× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V1 Unable to communicate via Raidar/Frontview

rcoop
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ V1 Unable to communicate via Raidar/Frontview

Several weeks ago my NV+ V1 began to drop off my network, finally disapearing completely. When I reboot the unit all four drive lights are lit green, the power button stays lit, the eithernet port lights properly, and the lcd shows a valid IP address. If I initiate Raidar to go to Frontview I get nothing. I would love to get some help on how to get my NAS back up and running

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
rcoop
Aspirant

Thanks Jenn. I will do as you have suggested and get back with the support people.

Rick

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you familiar with ssh?

Message 2 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

No, can you elaborate?

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@rcoop wrote:

No, can you elaborate?

ssh gives you a command line interface into the box, where'd you'd run linux shell commands.  You can telnet into the v1 in tech support mode, and also run shell commands.  If you were reasonably accomplished with linux, you could check some things (OS fullness, drive SMART stats, ...) and maybe fix the issue.

But you are unfamiliar with it, and tech support mode wouldn't be an easy place to learn.

My guess would be a filling OS partition.  Do you have a backup?  If so, its probably fastest to do a factory reset, and rebuild the NAS.

Another thing you could try (if you have a scratch disk) is to power down, remove the current disks (label by slot), and try installing just on the scratch - and see if it has the same problem.

Message 4 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

Yes, I am unfamiliar with that. Way outside of my wheelhouse.

Did you mean an OS partion has failed? Yes I have a backup. However there are some more recent files that were not backed up, so I might do that as a last resort.

If I install a scratch disk and I still have the same problem, what does that tell me? And if not, would that mean a problem with my original disks? Can I use any old disk? And I won't loose the data if I reinstall the original disks?

I originally thought that my problem was of a hardware nature. Either the power supply or a network board within the NAS.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@rcoop wrote:

Did you mean an OS partion has failed?

Not failed exactly.  Just full.  It's only 2 GB on your NAS.  That's just one possibility, it could be something else.

@rcoop wrote:

If I install a scratch disk and I still have the same problem, what does that tell me? And if not, would that mean a problem with my original disks? Can I use any old disk? And I won't loose the data if I reinstall the original disks?

If you have the same problem with the scratch, then that tells you that the problem is with the NAS hardware.  You can use a disk that isn't on the HCL for this. You aren't setting up a RAID array, just installing to one drive.

As long as you power down before you remove (or reinsert) the original drives, you won't lose any data. 

While the disks are out, you could test them with vendor diags in a windows PC (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

@rcoop wrote:

I originally thought that my problem was of a hardware nature. Either the power supply or a network board within the NAS.

Both are possible, but since it failed on the upgrade, I am thinking a full OS partition is more likely.  

If you upgraded the memory, then that could also be the issue - there are reports here that suggest the current firmware is more picky about memory than the older firmware was.

If it is hardware, you could try to find a used NV+ v1 chassis. You might also check your purchase date.  Warranty is 5 years on the NV+ v1, so you might still be covered.

Netgear does offer per-incident support (if you are the original purchaser) so you could also contact them at support.netgear.com.

Message 6 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

Is what you refer to as the OS called Raidiator? And how would the OS partition become full?

I will try the scratch disk route.

I've never upgraded the memory. Yes, I've thought of looking for another chassis, but my understanding of that is I will lose all of my data when I reinstall the existing drives in the new chassis.

Regarding the warranty, my unit was 5 yrs. old on October 12, 2015. I've been trying to contact NetGear for two weeks and have given up. I intiated two service tickets and have tried to contact them via phone to no avail. Their recording tells me to email or chat with them. I've tried to find the portal to do that it just sends me in circles. Do you know to get through to them?

Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@rcoop wrote:

Do you know to get through to them?

Maybe PM one of the netgear folks here (JennC?)

@rcoop wrote:

Is what you refer to as the OS called Raidiator? And how would the OS partition become full?

RAIDiator is the firmware.  It uses linux as the operating system, and is installed to its own partition on your disks.  That partition is only 2 GB.

There are several ways for the OS partition to become full.  Many involve add-ons that you don't use.  However, one scenario is that a log file gets flooded with events and fills up the disk. 

I want to underscore that the filling OS partition diagnosis isn't certain, it could well be something else.  But if that's what it is, it is easily fixed by Netgear (booting up in tech support mode)

A factory default would also cure it, but of course you'd lose the files that didn't get backed up.

Message 8 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

See I warned you that much of this is outside of my wheelhouse. I used this device exclusively to archive music files and play those via the Squeezebox system.

You wrote: Maybe PM one of the netgear folks here (JennC?) How would I go about doing that?

In the meantime I will try the scratch disk scenario that you suggested.

Thanks again for working with me. I really appreciate that.

Message 9 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

I installed a disk on the scratch as you suggested and sure enough the NAS booted up. Once again I am able to communicate with and control the unit via Frontview.

Your thoughts please on what I should do next.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@rcoop wrote:

I installed a disk on the scratch as you suggested and sure enough the NAS booted up. Once again I am able to communicate with and control the unit via Frontview.

Your thoughts please on what I should do next.

Thank you.

Either

-continue trying to get support's attention.

-or give up on them, do a factory reset, and live with the lost files.

I am a bit surprised no one from Netgear chimed in on this.  Can you post the case number here?

Message 11 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

Here are the case numbers:

Let me know.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rcoop,

Sent you PM.

Regards,

Message 13 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rcoop,

I checked your profile and saw your right case number.

When you inserted a scratch disk to the chassis, chassis installed the OS from flash to the scratch disk and it worked. This means the chassis has no problem.

It must be one (or more) of the disks causing the problem and since the hardware warranty and support of your unit already expired, you may need to avail the support's per incident service and probably the data recovery service. This may need L3 escalation.

Please log back in to my.netgear.com and get back to your case submission, I saw one of the support people answered you.

Regards,

Message 14 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

Thanks Jenn. I will do as you have suggested and get back with the support people.

Rick

Message 15 of 17
tlceventsgroup
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. What it a scratch disk? How do I do this step? 

Message 16 of 17
rcoop
Aspirant

Sorry to hear that you having the same problem. Glad to help.

First, power down the NAS and remove the drives. Please be sure to notate on each drive from which slot you removed them. You will need to reinstall them in the original slot from where they were removed.

Next, install any working drive that you may already own as a test. If you power up the system and it boots properly, you should regain control via RAIDar/Frontview. This also tells you that your NAS probably doesn't have a problem.

In my case, 2 of the drives failed. I paid tech support to troubleshoot my system after I performed the test with a scratch disk and the NAS worked.

I hope this was helpful.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements