× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ extremely slow

rpatel
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ extremely slow

I have had the ReadyNas NV+ for the last 2+ years and have been running at one of my clients office for that long. There are a total of 20-24 users that are using it for either writing files on it or reading from it.

So Suddenly yesterday, something happened. We had an issue where 50% of the computers on the network started reading data from the ReadyNas extremely slow. When I tried to copy a file that was 500kb in size, it took like 30-40 seconds to copy it locally. When I tried to open it, it opened it very very slow.

I tried to see if something else was wrong, but no. I tried to read files from other machines, this was perfectly fine. I am not sure what is going on?

Has someone had this issue before?

Thanks.
Ravi
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas NV+ extremely slow

Is the NAS resyncing? If so, that would slow down the performance quite a bit.

Anyway, the obvious things to check are the SMART+ reports under health, and the ethernet stats under network.
Message 2 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

When looking at the SMART+ reports under health, you may want to keep your eye out for any ATA errors that are being reported. This would indicate a drive that is not responding correctly and is in need of replacement.

Let us know what you find.
Message 3 of 7
rpatel
Aspirant

None of them have any ATA errors and also no dropped packets under the network properties. Hence I am really confused now.

Again, this is only happening on some of the computers and others it is working fine, like no issues when opening the same files. I can even copy the same files to another location and open them via the computers that are having issues.
Message 4 of 7
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Since this is happening on only some machines and not others; I have a few questions.
Are these computers that are having issues on an isolated switch?
What happens if you move the machines to a different port/switch?
Have you verified that the computers in question have the most current drivers for the NICs?
Try running a packet capture on those machines while trying to access the NAS, and see if there's something being malformed.
Message 5 of 7
rpatel
Aspirant

No, all these computers are on the same switch.
Same issue if we move the computers to another port on the switch.
Yes, if the issue was related to the drivers than files from our other server would also have issues, right? But this is not the case, this is only happening when using the ReadyNas.
I will try doing this, what software do you suggest?
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Are jumbo frames enabled on the ReadyNAS? If so, try setting the MTU to 1500.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements