× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS release schedule/history

zackiv31
Aspirant

ReadyNAS release schedule/history

Is there anywhere that lists the release history for all the ReadyNAS product lines (going back to my NV)? I'd like to see the spread between product releases to know if I should wait for a new release or start spending my money now.

How often do products get released? What're the predictions for the next consumer class releases? Pro-X or something?

Just like to see a history and what people are expecting.

Thoughts?
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS release schedule/history

You can google ReadyNas NV announced etc.

I say buy a ReadyNas when you need it. There's always going to be something newer and better around the corner. The difficulty is knowing how far away the corner is. Is it a few weeks or a few years? If you wait you could be waiting forever.
Message 2 of 14
zackiv31
Aspirant

I wish there was a wikipedia page with the history of the ReadyNAS... I guess that's what I'm looking for.

Netgear should create one!
Message 3 of 14
dbott67
Guide

When I purchased my NV+ back in November 2007, it was the only product listed on the site. In early 2008, they released the Duo. In the 2+ years since, they have released the following:

- Q1 2010 - ReadySAS 4200 (2u rackmount x 12 drives - x86 multi-core)
- Q1 2010 - ReadyNAS 3100 (1u rackmount x 4 drives - x86 multi-core)
- Q4 2009 - ReadyNAS 3200 (2u rackmount x 12 drives - x86 multi-core)
- Q3 2009 - ReadyNAS 2100 (1u rackmount x 4 drives - x86 Tolapai)
- Q2 2009 - ReadyNAS NVX (pedestal x 4 drives - x86 Tolapai)
- Q4 2008 - ReadyNAS Pro (pedestal x 6 drives - x86 dual-core)
- Q1 2008 - ReadyNAS Duo (pedestal x 2 drive - sparc)

Here's a graphic walk down memory lane (with approximately release dates of the more recent models) and IIRC, the first ReadyNAS was released in 2004/05 (back when they were Infrant):

ReadyNAS 600A, ReadyNAS 600B, ReadyNAS X6:

ReadyNAS 600 White, ReadyNAS 600 Wood:

ReadyNAS NV (rev. A & B), ReadyNAS NV+, ReadyNAS Duo (on top, Q1 2008), ReadyNAS NVX (Q2 2009):

ReadyNAS 1100 (top), ReadyNAS 2100 (middle, Q3 2009), ReadyNAS 1000s (bottom):

ReadyNAS 3100 (top, Q1 2010), ReadyNAS 4200 (middle, Q1 2010), ReadyNAS 3200 (bottom, Q4 2009):

ReadyNAS Pro (Q4 2008), ReadyNAS Repetoire:

The ReadyNAS T2:
(an OEM product by Infrant which supported up to (7) SATA drives. http://www.ipdrive.de/nasdrives/pdf/Rea ... Family.pdf)

(btw, all of this info came from the ReadyNAS page on Facebook - join today and feel the love - http://www.facebook.com/NETGEAR.ReadyNAS#!/NETGEAR.ReadyNAS)
Message 4 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

nicely done Dave!

Looks like since the NVX, they have introduced a new product every quarter since.
Message 5 of 14
Lichon
Aspirant

I recall the Repertoire is much older, from Infrant times. "Proof" below (as you cant print out old thoughts :)).

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/16/infr ... ia-server/
http://web.archive.org/web/200610161159 ... Repertoire
Message 6 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Haven't you mixed up the dates for the 4200 and 3200? The 3200 was released before the 4200.

Edit: post above has been fixed.
Message 7 of 14
dbott67
Guide

mdgm wrote:
dbott67 wrote:

ReadyNAS 3100 (top, Q1 2010), ReadyNAS 4200 (middle, Q1 2010), ReadyNAS 3200 (bottom, Q4 2009):

Haven't you mixed up the dates for the 4200 and 3200? The 3200 was released before the 4200.

Isn't that what I said? :wink:
Message 8 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

David,

How did you manage to get all these pictures?

edit: duh me.. facebook.. i was 😮 how you get all these pictures.. lol
Message 9 of 14
dbott67
Guide

Jedi Knight wrote:
David,

How did you manage to get all these pictures?

Actually, one day I snuck into ReadyNAS HQ and just orbited around yoh-dah's desk. Then, when no one was looking, I snapped a few pics and got the heck outta Dodge!

Message 10 of 14
OLBJAN
Aspirant

There was a public invitation for a new ReadyNAS beta test in this forum a couple of weeks ago. I'd guess that within the next 4-6 months there will be a new model.

I'm not part of the beta so I can't say anything else though I'd wager that several forum members should already have sparkling new hardware to test...

-Jan
Message 11 of 14
zackiv31
Aspirant

Ooo... I'd love to beta test... Looking into getting the latest and greatest and outfitting it with Seagate 3TB when they come out at the end of the year. Hopefully Netgear supports them!
Message 12 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

zackiv31 wrote:
Looking into getting the latest and greatest and outfitting it with Seagate 3TB when they come out at the end of the year. Hopefully Netgear supports them!

NetGear will do their best to test and approve 3TB drives, but they won't add them before they pass NetGear's rigorous and extensive tests. I'm sure they'll want to sell them fairly quickly (if they can approve the disks in time) in some high end x86 systems such as the Pro, 3200, 3100 and 4200.
Message 13 of 14
zackiv31
Aspirant

It's interesting... looking at the release history (thanks dbott!) it's been a year without the release of a consumer level NAS product. That's the longest they've gone without a new consumer level NAS. Gets my hope up that something may be coming soon... ? Pro+, Pro-X ? 🙂
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements