× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas2100 Please help. network name no longer available

temmersond
Aspirant

ReadyNas2100 Please help. network name no longer available

Please help me determine what could cause a mapping issue I am seeing with my readynas 2100. 

Info: I have an active directory system I am putting the Readynas on for a data backup to a recorder. This system is a communicaiton system for a county I am working. The system is an active directory GPO based system.

I have join the Readynas 2100 to the domain and synced it with my NTP. All is good there. The NAS has even pulled all the accounts from AD as you would expect. 

I then created a fileshare on this NAS. I can access the file share via I.E. (Internet Explorer.) I plan to use the file share I created as a location for backup of one of the machines on the domain. 

I have tried to map the network drive from a machine on the domain and encounter an error stating that this network drive name is no longer available. I cannot get past this point on any of the machines on the domain. 

Strange enough if I remote into the system with my personaly machine I can map the drive with no issue on my local PC. 

What would cause the Machines on the domain to not be allowed or get the name no longer exsist error when trying to map the fileshare?

I have tried it on many different windows platforms on the domain with no luck. I have also disable microsoft client signed messages, local security policy via AD gpo and this didnt help. 

I cannot for the life of  me find anything that could help. I cant use netgear support as the contract has been long expired. Netgear refuses to assist any furthure without buying a support contract. This isnt my equipment or my companys equipment. So the county would have to foot the bill and I would like to explorer the knowledge base on the community as was recomended to me. 

Model: ReadyNASRNRX4410|ReadyNAS 2100 4TB (4 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas2100 Please help. network name no longer available

Is SMB1 enabled on the windows machine? The RN2100 uses that.

Are you accessing the NAS by its IP address or by its hostname?

Is there a share name on the NAS that matches the user logon or machine name of the PC?

Note that you likely don't need to have AD enabled on the NAS if you are only accessing it from the one or two machines.  You can alternatively create a couple of local NAS accounts, and specify the login credentials in the windows credentials manager of those machines.

Message 2 of 7
temmersond
Aspirant

I will have to check to see if SMB 1 is enabled. What is the best method to verify if it is enabled or not? Sorry not family with location of setting. I am trying to access both by dns and ip. The NAS does have user that match current logged in account as well as tried using different credentials as well.

What is strange is I can map drive via personal windows machine that is remoted into the system on the network. In the same token all machines on the network can't. That why I felt it may be tied to a GPO that the AD network machines are tied to and not my personal.

Can you give me a bit more details on this comment: Is there a share name on the NAS that matches the user logon or machine name of the PC?

Thank you in advance for helping me too i honest appreciate your feedback.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@temmersond wrote:
I will have to check to see if SMB 1 is enabled. What is the best method to verify if it is enabled or not?  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-...

This has info for both the SMB client and the SMB server - you are interested in the SMB Client sections only (since the server is the NAS).

Note it could be disabled with a group security policy.

@temmersond wrote:

Can you give me a bit more details on this comment: Is there a share name on the NAS that matches the user logon or machine name of the PC?

You can run into SMB issues if the NAS has a share name that matches the username, because the NAS also tries to create a home folder for that user the first time they access the NAS with SMB.  That fails, because the share name collides with the home folder name.

It can also be a problem if the NAS has a share name that matches the PC's hostname (though I don't know the reason).

Message 4 of 7
temmersond
Aspirant

Awesome great info to check. I will check and report back to you today what I am finding. Luckily I haven't made share name anything similar or the same as any user/hostname names. I will create a new gpo and link it to machines I need the share accessibile on. I appreciate your input and will take your suggestions and try them out.
Message 5 of 7
temmersond
Aspirant

Ok now I am at the point where I am getting account not authorized to login from this station. 😕
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements