× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ Post New Power Supply Boot Issue

dkgorey
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ Post New Power Supply Boot Issue

Recently my ReadNAS NV+ stopped working after almost 8 years of running.  It would not power on.  After reading all of these forums, I concluded that my power supply most be dead.  I ordered a new one on Amazon that match the same Voltage, Freq, etc. of the current PS.  Install went smooth no issues.  I decided to boot it up with no HDDs to verify it worked.  It turned on, however, the display screen was lit and display "blocks". The blue glow around the power button did not turn on.  I tried turing off the system and it would not.  I tried with a quick power button press and also held it for a number of seconds 10+, 20+.  No luck.  I read that I should be able to see the NAS on the frontpage and I could not.  I decided to try it with the HDDs installed. Same issues.  The fan is working everything seems to be ok.  Thoughts? Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RND4410v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 9
dkgorey
Aspirant

Follow up to original post with more info. When I plug the system in the display is already lit.  I have never seen this before.  

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Unless you bought a supply specifically stated as being for a ReadyNAS, then it does not have the proper voltage pin-out on the connector, though that can be fixed.  See the attachment to the second message in this thread for the details: Inexpensive-power-supply-replacement-for-legacy-4-bay-Readynases.  The link in the first message in that thread is now broken.

Hopefully, you have damaged neither the NAS nor the supply.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

The link in the first message in that thread is now broken.

You can use this link instead: https://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

Message 4 of 9
dkgorey
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I verified the pin outputs in the diagram you provided and mine matched 1 for 1.  Below is the link of the Amazon purchased PSU.  It does state it was for a ReadyNAS.  I used this PSU as it was recommended by another user on the these forums and they had no problems.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W3X480/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If it's not the PSU, then it's likely to be a system board failure.  @Sandshark might have a troubleshooting suggestion to pin that down.  But it might just be time to get a new NAS.

If you do get a new NAS, you won't be able to directly migrate your disks.  Do you need to offload data from the RAID array?

Message 6 of 9
dkgorey
Aspirant

Yes I need to get data off! A friend has a NV+ can I just swap my drives in an get the data? Also, I took apart the old PSU, it was definitely burnt inside. Wonder if that caused other issues.
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

wrote:
A friend has a NV+ can I just swap my drives in an get the data? 

That will work as long as both use 4.1.x firmware.  Just make sure you label then by slot as you remove them, and maintain the slot order for both sets of drives.

Also, if his NAS is running different firmware, it will begin by installing his firmware onto your disks.  If his firmware is very old, you might ask him to update it first.

wrote:
Also, I took apart the old PSU, it was definitely burnt inside. Wonder if that caused other issues.

Maybe you got a bad replacement?  You could try to exchange it with the seller.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, since it's the right supply, then it sounds like something is wrong with the power-on circuit.  You have likely run into a case where the failing power supply took other casualties with it. Frankly, there is very little that you can do to troubleshoot the NAS chassis.  Netgear has never released schematics, and the parts are probably not available in small quantities, anyway.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements