× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition and disk 4Tb

Dane2000
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition and disk 4Tb

Hello all!
I need your help. I've use ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition with 4 disks and with no RAID (stand alone volumes): 500Gb, 2*2Tb, 4Tb. So, I want to add another 4Tb disk. But no luck. NAS has seeing new disk. There's note in log: "New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 5]". But there's no possibility to add new volume (no new disk tab). What's wrong? Any ideas?
P.S. New disk is from hardware compatibilities list and the same model already has been added some time ago.

NAS: Netgear Ready NAS Pro (6 slots), firware 4.2.31

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Dane2000 wrote:

Problem has no solution if I'll use 4.2.x systems? 

I think not.  Though one practical possibility is for you to back up your 500GB volume, and remove it.  Then you should be able to add a new bigger volume (re-creating the shares on the original volume and restoring the files from your backup).

@Dane2000 wrote:

In additional: in this case, I'll must to search, how to backup all my huge data?

You should have your data backed up anyway.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe - and you don't even have RAID redundancy. 

USB backup drives are a cost effective way (though I prefer backing up to other NAS myself).  You can connect them to the Pro directly, though you will find it's faster to back up over gigabit ethernet (connecting the USB drive to a PC).  There are several windows utilities that can handle this automatically (on schedule) - including FreeFileSync.

If you prefer to connect the drive to the NAS, you can set up incremental backups using rsync from the NAS backup job menus.  The trick here is to pretend the source is remote (using 127.0.0.1 for it's IP address).  

@Dane2000 wrote:

Shall I changed system to OS6? Will it solve my problem? 

The OS-6 software manual says it will (see page 24).  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Though I haven't tried it (I use XRAID on my 6-bay NAS).

FWIW, if you do convert to OS-6 I suggest upgrading the memory in the Pioneer.  Newer ReadyNAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, the Pioneer shipped with only 1 GB.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The problem is that 4.2.x systems are limited to 4 volumes (which you already have).

Apart from that, you'd need to be looking for the add volume tab, not add disk.

Message 2 of 7
Dane2000
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.
Remark: of course, I'd looking for "add volume" tab (sorry, english is not my native language) :0)
Problem has no solution if I'll use 4.2.x systems? Shall I changed system to OS6? Will it solved my problem? In additional: in this case, I'll must to search, how to backup all my huge data?

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Dane2000 wrote:

Problem has no solution if I'll use 4.2.x systems? 

I think not.  Though one practical possibility is for you to back up your 500GB volume, and remove it.  Then you should be able to add a new bigger volume (re-creating the shares on the original volume and restoring the files from your backup).

@Dane2000 wrote:

In additional: in this case, I'll must to search, how to backup all my huge data?

You should have your data backed up anyway.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe - and you don't even have RAID redundancy. 

USB backup drives are a cost effective way (though I prefer backing up to other NAS myself).  You can connect them to the Pro directly, though you will find it's faster to back up over gigabit ethernet (connecting the USB drive to a PC).  There are several windows utilities that can handle this automatically (on schedule) - including FreeFileSync.

If you prefer to connect the drive to the NAS, you can set up incremental backups using rsync from the NAS backup job menus.  The trick here is to pretend the source is remote (using 127.0.0.1 for it's IP address).  

@Dane2000 wrote:

Shall I changed system to OS6? Will it solve my problem? 

The OS-6 software manual says it will (see page 24).  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Though I haven't tried it (I use XRAID on my 6-bay NAS).

FWIW, if you do convert to OS-6 I suggest upgrading the memory in the Pioneer.  Newer ReadyNAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, the Pioneer shipped with only 1 GB.

Message 4 of 7
Dane2000
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your detailed answer.
1. Yes, I was thinking of replacing a 500 Gb drive with a new one. Maybe I'll do it.
2. About OS 6. Could you point me to detailed and understandable instructions for migrating from RAIDiator to OS 6? Most of links in topics, related to this case, are dead (like http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/OS6_on_Legacy_x86 and so on). I'd already upgraded my ReadyNAS to 4Gb RAM.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Dane2000 wrote:

Could you point me to detailed and understandable instructions for migrating from RAIDiator to OS 6?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Newbie-Upgrade-for-Ultra-2-from-OS4...

Message 6 of 7
Dane2000
Aspirant

Thanks again. Very useful.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements