× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS-102 (6.4.1) disconnects randomly

Togren
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS-102 (6.4.1) disconnects randomly

I am truly sorry for interrupting the solving process of the other problem.

Unfortunately I have to report that the problem is not solved by updating the firmware to the latest beta.

I was just wathing another movie from my laptop which is stored on the NAS and it again disconnected randomly.

This also happened yesterday evening.

Are there any other suggestions as to what I may try ?

Message 26 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Togren wrote:

I am truly sorry for interrupting the solving process of the other problem.

You started this thread, so there is no need to apologize.

@Togren wrote:

This also happened yesterday evening.

Are there any other suggestions as to what I may try ?

What version of Windows (or OSX???) are you using?

Are you using a DLNA client on the laptop?  Or are you just clicking on the movie in file explorer (or finder), and watching it?

Also, when it happens, how do you recover?

Message 27 of 35
Togren
Aspirant

I am running Windows 10 64-bit on my laptop. Although I don't think it is the OS since it also happens on iPad (iOS) and Samsung Smart TV (Android ??).

After this happens, I don't recover. I just wait for a couple of minutes and then the NAS automatically reconnects to the device. This can take up to 10 min. During this time however, the NAS is reachable through other devices. So, when the NAs disconnects from the laptop while watching a movie, I can continue watching op the iPas theoretically.

Message 28 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Togren wrote:

I am running Windows 10 64-bit on my laptop. Although I don't think it is the OS since it also happens on iPad (iOS) and Samsung Smart TV (Android ??).

After this happens, I don't recover. I just wait for a couple of minutes and then the NAS automatically reconnects to the device. This can take up to 10 min. During this time however, the NAS is reachable through other devices. So, when the NAs disconnects from the laptop while watching a movie, I can continue watching op the iPas theoretically.

So it recovers by itself, and the problem isn't that the NAS is locking up/freezing - since it still works from your devices.  It's useful to know that.

The Smart TV is certainly using DLNA.  I'm not sure how you are accessing content from the iPad.  Are you using Netgear's ReadyDLNA app?  Or Plex?

So how about the laptop?  Can you go through the steps you use for playing the media?  For instance, "I open the NAS media folder with file explorer, click on the file and open it in VLC".

It's hard to diagnose w/o more information.

Also, 6.4.2 beta might be worth a try (you can downgrade back to 6.4.1 if it doesn't help).

Message 29 of 35
Togren
Aspirant

I'm sorry that I haven't addressed all the question that you asked. I will do so now.

From the TV I am using DLNA indeed. One time I was watching photo's on the TV and it also froze watching them, so it isn't just movies.

On the iPad I am using an app called Nplayer. I connected my iPad to the NAS using the SMB/CIFS protocol.

On the laptop I am using normal file explorer and playing videos through VLC media player. I also tried using plex in the computer, but it cannot play the movie since the server is not powerful enough to play the movie. Although for other movies this is still possible. I do not recall problems using Plex come to think of it, both on laptop and TV.

I have updated the firmware to version 6.4.2-T72 but to no effect. The NAS did become faster though 🙂

Message 30 of 35
StephenB
Guru

Thanks.

So we know that the disconnects are happening both with CIFS and with ReadyDLNA. 

Have you ever seen this problem when you are running two devices at the same time (someone is watching a movie on the TV while you are watching something else on the ipad or the PC)?  If so, did both connections drop at about the same time?

I am thinking that is it possible that something is loading down the NAS briefly, and that might be causing a timeout on the connection.  Do you have antivirus enabled on the NAS?  If so, try disabling it.

Another possibility (maybe more likely) is that something is misbehaving on your network.  Are the TV and the laptop using wireless, or have you also seen this on wired connections?

Message 31 of 35
Togren
Aspirant

Thank you for the swift reply.

I do have anti-virus on the NAS running. Will disabling it not extra expose the NAS to external threats?

Both laptops and ipads are connected wireless. TV is connected wired so it does not make a difference between wireless/not-wireless.

I just have watched a movie on both laptop and iPas. Ofcourse, it didn't disconnect this time although I still had 90 minutes to go.

I will keep this thread up to date as to whether it happens simultaneously when watching on two seperate devices.

Thanks for the tips!

Message 32 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Togren wrote:

Thank you for the swift reply.

I do have anti-virus on the NAS running. Will disabling it not extra expose the NAS to external threats?

That depends on how data reaches your NAS.  My data is all uploaded from PCs that have their own protection, so I have always left the AV off.

Linux is also generally viewed as well-protected against viruses.  If you are are using transmission, or have allowed friends/family to upload to your NAS, then it might add some risk.  Though even there, the risk is more to the PCs accessing those files than the NAS itself.

Message 33 of 35
captbrando
Aspirant

OK understood. Quick question. If I were to remove one of the two drives and connect it to USB, will the drive mount as normal? Meaning, can I just remove the ReadyNAS from the equation (considering I'm going to be pulling off several hundred gigs and I am worried it will become unresponsive) and connect one of the disks to another computer to do the data xfer?

Message 34 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@captbrando wrote:

OK understood. Quick question. If I were to remove one of the two drives and connect it to USB, will the drive mount as normal? Meaning, can I just remove the ReadyNAS from the equation (considering I'm going to be pulling off several hundred gigs and I am worried it will become unresponsive) and connect one of the disks to another computer to do the data xfer?

No.  Windows (and OSX) simply don't recognize/support the btrfs file system used on the NAS.  If you had a linux system, you could power down the NAS and mount one of the drives (and then copy data that way).  But not with Windows or Mac.

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements