× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Power up delay issues

andrewmillner
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Power up delay issues

I set, some time ago, my ReadyNAS Pro to power on/off as per the CHRONO option on the menu. It works fine. The ReadyNAS powers up, and powers off at the appropriate time set.

Recently, I have noticed that if I power down manually the unit rather than wait for the CHRONO to do so, or if I unplug the unit and plug in the unit again some hours later, the front power off/on button does not work. What I mean is that the unit does not immediately power up.

I initially thought the power supply had failed when this first happened. However, I could see the Ethernet port flickering away suggesting there was some power to the unit. Repeatedly switching off and on the rear power switch or swapping mains cables made no difference. The unit would not "power up" immediately.

Repeated pressing of the front power button, also seemed to have no affect.

However, when I made sure that I had got power to the unit, and rear switch was powered on, I pressed the front power button one more time. Nothing.... I walked away dejected, thinking the unit was a failed unit.

I went off to make a cup of tea, and paced up and down thinking about whether I needed a new PSU, and then hey presto!!!! Roughly 10-15 minutes later after I had last pressed the front power switch, the ReadyNAS Pro powered on by itself!!!!!

What on earth is happening? Perhaps the ReadyNAS is going through a diagnostic process, which I am not aware of?

As a matter of interest, the other day when the unit was powering down via the CHRONO process ( I mean the menu which allow you to set when the unit powers up and powers off) the unit then immediately powered up after a few seconds. I then manually powered it down as I did not want the unit to keep running overnight.

I cannot see any other posts about this on this forum, so thought I would post this to see if anyone has had the same experience.
Message 1 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

I also reported this exact same behavior when I bought a used Pro-6 a year ago
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73600&p=408975#p408975

My old NAS-NV (SPARC) would power up the instant I pushed the front panel button
but the Pro would just sit and ignore the front power button for about 1.5 to 2 minutes
then start up, after being disconnected from mains power for some time.

I never did receive an answer from this forum.

The seller of the NAS did put in the posting that the unit took >60 seconds to power up
from first applying power and that this was normal.
Message 2 of 29
andrewmillner
Aspirant

Thank you for your post.

Yes, I was really worried I had lost my unit.

I just cannot understand how if you leave it alone for what I think is about 10 minutes, it suddenly erupts into life.

I'm sure we cannot be alone.

I get no error message show up in the Health log either.

It's very odd.
Message 3 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

I did notice, just as you did that if you power down (power button/frontview/schedule) and do NOT turn off
main power switch or unplug box, the front power button works later to start up the unit (or from schedule).

Since the MB is a generic Intel computer, I suspect the scheduled powerdown/powerup is done by the hardware
and is scheduled by the BIOS and onboard clock chip. I know you can read/write to CMOS from Linux, so having
frontview change the stored schedule the CMOS memory is possible.
Message 4 of 29
ultra6ns
Aspirant

I have seen the same delay problem when powering on on my RNDU6000 (Ultra 6). Boot delay varies between (20s to minutes) after pressing the Power on button. I have also reported this issue to Netgear Support (9 days ago) who requested a log-dump from the system. My support case is (NETGEAR Support Case #22825862).
Message 5 of 29
andrewmillner
Aspirant

Interesting. So something is going on then. At least I'm not alone. I believe there is some kind of diagnostic process going on. I guess we'll see if anyone else has experienced the same issue
Message 6 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Out of interest if you download the logs, what are the contents of bios_ver.log ?
Message 7 of 29
andrewmillner
Aspirant

I only see my health logs, and no errors show on there. Simply power off and on alerts. That's all I see.
Message 8 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Status > Logs > Download all logs. Extract zip contents. What does bios_ver.log look like?
Message 9 of 29
andrewmillner
Aspirant

This bios_ver.log shows 10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6
Message 10 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

On my system, bios_ver.log: 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0
Message 11 of 29
ultra6ns
Aspirant

During the last 1-2 weeks I have been in contact with Netgear Support concerning my Support Case #22825862 (which I described above, that also concerns a delay when booting the my ReadyNAS Ultra6).

I sent the logdump-file to Netgear Support (who requested it for analysis). They did not see anything out of the ordinary except that they gave a remark on that I have several on and off:s on the machine (or start:s and stop:s as they call it, some +1000).

I tipped Netgear Support that maybe we should look into upgrading the BIOS, as the issue seen must occur before the whole system starts (power to the motherboard and fan:s starting). Likely the BIOS is not the problem but I thought it was worth a shot.

So I upgraded my Ultra6 BIOS from FLAME6-2 V1.1 to "06/10/2010 FLAME6-2 V1.1", hence the latest one available (the file used was called BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin). No improvement seen after upgrading the BIOS.

Then Netgear Support asked my to put the unit in Tech-Support-Mode so they could check it online form the Netgear U.S. They could not see anything out of the ordinary either.

The last thing they asked me to do was to pull out my disks and insert a new disk, and format it, and see if the boot-delay remains after doing this system reset. If the problem would remain according to Netgear Support, then it is likely a HW issue and I must send my unit to Netgear Support.

I have not initiated this last request from Netgear Support. I need to get a drive first.
Message 12 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

I had the same power-up issues before I updated my BIOS, and after the update.
As you can see from a previous entry, I have a V2 CPU board in my RNDP-600 (pro-6)

And for disk drives, I have tried reloading the software on three different drives.
The ReadyNAS came without any drives, so first set was just a pair of 500GB Seagate's.
Next I tried six 2GB Hitachi drives, and last (current state) is with four 4GB drives
leaving two open drive bays. All with same power on delay of about two minutes.

So between both of our efforts I think that we have tried quite a few hardware
configurations.
Message 13 of 29
andrewmillner
Aspirant

I don't want to start replacing HDD as I have already recently upgraded all of mine to 3gb. My ReadyNas PRO is working fine 99% of the time powering down and up using the clock settings. I just find the power delay when I manually power down then remove the power cable or use the rear power off switch. When I then switch the rear power switch back on and use the front power button this is when I experience the 2-10 minute delay before it boots up. Perhaps it's a feature!!
Message 14 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

I agree that just replacing disk drives would be a big PITA.
Since my ReadyNAS came diskless, I was just offering up that the drives (or lack of) do not affect the 'cold' power up delay.
When I migrated from the six 2GB drives to the four 4GB drives it took almost two weeks (one week for backup over net, then one for restore).

At this time I would say that it looks like a power supply hardware issue. If I had schematics' I would hook up my O-scope the low voltage standby
circuit to see if it is supplying correct voltage when the main power switch is first set to ON. Ater that the next place to scope out would be the
power-good signal, to check that it is also valid after the main switch is turned on.
Message 15 of 29
fastfwd
Virtuoso

menkelis wrote:
At this time I would say that it looks like a power supply hardware issue. If I had schematics' I would hook up my O-scope the low voltage standby
circuit to see if it is supplying correct voltage when the main power switch is first set to ON. Ater that the next place to scope out would be the
power-good signal, to check that it is also valid after the main switch is turned on.

The power supply is a standard SFX type, so pinouts of the output connector are readily available on the web. With a scope (or a known-good power supply to swap in), you could test the power supply itself without a schematic.
Message 16 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

I just thought of that this very minute, and will dig out a spare PC power supply to confirm if the issue is with motherboard or the installed
power supply.
I will post back the results of this test a little latter as my spare's are not here at home.
Message 17 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

Ok I yanked the OEM Seasonic power supply and connected up my Antex True550 PC power supply.
From flip of power switch to 'blue' light on ReadyNAS ON = 2.80 seconds.
This is REPEATABLE.

Info from label on OEM supply.
Seasonic
Model: SS-300SFD Active PFC F3
S/N: CO02A00190381 Rev: A4W
AC INPUT: 100-240V~ 5A 50-60Hz
DC OUTPUT:
20A@ +3.3v 20A@+5v 8A@+12v1 14.5A@+12v2 0.8A@-12v 2A@+5s
20A rail: 125w(28A) Max
All others: 270w
Total: 300watts
Mainboard connector: 24 pin
12 Volt Aux 4 pin connector: 1
Drive power connectors: 3 x 4 pin molex

Case size:
5"(W) x 2.5"(H) x 4"(D) Fan sticks out back .5"
Message 18 of 29
StephenB
Guru

If you are still under warranty try contacting support at support.netgear.com, and get a new supply.

Warranty is 5 years for the original purchaser.
Message 19 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

I bought this used off of EBay last year.
I have taken OEM supply apart and the first thing
That jumped out at me was a capacitor that had
Was bulging out the pressure release.
I removed it and checked the value(2200 uF)
But my tester showed only 900uF.
At this time I have not yet tried the repair as
I am waiting for some silllastic to harden.
Message 20 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

Well it thought things were getting better, turn-on time was about six seconds.
But then something else went out. I think the next step is to get get another power supply.
I have seen the same mfg/model on EBay.
Message 21 of 29
fastfwd
Virtuoso

menkelis wrote:
I have seen the same mfg/model on EBay.

Buy a new one from an authorized distributor instead. The output cable on the supply you get will be too short (Netgear's power supplies have a custom extended cable), so you'll also need to buy an ATX power supply extension cable.

Both pieces are widely available, and not very expensive. For example... $47 total, plus $6 shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200121
Message 22 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

Newegg is cheaper than EBay, so I just ordered the power supply.
To keep access to my data I have just left my spare ATX power supply connected to the ReadyNAS.
Message 23 of 29
menkelis
Tutor

New power supply just arrived and installed, everything now works as expected.
Message 24 of 29
ultra6ns
Aspirant

It was some time ago I wrote on this thread due to also having power up delays on my Ultra6.

Two days ago my unit died completely. When "power on" only the ReadyNAS text is showed on the display with no noise from any HD! It is NOT possible to go into the OS boot menu. TRied with and without HD:s. Tried to insert a different HD. No joy!!!!!

I was hoping due to the latest symptoms of power-up delays, that the issue would be related to the PSU.

After disassembled the unit on performed the famous paper-clip test on the 24 pin connector (short circuiting green and black) and measured on the voltage pins: both on the 24 pin (connected to the motherboard) and the molex connectors (power-feeding the HD:s), I could not find any issue with the Seasonic PSU SS-300SFD. Hence, fans are working normally,

This leaves me to believe the motherboard is the issue.

Called the Netgear support and as the unit is more than 3 years old there is no longer any support. SO IN TOTAL, I have had 4 NAS crashes with the ReadyNas Ultra6 for which of 3 RMA:s were issued and a full new unit was issued to me over a period of 3 years and 7 months. Asked if I can borrow a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to extract the data on my drives which I am 100% certain are not corrupted. "That support is not something we grant our customers after the warranty has expired" was the answer from the support.

Seriously, I did not expect this shitty quality on a high-end NAS.

I will now buy a Synology 1513+ and NEVER look back on NETGEAR. This will be the last post I will make on this Forum.

To NETGEAR, Thank You and Goodbye
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements