× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 - System volume root's usage is 86%. Antivirus does not work

Vinfo1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 - System volume root's usage is 86%. Antivirus does not work

I got the alert: System volume root's usage is 86%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.
Also my Antivirus is not updating anymore since March 5th , 2019.
With SSH, I deleted all the .tmp-directories in var/lib/clamav. Because these directorie were eating my capacity in the root. So the root is not critical anymore.
I turned off the antivirus service. But how do i get the antivirus working properly again?
OS = 6.9.5
Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Vinfo1

Antivirus is actually removed on the RN100 series due to the capability of the RN100 series to maintain ClamAV and the ReadyNAS operations effectively so to be able to provide future updates and security enhancements on the RN100 series, NETGEAR has to pull off ClamAV.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Announcements-Stories/Changes-coming-in-RNOS-6-10-0/td-p/1...

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0

If you really want to get ClamAV working on your RN104 then you don't have to update to 6.10 but continued usage of ClamAV on your RN104 might degrade performance overtime. You might want to check other threads on removing the files filling up the OS volume before restarting your Antivirus or if you have full backup of your NAS, Factory reset is another option.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Vinfo1

Antivirus is actually removed on the RN100 series due to the capability of the RN100 series to maintain ClamAV and the ReadyNAS operations effectively so to be able to provide future updates and security enhancements on the RN100 series, NETGEAR has to pull off ClamAV.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Announcements-Stories/Changes-coming-in-RNOS-6-10-0/td-p/1...

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0

If you really want to get ClamAV working on your RN104 then you don't have to update to 6.10 but continued usage of ClamAV on your RN104 might degrade performance overtime. You might want to check other threads on removing the files filling up the OS volume before restarting your Antivirus or if you have full backup of your NAS, Factory reset is another option.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
Vinfo1
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V

Thanks for your answer. It is clear.

Fortunately, I do not need the antivirus on my NAS. I haven't it connected directly to the internet ans I use the NAS only as a classic network storage solution. No apps and no downloads etc.

Hopefully OS 6.10 will remove the legacy of the Antivirus properly, othwerwise I need to do it by myself manually. Always a risk...

Message 3 of 6
Studunny
Aspirant

Firmware 6.10.0

I was getting the same message (although mine was 95%) I managed to upgrade to 6.10.10 via the USB recovery version as I could no longer access the admin page on my browsers.

I not get dailly emails to say "Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure" and another to say "System volume root's usage is 95%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

Tecnical support will not help as the unit is out of warrenty.

I have tried again to use the USB recovery and it keeps failing and switching the unit off.

Is there a way to log into the system and delete some files?

I have downloaded the system log using RAIDar (can't attach due to it being a zip file).

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

I can still access the volumes / files; just not the admin page etc.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 4 of 6
Vinfo1
Aspirant

Hi Stuart,

The only procedure I know, is to use SSH. Hopefully You have switched on the SSH-service.

With SSH you can access the system volume, which is not part of your normal volumes.

And then you can remove the AV-files.

Strange that the upgrade to 6.10 not remove the AV-configuration form your NAS.

But I see now that there is a hotfix available https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Announcements-Stories/ReadyNAS-OS-6-10-0-Hotfix-2-now-avai...

You can try to install the hotfix.

Vincent

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Studunny wrote:

Tecnical support will not help as the unit is out of warrenty.

That's not correct.  They will still provide paid support (assuming you are the original purchaser).  They will charge you though.

@Studunny wrote:

I have downloaded the system log using RAIDar (can't attach due to it being a zip file).

You shouldn't post the log zip file publicly anyway - there is some leakage of privacy when you do that.

@Studunny wrote:

Is there a way to log into the system and delete some files?

I can still access the volumes / files; just not the admin page etc.

There is a way, though you need to know what is safe to delete.

Is ssh enabled on your NAS?

Since you can access the files,  I strongly recommend backing up the NAS before you proceed any further.

@Studunny wrote:

Firmware 6.10.0

I was getting the same message (although mine was 95%) I managed to upgrade to 6.10.10 via the USB recovery version as I could no longer access the admin page on my browsers.

That was risky, it would have been much better to deal with the full OS partition first.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements