× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 204 fluctuating transfer rate

07stuntar1
Tutor

ReadyNas 204 fluctuating transfer rate

I just purchased a Ready Nas. I am currerntly doing 4 drives Raid 1 for both. For some reason the transfer rate from windows 10 via SMB to Raid2 fluxuates from 800mbps to 10mbps more towards then 10mbps while copying big files. When copying to Raid 1 speeds are normal. When copying same files to another SMB share transfer rate stays at 900mbps. 

Running latest FW and all Gig ethernet. Once in a while it will say not enough storage space when I have lots of space avalable. Any Ideas? 

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 23
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 07stuntar1,

Which Firmware is running on your ReadyNAS?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

Firmware 6.4.2

Message 3 of 23
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 07stuntar1,

Load the latest Beta Firmware (6.5.0-T2) and tell us if it fixes the issue that you've experienced. I also suggest that you read the ff. articles before upgrading the device Firmware.

ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2)

ReadyNAS 6.5.0 Beta: ReadyCLOUD usage with MyNETGEAR accounts

ReadyCLOUD iOS/Android Beta Install Instructions

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

What are the FF articles, I read the release notes and didnt say anything about SMB? Ill upgrade and get back 

Thank You

Message 5 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

It seems like with the FW it has imporoved but still fluxuates between 300mbps to 500mbps when other nas goes about 900mbps solid. Where are the FF notes located? I also noticed that when mapping to the drive it only shows public folders, windows 10 never promps for login unless mapped directly to the permissions only folder. If not logging in and copying to public folder it says not enough space but after logging in everything works. Public folder is open to everyone to read and write. 

Thank You,

Message 6 of 23
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Hi 07stuntar01,

Can you give us more information of your network topology and the machine you are using to do the test?

Also, can you do a series of random writes(Smaller than 10MB files) vs sync writes (larger than 1GB files) this will give us a bit more data about your network and probably look to trouble shoot a little better.

Also any direct connection to the NAS is a good test with the same series of random writes and sync writes.

Can you help with this?

Thank you very much for your patience while we try to help you resolve this issue.

AlexPe. 

Message 7 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

Currently have 2 i7 desktop computers both have gig nic connections. 

Netgear GB switch

ReadyNas 204

WD Red Drives

File type are all about 4gb in size. 

Is there a good program to use to test read and write speed to a smb share? I know if I iperf its about 980mbps

Thank You

Message 8 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

After copying a few files at 500mpbs it has now dropped to average 100mbps and wont pass 150. Same 4 gb files

Message 9 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@07stuntar1 wrote:

Is there a good program to use to test read and write speed to a smb share? I know if I iperf its about 980mbps

You can use NAStester ( http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance ) for testing large sequential files.  That won't do the mixed-io tests Alex is suggesting though.

Are jumbo frames configured on your network?  Are you using only one NIC in the NAS or both?  What model is the switch? Do you know if 802.3x flow control is enabled on it?

Message 10 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

I have a Netgear GS116EV2 everything the computer and nas are on the same vlan. 

I am only using one port on the NAS for now. Was going to add another one after working out the transfer sleeds. 

I know my switch supports jumbo frames but I dont see an option to enable it along wtih 802.3x flow control.

Ill give the program a try but seems odd that only to this device it has an issue. I tested the cables.

Thanks 

Message 11 of 23
StephenB
Guru

The data sheet includes 802.3x flow control (though it is odd that there isn't a configuration setting to enable/disable it).  I'd leave jumbo frames off for now.

It might not be the network at all, but of course we didn't have much information to work with.  The fact that the performance is specific to some shares (and not others) suggests that it is not a network problem.

Are the two shares on the same volume?  Also, have you checked the SMART stats for the disk?  Are snapshot settings the same?  Is the fluctuation on reading or writing (or both)?

Message 12 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

So how my readynas is set up, 4 Drives, drives 1 and 2 are raid 1 and 3 and 4 are in raid 1.

The first raid the speeds are 

Running a 400MB file write on \\192.168.1.164\Raid1
Iteration 1: 109.87 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 109.61 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 106.82 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 106.62 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 107.86 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 108.16 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on \\192.168.1.164\Raid1
Iteration 1: 104.40 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 115.10 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 115.42 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 115.53 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 115.50 MB/sec
Average (R): 113.19 MB/sec

2nd Raid is alot slower 

Running a 400MB file write on \\192.168.1.164\Raid 2
Iteration 1: 23.02 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 47.35 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 37.97 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 32.82 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 67.05 MB/sec
Average (W): 41.64 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on \\192.168.1.164\Raid2
Iteration 1: 114.63 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 116.95 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 116.61 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 115.78 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 112.94 MB/sec
Average (R): 115.39 MB/sec

I have not enabled snapshot yet, and both read and write. Reading is alittle faster but still fluxuates when doing big files. 

Message 13 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

I dont think its the network, I can iperf for days at 950mbps 

Message 14 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

Raid 1

Running a 4000MB file write on \\192.168.1.164\
Average (W): 106.59 MB/sec
Running a 4000MB file read on \\192.168.1.164\
Average (R): 113.23 MB/sec

Raid 2

Running warmup...
Running a 4000MB file write on \\192.168.1.164\
Average (W): 24.59 MB/sec
Running a 4000MB file read on \\192.168.1.164\
Average (R): 72.46 MB/sec

The health on the hard drives are both fine. Anyway to allow to copy to RAM first then to drive ?

Message 15 of 23
StephenB
Guru

I agree you've ruled out the network.  Disk I/O is already cached in ram.  Though of course you do want the data moved to the disk promptly, otherwise data corruption occurs on power fail/unexpected shutdown.

Does "healthy" drives mean no reallocated/pending sectors and no ATA errors?

How full is the under-performing RAID array?  What drive models are you using?

Message 16 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

I am using wd red drives 4tb each WD40EFRX. The drives are pretty much empty, I just purchased the NAS and was trying to dump files on when noticing the speed differences. Pretty much the status just says healthy. 

Do you think it will make a difference if switching to Black Drives? I know the reds are only 5400rpms. but then again that doesnt solve the reason why only one raid is slower then the other. I reformated the raid again and still same issue. 

Message 17 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

I wonder if its due to SMB share, I havent tested AFP or anything else yet. I did notice my Windows 10 machine doesnt prompt for login when mapping to the drive. It only displays public folders unless I map directly to a privialaged folder then it promps for login. I also noticed that if I dont force it to login the puclic read/write folders will not allow me to dump big files it says the disk is full, when more then 3TBs are left. Small text files work fine and creating folders.

Any Ideas?

Thank

Message 18 of 23
StephenB
Guru

I don't think its the drive model (since they are the same in both arrays).  And Reds give good performance.

You could try the volume maintenance (defrag, balance, scrub).  If you have a backup, you could also try destroying/recreating the volume.

What apps are installed?  Is the slow array the first one or the second?  

Message 19 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@07stuntar1 wrote:

I did notice my Windows 10 machine doesnt prompt for login when mapping to the drive. It only displays public folders unless I map directly to a privialaged folder then it promps for login.

What happens is that the Windows machine presents you windows logon/password to the NAS when you connect.  If that login is accepted by the NAS, then you get whatever permissions are assiociated with the logon.  If the username doesn't exist on the NAS, then if guest access is enabled, you'll get that,

If you want full access, then go into the Windows Credential manager, and create a windows credential for the NAS (using the username and the password you want).  You'll need to remove (or edit) whatever credentials already stored for the NAS.  Note also that the PC treats the NASNAME and the NASIPADDRESS as two different machines.  If you access both ways, you'll want to set up both credentials.  They can use either different user/passwords if you want.

@07stuntar1 wrote:

if I dont force it to login the puclic read/write folders will not allow me to dump big files it says the disk is full, when more then 3TBs are left. Small text files work fine and creating folders.

What firmware are you running?  Do you have quotas enabled?

Message 20 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

Thank you

Message 21 of 23
07stuntar1
Tutor

Rebuild the volume still same problem. I also noticed it took alot longer to resync the drives. only app is plex, i removed it since i wasnt using it. 

Message 22 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@07stuntar1 wrote:

Rebuild the volume still same problem. I also noticed it took alot longer to resync the drives. only app is plex, i removed it since i wasnt using it. 

And the SMART stats are completely clean on both drives?

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements