× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 still won't scheduled power on under 4.

nixlimited
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 still won't scheduled power on under 4.2.17

I thought that scheduled power-on was one of the items being fixed, but under 4.2.17 my Ultra 6 will not power on properly according to schedule. I can't believe that this $1K device cannot complete such a simple operation. Any idea on what firmware release will actually resolve this issue?
Message 1 of 14
fbmachines
Guide

nixlimited wrote:
I thought that scheduled power-on was one of the items being fixed, but under 4.2.17 my Ultra 6 will not power on properly according to schedule. I can't believe that this $1K device cannot complete such a simple operation. Any idea on what firmware release will actually resolve this issue?

What version BIOS (not RAIDiator) are you running in your Ultra 6? According to Chirpa's post, if the date is before 6-10-10 you are using old BIOS that still have the schedule issue.

How to check your BIOS version...
Download your system logs (FrontView>Status>Logs>Download All Logs). Open bios_ver.log.
Message 2 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please note that the BIOS update is now available as an add-on. If you have an Ultra 6 (e.g. RNDU6000) with an old BIOS then e.g. tech support could provide you with the add-on. The add-on has been available for quite a while now.

I don't think you have this, but you should note that the Ultra 6 Plus (RNDP600U) has very different hardware and thus has a different older BIOS that works fine.
Message 3 of 14
nixlimited
Aspirant

From BIOS Version log: 05/26/2010 FLAME6-2 V1.1

Looks like I have the old BIOS, so how do I go about getting the add-on for the update?

Note: I sent Chirpa a message regarding the new bios in January and never heard back. I just resent.
Message 4 of 14
fbmachines
Guide

You can create an online support case from the link below.

https://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp

They will provide a download link for the add-on.
Message 5 of 14
nixlimited
Aspirant

Excellent. Thanks. Just submitted a ticket so hopefully I can get this fixed soon!
Message 6 of 14
mkujawa
Aspirant

Hello. Same problem with Ultra 2 here. Scheduled power up doesn't work. I've given up this scenario. Also there is some issue with powering up on 4.2.17 firmware. Sometimes there is no Temp1 being monitored - so device freezes after 10-15 minutes - apparently being too hot and not speeding up the fan to cool down temp1. Need to shut it down and restart. Always must check if Temp1 monitoring exists. If it exists - device runs smoothly for days. Please check it up.
Message 7 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

mkujawa your issue is quite different. Please use a different thread and post you case number there.
Message 8 of 14
nixlimited
Aspirant

Got a new BIOS from Netgear today, new version log says: 06/10/2010 FLAME6-2 V1.1. I assume because the date is different that I am indeed running a new version. Weird that they wouldn't increment the v number though. Here's hoping it will start on schedule now!
Message 9 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes that's the new version. It should work fine now.
Message 10 of 14
nixlimited
Aspirant

Upgraded firmware fixed the scheduled power-on bug! Bravo. Not sure why Netgear makes it so difficult to get a firmware upgrade for a known-issue.
Message 11 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If people tried to install the BIOS Update add-on on units it's not designed for it could have pretty bad consequences. Some people do install all the addons they can find even if it's expressly stated that the add-on is only for an individual ReadyNAS model.
Message 12 of 14
nixlimited
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
If people tried to install the BIOS Update add-on on units it's not designed for it could have pretty bad consequences. Some people do install all the addons they can find even if it's expressly stated that the add-on is only for an individual ReadyNAS model.

So punish the smart to protect the stupid? This is a pretty high-end product with pretty sophisticated users. It's not that I am arguing with your premise, but I still think it's a bad policy. I have lived with 9 months of underperformance because I couldn't get ready access to an update. That's poor customer service no matter how you slice it.
Message 13 of 14
chf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with nixlimited here.
Maybe an obvious question... Can't they add some functionality to the add-on so it will only run when it is installed on the correct nas -type?
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements