× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Biz Edition upgrade from 6X2TB to ?

linkup1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Biz Edition upgrade from 6X2TB to ?

I have a 2009 ReadyNAS Pro Biz Edition that has six 2TB drives and it is running RAIDiator 4.2.22.  I haven't had it on for awhile and quit using it because it filled up.  I have a couple 3TB drives on hand which wouldn't be much of an addition so maybe some 4TB drives?  

I read in another message string about a person doing a similar upgrade and couldn't get all his space and it was suggested he go to OS6.  Without doing that, how many drives can I upgrade and to what size, i.e. 3TB or 4TB?  

The message string said something about a 16TB total limit and something about increasing a volume by more than 8TB over it's original size?  I don't think my server started with these six 2TB drives in it, in fact, this model originally came with 3X500GB drives which I don't think I ever used, but I don't think I started with six drives in it.

With my luck,I would like to avoid an OS upgrade.  I am hoping I can do like the other guy, pull one out, put one in, etc.

Thanks so much for such a NetGear Newb

Lew

Message 1 of 76

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Biz Edition upgrade from 6X2TB to ?

@linkup1 wrote:

Still not getting the math.  at 14TB I already subtracted a full 4TB drive for redundancy.  Then what is the additional 1.3TB being taken away?

14 TB and 12.7 TiB are the same amount of actual space, just reported using different units Drive manufacturers always use TB.  The NAS uses TiB, but calls it TB (as does Windows).  

1 TB = 1000*1000*1000*1000 bytes

1 TiB = 1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes

To convert 14 TB to TiB, the formula is

14*(1000/1024)*(1000/1024)*(1000/1024)*(1000/1024) = 12.7 TiB.

There are similar mismatches for GB /GiB and MB/MiB.

View solution in original post

Message 75 of 76

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To use 3TB disks (or greater) you need to be running 4.2.16 or later. You're running 4.2.22 which is newer than 4.2.16 so that's fine.

Without knowing what disks you had installed when you last did a factory reset we can only guess as to whether you will run into an expansion issue or not.

You may well find you hit the 8TiB limit. If your volume capacity was 1.8TiB when you last did a factory reset you can't expand past 9.8TiB.

You also can't expand a volume past 16TiB.

OS6 has neither of these expansion limitations.

Message 2 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

There isn't a way to query the box to find out what it thinks it had at reset?

Would it harm anything to swap out a 2TB for a 3TB?  Wouldn't I know then if there was a gain in space?

Without bothering you more, is there an OS6 guide somewhere?  When I searched for info about upgrades, etc. I didn't see OS6 mentioned.

I have since determined (I think) That I have a RNDP6350.  Not sure if it is a -100 or -200?  Found my original invoice and it doesn't have the model by number at all.

Thanks so much!

Message 3 of 76
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@linkup1 wrote:

There isn't a way to query the box to find out what it thinks it had at reset?

You could send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) and I could probably make a guess.

@linkup1 wrote:

Would it harm anything to swap out a 2TB for a 3TB?  Wouldn't I know then if there was a gain in space?

You would need to swap out two (one at a time of course, wait for resync to complete before replacing next disk) before you could get vertical expansion.

@linkup1 wrote:

Without bothering you more, is there an OS6 guide somewhere?  When I searched for info about upgrades, etc. I didn't see OS6 mentioned.

It's an unsupported upgrade that you can install on your Pro. There have been several threads on this e.g. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

@linkup1 wrote:

I have since determined (I think) That I have a RNDP6350.  Not sure if it is a -100 or -200?  Found my original invoice and it doesn't have the model by number at all.

Thanks so much!

The Pro Business Edition is the -100. Also the RNDP6350 is a Pro Business Edition that shipped with 3x500GB disks. We didn't ship the Pro 6 (the -200 version) with that disk configuration.

Message 4 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

Thanks so much sir...  I have sent in the log file as a reply to the mail generated by this thread.  I started to read the OS6 thread when I noticed it was 128 pages.  I saw it mentioned that any issues could be raised as new topics but I was wondering if there was a Wiki or some sort of guide for the converstion if I wish to proceed.

My backup is taking forever....  I have some 5TB external USB drives connected to my computer and am copying the files from the NAS to them.  I started a partial backup last night that said would be a 4 hour transfer.  It is now 12 hours later and it is still chunking along....sigh...

I have never tried mounting a USB drive to the NAS.  If I could do that, I am guessing it might copy the files faster then across my network through the PC to the drive?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

I have never tried mounting a USB drive to the NAS.  If I could do that, I am guessing it might copy the files faster then across my network through the PC to the drive?

No.  Your pro only supports USB 2, and the NAS read speed over a gigabit network is faster.

Message 6 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

Stephen,

My ReadyNAS is 100MB, not a Gigabit box.

Do you still think NAS>100mb>PC>USB3 External Drive is faster than NAS>USB2?

I guess I can test both ways and see what comes up fastest.

Also, my NAS and PC are connected through a ZyXEL ES1100.  I only have one of the Ethernet cables running from the NAS.  I only have once cable from my PC to the switch.  The switch is only 100MB.

Thanks

Message 7 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

Stephen,

My ReadyNAS is 100MB, not a Gigabit box.

Your ReadyNAS (like all ReadyNAS) is gigabit.  You are running 100 mbit because your ZyXEL switch is only 100 mbit.  I suggest replacing it with a gigabit model. 

@linkup1 wrote:

Do you still think NAS>100mb>PC>USB3 External Drive is faster than NAS>USB2?

USB 2.0 should be a bit faster than fast ethernet backups.   You should be getting 11-12 MB/s now, with USB you probably would get around 17 MB/s or so (assuming NTFS formatting).

If the PC supports gigabit, then the fastest backup is a direct connect to the PC (connecting the ethernet cable directly between the PC and the NAS, bypassing the switch).  You'll need to assign a temporary static address to the PC, and access the NAS via its IP address.  But that is definitely the fastest (should be greater than 50 MB/sec even on your first generation pro).

Message 8 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

Do I feel stupid....

OK...I took a look at the Netgear line of switches and it doesn't seem there is a 16-port POE model in the lineup.  Found a 8-port version in the SOHO line.  My MOBO has an Intel 82579V Gigabit network circuitry but only one port.

I am getting ready to try and connect one of my 5TB external drives to the NAS and see how that works out.  In essence, will it use the PC as a router for a copy, or is the copy done internally in the NAS?

Thanks

Message 9 of 76
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think you may have started with 5x2TB disks.

Copying across your network would be faster

Message 10 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

thanks MDGM...so what does that mean in terms of what drives I can add to reach what total capacity without going to OS6?

Seems I have three options:

1.  swap out the 2TB drives until I reach "?" capacity

2.  back it up, put in bigger drives, do a factory refresh wiht current .22 firmware

3.  upgrade to OS6 and then I supposedly have greater drive swapping flexibility

Thanks,

Lew

Message 11 of 76
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Assuming you started with 5x2TB disks (this might not be the case) then you could potentially add four 4x4TB disks (remembering that you've already added a 6th 2TB disk) and probably be O.K. If you add too many disks expansion will fail.

2. That is an option. 4.2.22 is old firmware btw. The current firmware is 4.2.28

3. If you do that I would upgrade to 4.2.28 first.

Message 12 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

1. Assuming you started with 5x2TB disks (this might not be the case) then you could potentially add four 4x4TB disks (remembering that you've already added a 6th 2TB disk) and probably be O.K. If you add too many disks expansion will fail.

2x2TB+4x4TB would give you a 16 TB volume - that is why it maxes out at that point. 

If you started by installing one 2 TB drive and then added the remaining disks, you would already be maxed out - having reached the 8 TiB growth limit. In that case you'd need to do a factory reset (or switch to OS6) before you add any more.

Message 13 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

OK....so rather than upgrading to OS6 now, I can attempt to install 4X4TB.  Can I do 2 now and 2 later or is this a 4 at once or not?

I was looking at the wd40EFRX.  Anything I need special for the system to know what to do with a 4TB drive?

Thanks so much!

Message 14 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

OK....so rather than upgrading to OS6 now, I can attempt to install 4X4TB.  Can I do 2 now and 2 later or is this a 4 at once or not?

You mean a factory reset?

If so, you can start with 2x4TB and add the other two later on.  That will just reach the 8 TB expansion limit (4 TB -> 12 TB volume growth).

Your system should work fine with the WD40EFRX, though you might want to upgrade to 4.2.28 first.

Message 15 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

No, the other moderator looked at my log and said it looked like this build was done with 5X2TB to start with and he then assumed without a reset, I could migrate to 4X4TB plus two of the 2's.  For a total of 16TB.  At least that was my understanding.  

It takes so long to backup and restore.  I am on my second day of backing up and I am not even half way done.  If possible, I want to do the 4X4TB upgrade to 16TB.  Seems there is only a 3TB? difference between 4X4+2X2 vs. 6X4TB.

Thanks

Message 16 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

No, the other moderator looked at my log and said it looked like this build was done with 5X2TB to start with and he then assumed without a reset, I could migrate to 4X4TB plus two of the 2's.  For a total of 16TB.  At least that was my understanding.  

So you meant upgrade first to 3x2TB+2x4TB and then to 1x2TB+4x4TB.  I wasn't sure (though I was aware of mdgm's analysis).  That should be fine also.

@linkup1 wrote:

Seems there is only a 3TB? difference between 4X4+2X2 vs. 6X4TB.

The rule for single redundancy is to sum the drives and subract the largest.  6x4TB would give you a 20 TB volume.  That's 4 TB larger than 4X4+2X2 - which gives you a 16 TB volume.

If you use TiB units (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes) the numbers are about 18.2 and 14.5.

@linkup1 wrote:

It takes so long to backup and restore.  

Yes, it can take a while.  However, even RAID arrays fails, so if the data matters to you you should have a backup.  Incremental backups run a lot faster of course.

Message 17 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

For budget reasons I was going to swap out a pair of 2TBs for a pair of 4TBs, and then later, swap out two more 2s for two more 4s.  It made sense that if there was a 16TB limit, that swapping out the last two of the 2TB wouldn't increase allocation.

If I do it this way first, it seems I can still do the reset and do it the other way later when more space is needed.  It might not be the best solution, but it is easier than the alternatives 🙂

Regarding my backup, I do have two copies of everything....but I am copying the data off the NAS to create a new second copy so when I add the drives to the NAS, I am covered if there is an error.  Also, I know my two sets of data aren't duplicates, that some things were added to that the other didn't have added to it, etc...  by copying the server's copy over to a pair of 5TB drives, I will both versions of the data.

Regarding .28, I clicked the Check For Updates button and nothing happened?  The NAS is connected to the same switch as my modem is and should have access to the net.

Just checked my modem...it doesn't see the PB as active...it has seen it on it's IP as it is in the device table, but doesn't show as available.  I am flumuxed as  usual...time to call it a night....thanks...

Message 18 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

For budget reasons I was going to swap out a pair of 2TBs for a pair of 4TBs, and then later, swap out two more 2s for two more 4s.  It made sense that if there was a 16TB limit, that swapping out the last two of the 2TB wouldn't increase allocation.

If I do it this way first, it seems I can still do the reset and do it the other way later when more space is needed.  It might not be the best solution, but it is easier than the alternatives 🙂

I agree.  My Pro-6 is running at 15 TB, and would hit the expansion limit if I try to go higher.  It's still running 4.2.x, but I see no reason to change (unless I need to do a reset for some other reason).

@linkup1 wrote:

Regarding .28, I clicked the Check For Updates button and nothing happened?  The NAS is connected to the same switch as my modem is and should have access to the net.

It should be seeing it. You could try adding 8.8.8.8 to your DNS server list on the router.  Or just download it manually and upload it from a PC.  The firmware is here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30002/~/raidiator-x86-version-4.2.28  You unzip it (you can't upload the zip file).

Message 19 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

Could the router call it DNS Host Mapping?  That is all I saw in the setup similar to what I think you are describing to get the router to see the PB.  It has seen it in the past.  Don't know what is different.

If I get it all backed up....should I serious consider OS6?  For now, I could add two 3TB drives so I would at least gain a little space and then add 4TB later?  I understand OS6 isn't as fussy about adding bigger drives later?

Couldn't find OS6 install instructions?

Thanks so much!

Message 20 of 76
StephenB
Guru

DNS host mapping usually just lets you bind a name to a specific IP address.  It's not particularly useful unless you have a far-end device with a static IP address that doesn't have a real DNS name.

Most routers obtain their DNS servers automatically (from the ISP). Usually there is a way to switch it to fixed IP addresses.  You'd need to note the DNS servers being used now, and manually add them to the list (if you want to keep using them).

@linkup1 wrote:

If I get it all backed up....should I serious consider OS6? 

If you want to go above 16 TiB in the future, you should.  It would also let you use ReadyCloud.

It will require a full factory reset, so you will need to have all your data backed up.  OS6 has more features overall, but there are one or two small gaps.  One is that OS6 currently requires symmetric power schedules (each power on needs a power off).  OS4 lets you power on with no power off,  Another is that an OS 4 backup job can be set up to send a WoL packet to the remote source or destination. For some reason OS 6 left that feature out.

There are instructions in the forum, post back if you plan to pursue it.

@linkup1 wrote:

For now, I could add two 3TB drives so I would at least gain a little space and then add 4TB later?

You could do that (since your largest installed drive now is 2 TB).  Certainly less money, but if you look at $ per TB gained it isn't as cost effective as adding 2x4TB.

2x3TB gives you 1 TB for around $220 (assuming WD30EFRX at current US amazon price).  2x4TB gives you 2 TB for around $300.

Message 21 of 76
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Hi guys..

I'm running a Pro biz edition on 6.5.0 and its running more or less perfect.

Started on the thread linked earlier and followed the instructions. Worked perfectly.

I have a question: which is the max space i can use with leagacy nas and os6.5.0?

i'm running 6x3TB drives today which where present when i upgraded to os 6 the first time.

BR

/HANS

Message 22 of 76
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi viperhansa,

Which Legacy ReadyNAS are you using?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 76
StephenB
Guru

@viperhansa wrote:

I have a question: which is the max space i can use with leagacy nas and os6.5.0?

/HANS

There are no known expansion limits with OS 6.5.  There are some rack-mount legacy x86 NAS that can't handle GPT formatting in some slots.  But since you have 3 TB installed already, you don't have those.

So at the moment you could go to 6x8TB if you wanted to. In practice the resync time might be a problem, especially if you use dual-redundancy.

Message 24 of 76
linkup1
Aspirant

>DNS host mapping usually just lets you bind a name to a specific IP address.  It's not particularly useful unless you have a far-end device with a static IP address that doesn't have a real DNS name.

>Most routers obtain their DNS servers automatically (from the ISP). Usually there is a way to switch it to fixed IP addresses.  You'd need to note the DNS servers being used now, and manually add them to the list (if you want to keep using them).

I asked as I wasn't able to find a feature in my modem that would allow me to do what I thought you were asking me to do.  I just don't know why my modem doesn't think the NAS is there so the NAS can't see the net for updates, etc.

>There are instructions in the forum, post back if you plan to pursue it.

I found an old message string about the steps to do the OS6 upgrade.  It is a locked string but it gave me what I hope is the right steps to move forward.

>You could do that (since your largest installed drive now is 2 TB).  Certainly less money, but if you look at $ per TB gained it isn't as cost effective as adding 2x4TB.

2x3TB gives you 1 TB for around $220 (assuming WD30EFRX at current US amazon price).  2x4TB gives you 2 TB for around $300.

I got the math, but I already have two 3tBs I am not using.  Was building a Winserver and never finished the project.  12-bay RAID box...have everything to finish it, but never did.  Part of my hesitation is the box sounds I moved to the runway, i.e. the airport.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 25 of 76
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 75 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements