× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS-102 (6.4.1) disconnects randomly

Togren
Aspirant

ReadyNAS-102 (6.4.1) disconnects randomly

Dear all, 

Over about a year ago I purchased a readyNAS-102 network storage as replacement for my old setup using a media player with external drives. From the beginning I was very content with the way everything worked, it was so smooth!

I was able to acces my files everywhere using FTP, I could stream to my Samsung Smart TV and all devices (laptops, ipads you name it) could acces the database I have created.

This stopped recently. For some unkown reason my readyNAS-102 with firmware 6.4.1 randomly disconnects after some time of load. It does not matter if it's used from the TV or from the laptop or from the tablet.

For example, when watching a movie on either the TV, the laptop or the tablet the device disconnects from the NAS after a random period of time. This can be 3 or 30 minutes into the movie. Strange thing is, it is not device wide, so when the laptop is disconnected (I can't acces it through network storage or via static ip) I can still acces the NAS with my ipad.

The same thing happens when watching photo's etc. I've already tried multiple things but can't seem to find the missing piece of the puzzle.

Perhaps people with more knowledge have a hunch where the problem can be.

Regards, 

Tomas

Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
Togren
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS-102 (6.4.1) disconnects randomly

I am happy to be able to announce that for now, the problem is gone.

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest beta version 6.4.2-T72 and tested by watching a movie.

For 1 hour and 15 minutes the NAS has run smoothly so I'm happy again.

Thank you for the quick and clear response y'all!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 35

All Replies
ginga
Aspirant

Im having the same problem!! It started about the end of November, mine is on the latest firmware and checking the logs there doesn't seem to be anything in there showing any problems! I have to press the front and reset the device and then this only works once every now and again! Its becoming a pain as ive got loads of stuff on there that i access regularly and getting it to show itself again once its dropped the network is becoming slower and slower! If you or anyone can help out it would be great!! I thought it was something to do with me upgrading to windows 10 but its the tv, laptops, tablets and phones not being able to access it of ping it either! My netgear router shows that is has the address for the readynas but im a bit stumped really?

Cheers in advance if anyone can help.

Peter

Message 2 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

Saw this about beta v2 maybe worth a try

Re: ReadyNAS 104 randomly disconnect​s from Mac mini (10.7.5) (AFP and SMB)

Im sorry for the communication error. OS 6.4.1 beta 2 did it for me. I can use my Nas again through SMB. AFP still wont work stable, but im really happy i can use SMB. Thank you!

Im going to try and look at it tonight

Peter

Message 3 of 35
Togren
Aspirant

Thank you, going to try that now.

Was wondering aswell whether it had anything to do with upgrading to Windows 10, since the problem started around the same time.

Or with the upgrade to 6.4.1 since I did that at the same time 🙂

Keep you posted !

Message 4 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

Nice one! Im not going to get to mine till later, hope it works! 🙂

Message 5 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree that giving the beta a try would be worth it. Should any issues remain after upgrading to that then we can continue to do some troubleshooting.

Message 6 of 35
Togren
Aspirant

I am happy to be able to announce that for now, the problem is gone.

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest beta version 6.4.2-T72 and tested by watching a movie.

For 1 hour and 15 minutes the NAS has run smoothly so I'm happy again.

Thank you for the quick and clear response y'all!

Message 7 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

Excellent news!! If it occurs again let us know?

Message 8 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

HI, i just checked my readynas and its a ReadyNASRND2000 and the firmware is RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043] im guessing this is not the same fix?

Message 9 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@ginga wrote:

HI, i just checked my readynas and its a ReadyNASRND2000 and the firmware is RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043] im guessing this is not the same fix?

You are correct.  Your platform is completely different, and it is not capable of running OS 6 firmware.  

With your NAS the problem is often a full OS partition.  Your options are

(a) try deleteing all logs from the web ui, and see if the problem resolves

(b) back up the NAS to other drives; then do a factory reset to do a fresh new install.  After that, reconfigure the NAS, reinstall all the add ons, and reload the data

(c) contact tech support and ask for per-incident support (there is a charge).  They will log in remotely, diagnose the problem, and (if it is a full OS partition) can fix it remotely.

Whatever option you use, I strongly suggest maintaining an up to date backup of your NAS.  It only takes a 2 TB USB drive to to save everything on it.

Message 10 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

I knew it wouldnt be that easy!! Ive got mirrored 2tb disks 58% full i can clear some of the data off but will try no1 first as dont fancy the others 🙂

Message 11 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

Ive just cleared the logs and going to do a reboot and keep an eye on it, will grab a spare 2tb disk and back up asap too then go through the other options if or when it happens again, cheers

Message 12 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

Looks like the latest beta was released in October 2015. Anyone know when it will go final to 6.4.2?

Message 13 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

Also, side note. The beta did not solve my problem.

Message 14 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Look at the subsequent posts. That thread was originally for 6.4.1 beta. 6.4.2 Beta 2 was released last week.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 15 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

Just done!

Message 16 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

I was looking at the original post date. My apologies. But logs now sent! 🙂

Message 17 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I did not receive any logs from you.

Message 18 of 35
ginga
Aspirant

Hi, sorry did you mean me too? I thought you was just chatting with other guy? I cleared my logs last night as suggested and rebooted and can't get on to nas. Will try again tomorrow as gotta get to bed.
Message 19 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

Sent them at 9:37 central last night

Message 20 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

captbrando, I have your logs now.

I see you are using the NAS as an ESXi datastore and that you are taking snapshots of the datastore? Is this correct?

Furthermore your volume is 83% full.

We don't recommend using snapshots on an ESXi datastore. Over time with the huge number of writes there will be a lot of fragmentation which will hurt performance. The decision not to use snapshots for optimal effect needs to be made before putting data on the share.

If you could backup your data, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything), configure your shares to use neither bit-rot protection nor snapshots I think you should find your NAS runs a lot better.

For optimal performance I would also suggest keeping volume usage to under 80%. Scheduling defrag and balance to run regularly would be advisable too.

The 102 is a cost effective storage device. If this is used for business we'd recommend looking at at least the 300 series for this kind of use case, but preferably the 516.

The 100 series may cope with a VM or two, but it depends on how the VM is used.

If the NAS is being used to store backups of VMs then that would be more understandable. Still we would recommend not taking snapshots due to the fragmentation that would result.

Sure ginga you can send your logs in too if you want. However you really should start a separate thread and include a link to that as you have an older NAS running a different OS so your problem is quite different.

Message 21 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

OK, gotcha. Is there any way to bring the device up temporarily to get things up and running until I can address? I walked up there and the power light is blinking.

Message 22 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you using NFS or iSCSI?

If you are using NFS booting up in volume read-only mode (a boot menu option: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22892/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-1... should get the system up and running in a state where you can copy the data off.

Message 23 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

Can I not just reinstall the operating system? It seems like it is freezing or locking up. Also, if this is in a mirrored RAID format, can I just remove one drive, hook it up to USB, and copy it that way?

Message 24 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Even in volume read-only mode it is still freezing?

Looking at your logs it's not an issue that an OS Re-install is likely to resolve.

An OS Re-install installs the OS over the top of itself and resets a few settings, and thus is useful for fixing a limited range of problems.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements