× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS duo v1

Knorske
Aspirant

ReadyNAS duo v1

I have been using my ReadyNAS duo V1 (2150) for quite some time.  Suddenly, it quit communicating, and has "disappeared" from my network.  The blue "on" button light is on, but it dims, occasionally to off.  The two drive lights do not come on, but the "activity" light will blink.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS duo v1

@Knorske wrote:

I am almost afraid to ask, but ....  I have a second ReadyNAS duo, and it is V2 (versus the V1 which is "in trouble").  Would I encounter the same incompatibility trying to load my V1 disks into the V2 as you indicate I would have trying to use a "new" ReadNAS?

Yes,  Your V2 uses an arm processor, so you can't migrate the V1 drives to it.

@Knorske wrote:

I know the "use the linux reader" sounds like the proverbial piece of cake, but I am dealing with ALL my data files!!  (Yikes!  and Good Golly, Miss Molly!!)

Could you please "point" me to a source which will reveal which of the "older" ReadyNAS units are compatible with the disks in my 2150 v1?  Is there some "clue" in the model number, or ...?

A duo 2150 shipped with a 500GB drive, so there really isn't a lot of data to copy.  Even if you upgraded the disk later, it would only have 2 TB max.  Truth is, linux reader is the easiest (and I think safest) next step.

The compatible desktop NAS are duo v1, nv, or nv+ v1.   You can use this guide to distinguish v1 from v2:  http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/  

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You've had it over 6 years now.

Do you have another copy of the data on this NAS.

Is the NAS visible in RAIDar?

Have you tried powring off the NAS and trying to turn it on again? Do you get the same result if you do that?

You could try powering down, remove your disks (label order), hooking them up to your PC and testing them (e.g. using SeaTools for SeaGate disks and WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for WD disks).

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you want to extract the data, you could try using linux reader ( http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ ) on the first disk while you have it connected to the PC.

Message 3 of 10
Knorske
Aspirant

Thank you for the responses.

I have tried the off/on (reboot) option, a couple of times, with no result.  ALL my data (expect e-mail, probably) are on the ReadyNAS--my thought, the data are safe there, considering the second-disk-auto-backup.  Of course, I was not anticipating the entire unit to shut down.  The unit does not show on RAIDar.

If we presume the disks are OK, and the failure is the unit, itself, will placing the disks in a new unit give me access to the disks' data?  Netgear no longer sells the model I have, so the "newest" unit would be the 102 (for instance).

If I must extract the data, other than from a a Netgear ReadyNAS, must I install (one of the) disks in my PC?

Again, many thanks!

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Knorske wrote:

If we presume the disks are OK, and the failure is the unit, itself, will placing the disks in a new unit give me access to the disks' data?  Netgear no longer sells the model I have, so the "newest" unit would be the 102 (for instance).

No.  All the newer NAS use different file systems, and use different CPUs.

@Knorske wrote:

If I must extract the data, other than from a a Netgear ReadyNAS, must I install (one of the) disks in my PC?

Linux Reader is a windows application and is one of the easier ways. You would need to connect the first disk to a PC.  A USB adapter or enclosure would work.  You don't initialize/format the drive for windows, that would destroy your data.  Linux Reader will read the data disk if it is healthy and you were using XRAID.

You could also mount the disk in a linux PC (a variation is to boot your PC with a linux boot CD/DVD).

Message 5 of 10
Knorske
Aspirant

Stephen ...

Again, thank you for a quick and informative response.

I am almost afraid to ask, but ....  I have a second ReadyNAS duo, and it is V2 (versus the V1 which is "in trouble").  Would I encounter the same incompatibility trying to load my V1 disks into the V2 as you indicate I would have trying to use a "new" ReadNAS?

I know the "use the linux reader" sounds like the proverbial piece of cake, but I am dealing with ALL my data files!!  (Yikes!  and Good Golly, Miss Molly!!)

Message 6 of 10
Knorske
Aspirant

Stephen ...

Could you please "point" me to a source which will reveal which of the "older" ReadyNAS units are compatible with the disks in my 2150 v1?  Is there some "clue" in the model number, or ...?

I am researching getting a replacement in the hopes of not destroying or otherwise damaging my data. 

(I thought it was bad when I suffered a computer crash -- lost all my e-mail and music.  I was absolutely sure I was "really safe" with my ReadyNAS!!!)

Again.  Many thanks.

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are using X-RAID.

Disk 2 is reporting 34692 ATA errors

This disk needs replacing.

Disk 1 is the parity disk. Whilst it has no partition table on it, it is not blank.

Moving the disks to anothe Duo/NV+ v1 chassis would not help in this instance as the problem is with a disk, not with the chassis.

Message 8 of 10
Knorske
Aspirant

Thank you!!!

The disk swap is number one on the agenda!!!

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Knorske wrote:

Yes,  Your V2 uses an arm processor, so you can't migrate the V1 drives to it.

@Knorske wrote:

A duo 2150 shipped with a 500GB drive, so there really isn't a lot of data to copy.  Even if you upgraded the disk later, it would only have 2 TB max.  Truth is, linux reader is the easiest (and I think safest) next step.

The compatible desktop NAS are duo v1, nv, or nv+ v1.   You can use this guide to distinguish v1 from v2:  http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/  

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements