× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS shown on network but not accessible after upgrade to OS 6.5.0

Maximus360
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS shown on network but not accessible after upgrade to OS 6.5.0

Stephen

There are no current network sessions when i use the net use cmd. I can view all my shares via explorer and can also get into the shares which have annonymous access enabled. The shares which do not have annonymous access i cannot access as i need to input my admin username and password, this is where it fails.

Mark

Message 76 of 83
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:

The shares which do not have annonymous access i cannot access as i need to input my admin username and password, this is where it fails.

My guess is that if you use the NAS admin credentials when you first access the NAS, then you will be able to access those shares.

Maybe test that theory by temporarily putting the NAS admin credentials into the credentials manager?

Message 77 of 83
Maximus360
Guide

Hi Stephen When adding the admin username and PW in the windows credential manager it works which i already new BUT i never had to do this before and to be honest i do not want to use credential manager to manager NAS Login, my reason being... When i add the NAS credentials into the Credential manager it keeps me logged in on all shares automatically. So whenever i turn my PC on and open up explorer it just lets me directly into my shares and anyone could edit or delete files!!!! I have not heard once from any Netgear member of staff stand up and admit 6.5.0 has bugs. I just wish they could confirm that 6.5.0 is a failure and at least let us know they are working on a fix. If i turn on my windows 7 PC and open explorer and browse to the shares i get a prompt to enter the NAS username and password which is what i want. If i go to credential manager on my windows 7 PC there are NO NAS credentials in there, this is how i expect it to work on my WINDOWS 10 PC!!!!!!! I recently done a factory reset on my NAS as i heard it fixed the issues for other people, not for me. I really do think that the migration of readycloud accounts to Netgear is what has caused issues, maybe im wrong???
Message 78 of 83
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:
Hi Stephen When adding the admin username and PW in the windows credential manager it works which i already new BUT i never had to do this before

Well, windows has always allowed only one session at a time, and if there are no credentials saved it always presents the username/password that was used to log into Windows.  That logon is accepted in your case, giving you guest access to the NAS.  Later on when you click on the restricted share the NAS is asking you for a new logon.  That second logon is failing.  The main question is what you can do about that, the secondary question is what the cause of this particular bug is.

One possible work-around for the main question is to access the restricted shares using the NAS IP address instead of the name. 

On the secondary question, you could start with accessing the NAS in the usual way, click on the restricted share and let the password fail.   Then open CMD and attempt to map one of the restricted shares with admin credentials.  Then see what happens.  That might give an additional clue on what is happening.

@Maximus360 wrote:
... I have not heard once from any Netgear member of staff stand up and admit 6.5.0 has bugs. I just wish they could confirm that 6.5.0 is a failure and at least let us know they are working on a fix. ... I really do think that the migration of readycloud accounts to Netgear is what has caused issues, maybe im wrong???

Well, you'll need to take the first comment up with them.  I doubt that the single sign-on migration is causing your issues when you access the NAS directly, since ReadyCloud sign-on isn't being used. 

Is is possible that the configuration of the NAS shares after the factory reset is slightly different than it was before?

Message 79 of 83
Maximus360
Guide

Stephen i do appreciate your help.

I can assure you that all file access is the same as i had before factory reset. I had this problem before the factory reset where all SMB access fails after the 6.5.0 update.

I have never mapped my drive, the way i access my NAS shares is by explorer see below.

RN Access.jpg

If i access the NAS via IP address i get the same issue.

The only way for this to work atm is using credential manager, but this keeps me logged into the shares at all times.

Message 80 of 83
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:

If i access the NAS via IP address i get the same issue.

You are saying that if you enter \\nasip\sharename (going directly to one of the restricted shares - perhaps Documents) then the admin logon also fails?  Try doing that after entering net use * /delete just to make sure you are starting cleanly.

@Maximus360 wrote:

I have never mapped my drive, the way i access my NAS shares is by explorer see below.

Understood. The net use idea was a test - I wasn't meaning to say that you need to switch to using it.  My hope was that it might give a more useful error message (basically re-trying the connection in a different way after the failed logon).

Message 81 of 83
dawookie
Aspirant

I had the same issues.  I upgraded the firmware to 6.5.1 beta and then made sure i was logged into windows 10 making sure it was a local account and not a ip account.  I can now access drive from explorer again.

🙂

Dan

Message 82 of 83
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dawookie,

Thanks for posting a positive feedback about the Beta (RC) 6.5.1 firmware. NETGEAR has officially released the official firmware and it's now available in our support site.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 83 of 83
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements