× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus connection to Windows 10 File System

DBoneSF
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus connection to Windows 10 File System

I'm a longtime user (first time poster!) of ReadyNAS.  Started on the DUO and moved to the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus that I have been running for years.  Very minor things have happened and I have managed to work it out through trial and error and google searches and this fourm.  I'm hoping I can get some direct support on something that I have seen other messages about but no solution works for me yet!  My setup is running the latest firmware (RAIDiator 4.2.31) as of today.

Issue:  I can not access the folders and files through Windows (File) Explorer like I used to be able to do before Windows 10.  I can access the panel through a browser.  I can access the folders and files through a browser but I need the functionality to move files and folders directly through Explorer.  I "see" the ReadyNAS in Explorer but when double clicking on the storage icon I'm returned with a message about an interrupted Action and "Error 0x80004002:No such interface supported"

What I've done so far: Updated Firmware to latest on ReadyNAS.  Updated Windows to latest.  Check these message boards alot and followed a number of the suggestions there for security settings and other actions.  Stopped and restarted the "Standard File Protocals" - CIFS, NFS, AFP and FTP (covering all bases!).  Used the ReadyNAS system to reset the folders and files security values and checked the "Shares" settings for each protocal.  Searched the web for notes about the windows error code and other boards as much as I can.

I'm suck right now and would really appreciate some help and maybe a few pointers or other suggestions?

Cheers

Model: RNDP400U (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus)|READYNAS ULTRA 4 PLUS (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 8
DBoneSF
Aspirant

I should also add that when I go to mount the drive I get the error that share requires the outdated SMB1 protocal! Then goes on to say that system requires SMB2.  I have done a little search on that and tried using windows pointshell and 

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

but that didn't seem to work for me?

Cheers 

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Go into "turn windows features on or off" and see if the SMB 1.0/CIFS client is enabled.  If it isn't, then enable it.

There are security implications, but OS 4.2.x doesn't support the newer SMB 3.0 protocol.

Message 3 of 8
DBoneSF
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB

I looked into those settings and found them not checked!  I checked them and restarted.  Getting different messages and non can not get as far along in mapping a share.  It now fails at the user/password entey saying "A specified login session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."  This is at the enter network credentials when mapping the share.

Thanks again for the support

Message 4 of 8
DBoneSF
Aspirant

I also tried the powershell activiation again using:

and that came back with the same error about "The requested operation needs elevation."  At line:1 char:1 

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@DBoneSF wrote:

I also tried the powershell activiation again using:

and that came back with the same error about "The requested operation needs elevation."  At line:1 char:1 

Run powershell as administrator.

Also, you can try mapping a share from the windows cmd line (command prompt).  Something like

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:username password

The first command terminates any open network sessions (and will dismount any shares already mapped to drive letters) - useful for testing, but not something you'd do when mapping a second share.

BTW, a workaround is to enable NFS on the NAS, and install the Windows NFS client.

Message 6 of 8
DBoneSF
Aspirant

You rock.  That CMD code now worked to mount the drive t: under my PC.  I don't care where it is just as long as I can map it!!  Thanks for also catching that I didn't run powershell as admin!  I did that first and run teh script then followed the CMD outlined.

I still don't understand why windows 10 will not "see" the shares as it did before but I'm a small user in a large pond and can live with this for now!  Thanks StephenB

Cheers

Dom

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You should go into the windows credential manager, and enter a "windows credential" for the NAS (using the nas address, username, and password that you just used on the command line).  That should make it easier the next time you reboot (windows will automatically use that credential for the NAS in the future).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements