, just don't back that up and deal with the time it takes to re-create the NAS files if needed.

Message 3 of 9
Cheach
Tutor

Thank you both for replying.

I am still feeling very sick about this situation. after some sleep and come to some clarity. I want to also note that I did deleted the some inactive/dead volume when the ReadyNAS notification popped up. Now, don't ask me why I did, because I don't have an answer and I am asking that of myself. I have resigned to the fact that through my own carelessness and stupidity I may have lost all the data.

I can't recall the total volume but I think it is somewhere around 50TB and used 32TB. mostly of videos of old movies or TV series. But the one that I am hoping to recover are the family videos of approximately 10TB.

Luckily, all photos and important documents are not on the NAS. Which I have made 3 copies on 3 external drives.

I am going to purchase another NAS as a backup and addtional external drives as a redundency backup. in the meantime I will purchase an external drive to immediately copy the data off the NAS if StephenB can perform miracles.

I will share the logs download with StephenB via PM.

Message 4 of 9
Cheach
Tutor

A quick note to update and close off my thread.

Thank you to this community for taking an interest in my post and responded. Especially @StephenB for the time and guidance in private message.

Armed with @StephenB prognosis, we had a family meeting and the consensus is not to stress over the incident. As much as we would love to have those memories, factor in the data recovery service cost with no guarantee of results. We have decided not to engage data recovery service. With in mind that the data is now gone and no expectation, I will attempt to recover the data myself. success or failure (which is likely), I will reset the NAS and start again.

This is good and hard lesson learnt.

Going forward I will have a second NAS off site, and standalone disks as backup.

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

When you get that other NAS and move one of them to a remote location, ZeroTier is a good way to interconnect them.  That's what I use.  There are NAS-specific versions for many brands.  There is one for the ReadyNAS that was developed by another user and, though it's pretty old, it does still work.  Via SSH, you can also install (but also must administer) a newer (but not the latest) version.  I prefer ZeroTier to a general VPN because it connects just specific devices, not complete networks.  A drawback (though not much for this use) is that every device must have ZeroTier installed.  There is a hoop you have to jump through to install any app because of the outdated Debian base of the ReadyNASOS.

Some useful links to related posts:

ZeroTier-as-a-ReadyCloud-replacement 

How-I-got-apt-update-and-install-to-work-with-Debian-Jessie 

Make sure you read through everything, or maybe even start at the end and work backwards, as there have been changes and useful comments along the way.

Message 6 of 9
Cheach
Tutor

Thanks @Sandshark for the info on ZeroTier and the related links.

I was planning on using site to site VPN. but this sounds like a better solution.

With regards to a new NAS. I have been doing some light reading and watched YouTube reviews. Synology seems to be the front runner in many reviews. I am leaning towards either the DS1621+ or DS1821+.

Message 7 of 9
stambaughsonwal
Aspirant

It's crucial to address this issue promptly. Since enabling SSH has presented challenges, it's recommended to contact NETGEAR support directly for assistance. They can provide guidance on retrieving logs and potentially recovering your data. Additionally, consider checking the ReadyNAS community forums for user experiences and solutions. Best of luck in resolving the issue and recovering your family videos.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@stambaughsonwal , I have no idea why you responded as you did, but FYI, Netgear will give zero help on a legacy NAS converted to OS6 and even users of more current units are finding in nearly impossible to get support from Netgear now that they have put all ReadyNAS on the EOL list.

For assistance with this issue, @Cheach came to the right place -- this forum.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements