× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus failed to boot successfully

Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus failed to boot successfully

Hello Everyone

I am Using ReadyNas Ultra6 

running SW  6.10.3.   3HDD 6TB, 6TB, 8TB

i got a problem. the system  stopped working, after a new start i got a message  that 

Ready Nas failed to boot successfully, ReadyNAS Detected that the installed disc contains a system.

i am afraid to do anything that might damage any chance to recover the data.

i add a screenshot to show the situation

i need help

Thank you

Model: RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 6 Plus failed to boot successfully

Normally I'd suggest paid support.  But that isn't available to you, since you are running OS 6 on a legacy NAS.

Do you have a backup?

Message 2 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

well...

thank you...

.... just why to suggest something which is obviously not possible ??

and...

if I have a backup.. I might not need any advice

anyway... i could not wait and perform back to factory 

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Dede_Ayache wrote:

.... just why to suggest something which is obviously not possible ??

One option would have been to purchase a suitable enclosure (that can hold all the disks), then use that to connect the disks to a Windows PC.  Then you could have used ReclaiMe software to try and recover the data.

Since that is a pricey option, I asked the backup question first.  FWIW, many people do have backups, but are looking for a faster way to get their data back.

@Dede_Ayache wrote:

if I have a backup.. I might not need any advice

One piece of advice is that backup is much cheaper and more certain than data recovery.  Especially when you are not entitled to paid support.

Message 4 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

I am Using ReadyNas Ultra6 

running SW  6.10.3.   3HDD 6TB, 6TB, 8TB

i came to the conclusion that the FW  6.10.3 

IS VERY DANGEROUS

NAS LOST DATA TWICE

never had this before, 

please if anyone has the same experiance??

is any way to downgrade to the previous version??

Message 5 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you upgraded the RAM in your Ultra?  If you still have the original 1GB, adding at least another 1GB may be your solution.  It has been reported here that recent versions of the OS for Intel based NAS can have problems with less than 2GB.  If you are running any apps, that could make it worse.

As for going backwards, you should be able to go back to 6.10.0.  Anything earlier could end up giving you problems with the array, iof the NAS even allows it.

Message 6 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

Hi

thank you

can you link me some clear instruction how to upgrade ram ?

Thank you!

Message 7 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

I bought my Ultra6 used and don't even remember if I upgraded the RAM or bought it that way.  But I think it's like the Pro6 and there is an empty RAM slot you just need to put another 1GB in.  2GB is enough for the OS and most apps.  And it's not dual-port RAM, so no need to "match" the other stick.  I do know that the same PC2-6400 (or faster) DIMM (full size, not SODIMM for notebooks) as the Pro6.   If you Google it (don't use the forum search, it's abominable) I'm sure you'll find some specific brands and part number recommendation.  But I've used whatever is cheap on eBay to upgrade the faster Pro6 without any issues.  It cannot use registered, ECC, or "high density" (x4 rather than x8) RAM (which may be sold as "server" or "AMD" RAM) but the cheap stuff (up to 2GB sticks) that was common in the day works great.

The Ultra6 (not Ultra6 Plus) can only use 4GB of RAM.  I'm not sure it that's 2 x 2GB sticks only or could be 1 x 4GB, but the 4GB are so much more expensive, there is no reason to go that way.

Case disassembly to the point if being able to add RAM is just removing the left side (looking from the front).

Message 8 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

Thank you so far, if i open the case i would love to upgrade to 8GB, 

is there any way i can test if it is working well?

i did not see in the interface any remarks about RAM

Thank you

Message 9 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Oh, you do have the Plus.  You can go to 2 x 4GB sticks.  But honestly, you'd get more bang out of a processor upgrade than moving from 4GB to 8.  My Ultra6 Plus actually came with the Pro6 processor, but most had an older, slower one; same as original ProBE or Pro Pioneer.  4GB sticks that work are hard to find used and generally premium priced new or used.  Except server editions, Windows of that era could only access 4GB  (with video RAM keeping you from even using it all), and the motherboards had at least 2 slots. So nobody wanted 4GB sticks except for servers.  But servers usually use registered RAM -- often also ECC -- which the legacy NAS cannot use.

Message 10 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

hahaha it is getting interesting... i can do the hardware but to be honest i don't know what to order

can you name me the processor needed??

for RAM i just ordered this

8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR2 RAM PC2-6400 800/667/533 MHz SAMSUNG Arbeitsspeicher AMD

is this OK ?

and Thank you so much for helping me

Message 11 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

i looked inside

RAM replacement will be not a problem 

but if the chip I saw under the aluminum cooler is the CPU. I am afraid is more than I could manage

Message 12 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Except for a very early one upgraded when the Core2 family of processors was still a bit expensive, I've used the Core2 Duo E7500 for that motherboard.  Note that to go that high in the processor line, you do need the latest motherboard BIOS, which is 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0.  You can find that in the log zip files bios_ver.log.  Note that your hardware revision 1.2 motherboard is compatible with that BIOS version (V1.1 hardware is not).  Given you have an Ultra6, it is likely you are already on that version, but check.

The information you gave about the RAM isn't enough to tell if it's compatible.  Is it registered or ECC? (Neither of them work.)  Is it in 2Rx8 configuration (which works) or 2Rx4 (which does not)?  But the "AMD" in the name is troubling, as that typically means it's 2Rx4.  AMD processors of that era could use 2Rx4, while most Intel (including anything compatible with yout NAS) could not.

Message 13 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

The chip with the fan-mounted cooler is the CPU.  If you've never done a CPU replacement, this might not be the time to try.

You can check dmesg.log in the logs zip file to find what CPU you have.  If you are lucky like I was, it'll be the Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.60GHz, which was standard in the Pro6, not the Ultra6Plus.  In my opinion, you don't gain enough going from that to the Core2 to bother.  But if you have the Pentium Dual Core E2160 @ 1.80GHz, then there is a huge advantage to upgrading it.  The original Pro BE and Pro Pioneers also shipped with that CPU.

Message 14 of 16
Dede_Ayache
Aspirant

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 23
Model name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
Stepping: 10
CPU MHz: 2593.625
BogoMIPS: 5187.25
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 2048K

Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Then you also got the Pro6 CPU in your Ultra6Plus.  There is not a lot to be gained by going to the Core2 because the motherboard doesn't support the faster bus speed it supports, so the improvement is negligable.  At some point, Netgear probably just decided it wasn't worth it to have separate motherboard configurations, but they never advertised it.  I believe there were some options enabled for the Pro6 but not the Ultra6Plus under OS4.2.x.  But under OS6, there is no difference.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements