× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS shown on network but not accessible after upgrade to OS 6.5.0

MarkusX0
Tutor

ReadyNAS shown on network but not accessible after upgrade to OS 6.5.0

I upgraded the OS today and got the ReadyCLOUD changeover completed to day successfully, however when I try to access the NAS through the 'Network' ( intranet ), it says that the device is inaccessible.

This is also the case when using the IP address for the NAS. Access to the device is only able to be done through http protocols. Local IP works with http, and access through the ReadyCLOUD account works as well.

I have also rebooted ALL devices since the upgrade twice to see if that was all that was needed, but it seems that the NAS is the only one refusing connections. This was working well before the upgrade.

ReadyNAS RN316-100NAS ver. 6.5.0

Windows 10 Pro x64

Windows 8.1 RT Lumia 2520 Tablet

Windows 10 Mobile Lumia 630 Phone

NETGEAR NighthawkX6 R8000 Router

NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD App for Windows ver. 1.12

Message 1 of 83

Accepted Solutions
MarkusX0
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS shown on network but not accessible after upgrade to OS 6.5.0

Yeah I have it sorted out for now... Dropping the ReadyCLOUD service for now. Rebooting clears it out too.

View solution in original post

Message 67 of 83

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I didn't see this behavior with my RN102 and RN202.

If you are eligible for free chat support, I suggest using it.

Message 2 of 83
MarkusX0
Tutor

No, I purchased the 316 as a pre-owned display model.. This would seem like something simple... unless there is some sort of problem within the 6.5.0 version of the OS regarding my specific model... My use case however is quite common.

Message 3 of 83
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello MarkusX0,

6.5.0 needs ReadyCloud account upgrade to myNetgear, so make sure the account is upgraded. 

Log out any ReadyCloud account from the ReadyCloud Windows desktop client, then test again the share access. Check the permission of the share that you are accessing too.

Unregister your ReadyCloud account from the admin page then register it, this should be in an email format. Then please also test if you can browse the folders when main ReadyCloud account is logged to the desktop client.

Regards,

Message 4 of 83
MarkusX0
Tutor

This did not solve the problem...

Followed the steps above which rendered the same result... all other devices on my network are readily accessible. The NAS is the only device which seems not to function correctly after the upgrade.

The ReadyCLOUD part of the NAS is working properly as is accessing it through browsers for administration and so on. The problem comes when accessing the device using NETBIOS or using the network drives which operate off of the shares within the NAS. This cuts accessing the NAS out of the picture when accessing the files through any part of the operating system. It disallows access using \\ReadyNAS316\... for example ( or \\10.0.0.4\ ) in Windows Explorer. SO.. the main functions and method of access in which I use the NAS is now not functioning correctly. I have checked the logs for errors and none exist. I also tried checking the settings ( of the shares ) again as mentioned above, all are in place as they were before.

It is almost as if the protocol is missing on the NAS yet it shows up in the list of systems seen on the network yet is completely inaccessible except when using other protocols.

Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated. So far it has shut down all of my personal media, and file access on 8 of my personal systems... My transcoding media server, and access to all file repositories using any program on Windows. ( besides using ReadyCLOUD, or a browser... which you must download the file to each device to use it ) DNLA is working however is not something that I use and is not compatible with the existing setup.. I simply need it to work the way it was intended. I have spent the better part of the day trying to fix this issue after the upgrade. Would really like to get this problem out of the way.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 83
Gecko_Alex
Tutor

I have same problem on RN2120 after upgrade to 6.5.0.

Message 6 of 83
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Could you try to stop & start Samba under System / Settings?

Is there anything in the logs under System / Logs?

Message 7 of 83
MarkusX0
Tutor

My system does not have anything called Samba.. and as I mentioned above I do not have anything under the logs error it otherwise pointing to the cause of the problem... Not really for sure what Samba is exactly..
Message 8 of 83
StephenB
Guru

@MarkusX0 wrote:
My system does not have anything called Samba.. and as I mentioned above I do not have anything under the logs error it otherwise pointing to the cause of the problem... Not really for sure what Samba is exactly..

Samba is the linux package that provides SMB access (e.g., Windows Network Shares).  So he is suggesting that you go to system->settings and turn off the SMB service (and then turn it back on again).

Message 9 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

jak0lantash meant the SMB protocol under System > Settings > Services.

Message 10 of 83
MarkusX0
Tutor

I will check that out when I get a chance this evening. I did check that, it was definitely on... But this may help.. I even uninstalled the SMB Plus app to see if it was interfering as well but no change afterwards.. Planning on reinstalling.. Will check back in later though..
Message 11 of 83
SisyphusBond
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem the original poster lists. I've just tried the advice listed in this thread, and none of it worked.

One additional piece of info for my case. When I tried to upgrade my ReadyCloud account to MyNetgear it got stuck when I tried to put in my original email address. It only progressed when I entered a new email address, which is now what I seem to have to use to log in through the ReadyCloud web portal.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 12 of 83
jaybepr
Tutor

I have the same exact problem here, just uphrade my two Readynas (104 and 314) and after the firmware upgrade no SMB access. Netgear suport spend like 4-5 houres last night connectet to my system by TeamViewer and nothing. I can connect by FTP, the DLNA works and everything else but the SMB acces, 5 different computers with different operating systems and 1 MacBook Pro??? This is definitely a firmware problem.
Message 13 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you trying to login to SMB using your ReadyCLOUD account? How many characters are in your email address?

Message 14 of 83
jaybepr
Tutor

My friend it's got nothing to do with the ReadyCloud. I can login and access them with no problem, The problem is on the network.

From the Microsoft web page:

The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB Protocol. The set of message packets that defines a particular version of the protocol is called a dialect. The Common Internet File System (CIFS) Protocol is a dialect of SMB. Both SMB and CIFS are also available on VMS, several versions of Unix, and other operating systems.
Message 15 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

But earlier in the thread I see that ReadyCLOUD is being used, so I am wanting to see if there is a connection.

If you are using a local user does that have an email address that is in use by one of your ReadyCLOUD users?

Message 16 of 83
MarkusX0
Tutor

In my case, it is completely different. I use the admin account, however a message pops up saying that it is not able to be accessed... Without even asking for the login..

But like I was saying... No email address being used for the user account..
Message 17 of 83
NSDias
Tutor

I also have the exact same problem!

just updated to 6.5.0 and completely lost SMB support/access!.

All works fine via web, but when I try access with Windows Explorer it fails to connect "cannot access...".

Tried turning OFF/ON, rebooting, etc. Still not working. IP adresses all ok. SMB is simply not working! Never had an issue before this update!

Please fix ASAP!! I cannot use the NAS without SMB!

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 18 of 83
jaybepr
Tutor

Screenshot (17).pngScreenshot (22).pngScreenshot (21).png

Message 19 of 83
StephenB
Guru

What happens if you try using the NAS IP address instead of its name?

Message 20 of 83
jaybepr
Tutor

I can access the admin page by the IP address, I am at work right now but I can check more when I get home.
Message 21 of 83
noleafclover133
Aspirant

I too am having this issue after upgrading to 6.5.0 - can access the NAS via the web browser but not on windows by navigating to the file folder anymore.

This needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY!!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 22 of 83
dadnet55
Aspirant

Hi, I have tried the IP address instead of the ReadyNAS name & I get this error.

(I also lost my Windows mapped drive connection when I upgraded to 6.5.0)

Windows_2016-05-20_22-04-02.jpg

As with other members, If I logon into the Readycloud web page, I can see & talk to the NAS.  See screenshot from my Readycloud page.

ReadyCLOUD - Internet Explorer_2016-05-20_22-06-35.jpg

So it sure looks like something in the 6.5.0 upgrade has knocked out Microsoft Windows file mapping.

I also updated the Readycloud app on my iphone & ipad, & they don't work either.  They start up & then close pretty much straight away.

Something's not right.

Cheers,

David

Message 23 of 83
StephenB
Guru

We might have multiple problems here - it can be confusing when multiple posters are sharing their symptoms on the same thread.

I suggest that it would be useful for @jaybepr to report his experience using the IP address.

I am not seeing these symptoms with direct SMB access to either my RN102 or my RN202.  Neither has ReadyCloud enabled, so I can't check that.

Message 24 of 83
MarkusX0
Tutor

Okay so I have still not found a solution to this problem... other than scrapping a $1,700.00 NAS... and $1,400.00 in Enterprise HDD... 😞

I just tried reinstalling the OS and also to see if I could back up my configuration ( all through the browser ).. so that I could possibly install the previous firmware...

Neither attempt worked... Left with one option here only and that is to do factory default which will wipe the data from the disks... ( which actually I cannot afford to loose the data.. split it up would be okay.. as in removing the raid... but I cannot actually loose the data.. for any reason at all.. period )

SO.. anyone else found a solution or a work around to get these back online?  OR...is all of data being held for ransom right now? 😛

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 25 of 83
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements