× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas OS in Virtualbox: No disks detected.

z3non
Aspirant

ReadyNas OS in Virtualbox: No disks detected.

Dear community,

I followed the description on github [1] to run the ReadyNAS OS inside a virtualbox. When I start the VM I always receive the error "No disks detected" (see [2] ) and it stops in a busybox shell.

I have tried the following images:

ReadyNASOS-6.4.2-x86_64.vmdk

ReadyNASOS-6.5.2-x86_64.vmdk

ReadyNASOS-6.6.0-x86_64.vmdk

My VirtualBox version is 5.2.6 running on windows 10.

Any help would be appreciated!

[1]  https://github.com/ReadyNAS/sdk/wiki/Setup-ReadyNAS-OS-on-VirtualBox

[2]  

readynas-virtualbox.PNG

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
z3non
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas OS in Virtualbox: No disks detected.

Yes, I was supplying SATA disks. But I found out now that the minimum size has to be about 5 GB for the VM image to start up. For a SATA disk of 4 GB size it returns a partitioning error. This of course helps a lot. For disk sizes below 4 GB only the described error ("No disks detected") appears which is quite misleading.

Anyway, I did not take into consideration that the VM emulation of the ReadyNAS OS creates a 4 GB root and 0.5 GB swap partition on each disk - but this of course seems logical as this is the same behavior like with the hardware version.

A hint on the github-page would be helpful. The maximum disk size of 20 GB is mentioned there. This would just be the right place to mention also the minium disk size.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you supplying virtual SATA disks to it? If not, please try that.

Message 2 of 3
z3non
Aspirant

Yes, I was supplying SATA disks. But I found out now that the minimum size has to be about 5 GB for the VM image to start up. For a SATA disk of 4 GB size it returns a partitioning error. This of course helps a lot. For disk sizes below 4 GB only the described error ("No disks detected") appears which is quite misleading.

Anyway, I did not take into consideration that the VM emulation of the ReadyNAS OS creates a 4 GB root and 0.5 GB swap partition on each disk - but this of course seems logical as this is the same behavior like with the hardware version.

A hint on the github-page would be helpful. The maximum disk size of 20 GB is mentioned there. This would just be the right place to mention also the minium disk size.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements