× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 214

Aevans0001
Aspirant

ReadyNas 214

So on February 16, 2021 we had a winter storm here in Texas.  On that date we lost power, regained, lost, regained, lost (for 20 hours), regained.  I at some point did power down system and the rest of the electronics. 

However my Readynas continued to be very slow. I reset 2 computers and the connection seemed to get better after a while, but still not fast enough.  I am now trying to backup and sync my readynas and am finding transfer speeds to be way too low over ethernet.

My process:

copying information from drive Y (Qnap) to drive Z (Readynas).  Syncing Readynas to google drive. The reason I am copying things from qnap to readynas is due to the information originally came from the readynas (I previously copied from readynas to qnap but ran out of room).  My speed however is Less than 2 MB/s making 88GB take over 23 hours. On the other hand I just finished copying 1.6TB from the qnap to my pc running at 107MB/s and took 4 hours and 30 minutes. 

I also just signed into the readynas and received this error.  Error 1001000022.  which I have not found any information on.  Please explain how to send logs if needed

_______________________________Edit___________________________________________

I may have found one issue.  The system is refusing to start scheduled tasks because it says a defrag is already running.  However the log says it finished. 

The system has also froze on me about 3 times, since the storm.  It seems to be working and then it just freezes up and usually does not send me an email about it.  I go in and hit the power button and it is still powered up but not responding.  Only recourse is to pull power.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas 214

Can you see if the LAN activity light is still active when the transfer goes to zero?  Although a factory default is probably the best thing to try first, you could have a failing power supply.  The NIC subsystem is powered by the +5VSB (+5 volt standby) part of the power supply, which powers only the NIC and power on/off circuits.  Even if the NAS is "off", that power is still on unless the plug is pulled.  Multiple mains power cycles, especially any "brownout" conditions in between, may have damaged that portion of the supply.

While the supply appears to be a standard flex ATX (aka mini ITX) supply, the pin-out is non-standard.  If a factory default doesn't fix the problem, then using an adapter cable and a standard ATX supply (if you have one available) externally is a good way to check if the power supply is the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Aevans0001

Would be best to check on the full logs. You can share it to me via Google drive or a similar service. PM me the link so we can check if the issue with the NAS.

HTH

Message 2 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

Sent

In a previous topic (2018) I was asked to send a top command in ssh.  I have completed that.

Message 3 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

@Marc_V The ysstem seems to be going from like 2 mb/s to 0 then a about 10 seconds latere back to 2 then 0.  Whats the quickest way to get the files off?  I am trying to clear storage so that I can factory default the machine.  It seems to have problems with Amazon Drive, Email Service, and possibly the maintanance tasks.  

Message 4 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

Is there anybody else who has any idea why my system is doing this?
Message 5 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Can you see if the LAN activity light is still active when the transfer goes to zero?  Although a factory default is probably the best thing to try first, you could have a failing power supply.  The NIC subsystem is powered by the +5VSB (+5 volt standby) part of the power supply, which powers only the NIC and power on/off circuits.  Even if the NAS is "off", that power is still on unless the plug is pulled.  Multiple mains power cycles, especially any "brownout" conditions in between, may have damaged that portion of the supply.

While the supply appears to be a standard flex ATX (aka mini ITX) supply, the pin-out is non-standard.  If a factory default doesn't fix the problem, then using an adapter cable and a standard ATX supply (if you have one available) externally is a good way to check if the power supply is the problem.

Message 6 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

@Sandshark The LAN activity lights are on.  The whole system is on, it just will not respond and it is not actually serving the files (my z: drive disappears.

Message 7 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@Aevans0001 wrote:

@Sandshark The LAN activity lights are on.  The whole system is on, it just will not respond and it is not actually serving the files (my z: drive disappears.

That's a good sign that the hardware is probably fine.  I see in your top output that tracker is taking up a lot of CPU time.  I suggest you try disabling File Search in the system settings and see if that helps.  After you've done that, watch top while you are doing the transfer and see if anything else suddenly jumps to the top using a lot of CPU.

Message 8 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

@Sandshark  Wow.  I just noticed that.  So i disabled File search and now nothing uses even 10%.  see attachment

What does filesearch do?

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Aevans0001 wrote:

What does filesearch do?

It indexes all your files, so you can search them from the admin web ui.  If you don't use it (or don't really need it), you should leave it off.

Message 10 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

Anybody have any idea why file transfers are so slow?  Basically it runs between 3 MB/s and 0 then back up.  The system has not froze up since I turned off file search, but transfers still slow

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

There are three broad classes of possible problems on the NAS side of things:

1. system loading
  2. network issues
  3. failing disks

System loading appears to be taken care of, now that the file search is turned off.  Though you can check that again running top.

Maybe download the full log zip file, and take a look at network-settings.log.  There are packet statistics in there that might give some clues.

You can see the same status with ssh using ifconfig. Perhaps run it before a test transfer, and then after it completes - the delta might be useful.  Note that dropped packets happen when the system can't keep up - so loading and disk problems also can lead to dropped packets.

If we see something in the network stats, you can drill down deeper by installing iperf on the NAS and on a PC.  Then you can measure network throughput separately from the disks.

Message 12 of 13
Aevans0001
Aspirant

A factory reset seems to have fixed most of my issues. Thanks @Sandshark and @StephenB 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements