× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS lsing acces to files

cintor
Aspirant

ReadyNAS lsing acces to files

Five years ago I bought the Netgear ReadyNas for storing files at home. During the years I have upgraded it to 4x2 TB disk, and it has been working fine fore me. A couple of weeks ago it started to warn the C: disk was corrupted. I checked the admin-pages and found that Disk 1 and 2 were dead. At this time, all acces to the device was extremely slow. It coud take 5 minutes just to open a directory. I choose to by 2 new 2 TB disk, and changed Disk 1. This should suppusedly work fine with their redunancy. A week after this, all access - either login to admin page och file access from computer was extremely slow. A week ago, access sped was back to normal. I can now browse all directories, see all files, but I can not one any files. As you can see Im alost here, and the question is whteher my data is lost as well?? Can I do something to recover the files?

P.S. I am not poweruser, and hence my knowledge of the details of the device is limited

Model: RNDU4000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 4)|READYNAS ULTRA 4 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS lsing acces to files

If you are using normal RAID redundancy, then you have some protection against single disk failures, but not when two disks fail.

If you are interested in data recovery, you should probably contact Netgear support.  It is expensive (and labor-intensive).  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Though perhaps you don't need data recovery - your post is a bit garbled.  Can you try again on this part:  I can now browse all directories, see all files, but I can not one any files

Message 2 of 7
cintor
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen for your advice.

My intention was to write: I can now browse all directories, see all files, but I can not open any files

Also, I had reason to believe that the disk did not fail at the same time, but at least a few days apart. Should not the RAID hav fixed that?

Henrik

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@cintor wrote:

Also, I had reason to believe that the disk did not fail at the same time, but at least a few days apart. Should not the RAID hav fixed that?

RAID wouldn't resync until you replaced the first drive.  If the second had failed before that, then RAID-5 (and XRAID) can't help - the resync would simply fail.

But you are seeing something - normally you wouldn't see anything at all.  So perhaps contact Netgear support via my.netgear.com.  If you are lucky, it might not require full RAID recovery. 

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

One bad drive can occasionally cause enough havoc on the SATA subsystem to look like there are more issues.  There were several steps you should have taken before replacing one of the drives to see if both really were bad, but that's water under the bridge now.

Do you have SSH enabled?  The next thing I'd try is to see if you can access the files at the Linux level.

Message 5 of 7
cintor
Aspirant

SandShark,

Thanks for th einput. I do have the old disk saved. Could I re-replace the new with th eold, or am I risking more here??

Sincerely

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The old drive is now out of sync with the array.  Putting it back would trigger another sync, which would be bad in your current condition.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements