× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus - OS Partition Full

lits1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus - OS Partition Full

Hi All,

It would appear I'm the latest to fall victim to the OS Partition Full issue. I managed to run 'df -h' this morning and confirmed that my OS partition (/dev/md0) is at capacity. I had SSH connectivity functional earlier today, but that seems to have dropped out at some stage. When I try to connect now I get the following error:

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

Frontview is no longer responding to changes I make, so I can't force a reboot at all now without using the power button (which I can't do, because I'm not on location with the NAS). Is there anything I can do to restore connectivity when I get back tomorrow? I'm very wary about trying to boot into Tech Support mode and attempting a fix via telnet.

Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With the OS partition full it's likely tech support mode is going to be the only way to fix it.

Do you have any idea as to why it is full?

As soon as you notice the OS partition is full (if it does fill up) it's important to find out why and deal with it.

Message 2 of 10
lits1
Aspirant

I actually have another NAS experiencing the same problem. I managed to catch it before SSH failed.

/var/log/syslog was 1.8 GB

/var/log/kern.log was also 1.8 GB

I moved both out to /c/media/Downloads, but now Frontview doesn't seem to be loading after rebooting...

Message 3 of 10
lits1
Aspirant

Scratch that, Frontview is loading just fine.

The primary NAS is now completely inaccessible though, I won't have any choice other than to try Tech Support mode and Telnet to move the log files off the OS partition.

Message 4 of 10
lits1
Aspirant

I got the NAS into Tech Support Mode and removed the offending log files, after rebooting all of my add-ons seem to have started up again without issue. There is a definite issue with Frontview on this NAS after reboot though, it's not recognising my admin password.

I've tried the default admin/netgear1 and a few other old user/pass combo's this NAS has had in its lifetime. No joy.

Is this normal after coming out of Tech Support Mode? Do I need to do an OS Reinstall now? I'd rather not lose all my settings and add-ons if that's at all possible...

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@lits1 wrote:

Is this normal after coming out of Tech Support Mode? Do I need to do an OS Reinstall now? I'd rather not lose all my settings and add-ons if that's at all possible...

I don't think its normal.  An OS reinstall should fix it.  But if your backup is not up to date, I'd take care of that before I'd do anything.

Message 6 of 10
lits1
Aspirant

Will an OS Reinstall remove all of the Add-On's I have installed? I'm running ownCloud for file sync and a few other shared-service add-ons. I'd like to know ahead of time what will be affected if I go ahead with the reinstall.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@lits1 wrote:

Will an OS Reinstall remove all of the Add-On's I have installed?

No.

It resets the network config to dhcp, and the NAS admin to the default (netgear1 for OS 4.2.x).  No other settings and no add-ons are affected.

Message 8 of 10
lits1
Aspirant

Killer. I'll give it a go tonight after backing up the mission-critical data.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the OS partition gets full then some configuration can get corrupted. There can certainly be more to fixing a system with a full OS partition than simply removing files that are filling up the space.

If onfig has been corrupted then it is possible that an OS Re-install may not fix it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements