× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas516 RAID

aaseef021
Aspirant

ReadyNas516 RAID

Hi I had a question, i have 3 drive in my ReadyNAS

2TB, 4TB and 4TB. They are currently setup as RAID 5. I have couple of questions

1. If I disconnect the 2TB will my data still exist?
  2. Can i make the 2TB into just another drive and not use for RAID, I was to use the 4TB just for RAID, is this possible?

Please advice

Thank You

Aaseef Shaikh

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas516 RAID

@aaseef021 wrote:

1. If I disconnect the 2TB will my data still exist?

Yes, but the array will be degraded (no longer redundant).

aaseef021 wrote:
  1. Can i make the 2TB into just another drive and not use for RAID, I was to use the 4TB just for RAID, is this possible?

Not simply.  You'd need to switch to flexraid, destroy the current volume, and create two new ones (one for the 2 TB drive, the other for the 2x4TB array).  Then recreate your shares, and restore the data from backup.

@aaseef021 wrote:

Hi I had a question, i have 3 drive in my ReadyNAS

2TB, 4TB and 4TB. They are currently setup as RAID 5.

Did you really mean RAID-5 (around 3.6 TiB data volume)?  OR did you mean XRAID (around 5.4 TiB data volume).

Message 2 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

All my drives are setup as XRAIDS currently

Message 3 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

Did you really mean RAID-5 (around 3.6 TiB data volume)

I have about 3.6 data left but interesting that X-RAID is check and green the volume setting on the page

Message 4 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@aaseef021 wrote:

I have about 3.6 data left but interesting that X-RAID is check and green the volume setting on the page

Then you are using XRAID for sure.  The volume page doesn't actually give you the total volume size, but if you look on the shares page it will give you the total there.  So maybe check the shares page and confirm that you have the 5.4 TiB volume.

Message 5 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

Hi I have included screen shots for you. I hsould have 10TB am i right, it looks like i am missing 4 TB, it is possible because it is RAID, if i were to take out the 2TB and add in a 4TB, will the size equal out to 12TB?

Can I make the 2TB just as a drive and not use it as RAID

I want to setup the following, let me know if it is possible

4TB, 4TB make into a RAID

2TB just a normal drive 

Message 6 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

I have attached screenshot 2 here 

Message 7 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

You can't change to that configuration without destroying and re-building the array.  But I'm not sure why you would want to -- you end up with the same usable space and less redundancy.

With 1 x 2TB and 2 x 4TB in RAID, you have one 2TB x 3 layer and one 2TB x 2 layer.  One of the 2TB's in each layer is redundancy.  So, you have 6TB, or 5.44TiB (the measure te NAS uses).  With one 4TB x 2 volume plus a separate 2TB volume, you use one 4TB drive as redundancy for the other 4TB and the 2TB has no redundancy.  But you still have 4TB + 2TB = 6TB of usable space.

If you replace the 2TB with another 4TB, it'll grow by 2TB.  You'll have two 2TB x 3 layers, still with 2TB of each layer as redundancy.   But if you add the extra 4TB to an empty slot, it will grow by 4TB.  You'll have one 2TB x 4 layer and one 2TB x 3 layer, still with 2TB of each layer as redundancy.  Unless you have a drive going bad, it is generally more effficient to add drives till you have no empty ones, then replace starting with the smallest.

Use this Netgear RAID calculator to do your "what if's".  Note, however, that the calculator does not address expansion limitations.  It doesn't keep track of the order in which you add them.  While 1TB + 2TB + 2 x 4TB would work if inserted in that order, you cannot add a 1TB to your array at this point and have it expand.

Message 8 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Your volume does add up to the right size.  Data + Snapshots + Free Space add up to 5.45 TiB, which is the same as 6 TB.  That fits the XRAID capacity rule (sum the disks and subtract the largest).

As @Sandshark says, the simplest to expand your storage is to add another 4 TB drive.  You'd end up with 10 TB, but you'd still have the benefits of a redundant RAID array. 

You have plenty of space left, so unless you are planning to load up a lot more files on the NAS, there is no rush.  When your free space drops to ~1.6 TB, then it will be time to expand it. 

Message 9 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

If i destroy and rebuild just using the two 4TB drive will that work. If I back up the data before doing this could i restore the data when i rebuild the array?

What is the best way to accomplished this? Also what do you recommend for backing up and restoring if i rebuild the array?

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@aaseef021 wrote:

If i destroy and rebuild just using the two 4TB drive will that work.

Yes, you could. But you'd end up converting a 6 TB redundant volume to a 4 TB redundant volume + 2 TB non-redundant volume. 

Why do that?  You gain no storage, and you lose redundancy on 1/3 of the space, and you end up with a configuration that is somewhat harder to manage.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Message 11 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

My goal is to keep the 4TB drive 

4TB + 4TB = 8Tb keep this as RAID

Take all the data that exist and rebuild my array just using the 4TB drives

The 2TB drive i will not make into a RAID and just keep it as a standard drive for back up, is this possible and what do you recommend is the best options

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@aaseef021 wrote:

4TB + 4TB = 8Tb keep this as RAID

You mean you want to maximize storage, and give up redundancy? 

In other words, you'd rather have 10 TB of storage than what you have now - which is 6 TB of storage with protection against a failed disk?

Message 13 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

Here is my goal

use the 4TB drive so i have 8TB of storage, but use thoese 4TBs as RAID, i plan to take out the 2TB and not use it. Or if possible could i use the 2TB as just a drive like for my backups. Only the 4TB will be used for RAID

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@aaseef021 wrote:

Here is my goal

use the 4TB drive so i have 8TB of storage, but use thoese 4TBs as RAID, i plan to take out the 2TB and not use it. Or if possible could i use the 2TB as just a drive like for my backups. Only the 4TB will be used for RAID

You are giving me proposed actions, but no goals.  In other words, I don't know what you are expecting your changes to accomplish for you.

In particular, 2x4TB RAID-1 will give you only 4 TB of storage, not 8 TB.  That is 2 TB less than your current volume size.

2x4TB RAID-0 would give you 8 TB of storage, but is not recommended.  That's because a failure of either drive will result in losing all the data on both drives.

If your goal is to maximize your storage, then you should set up 3 jbod volumes - one per disk, and put some shares on each.  Doing this is destructive - you'd need to back up all your data, create the new volumes, and then restore all the data from the backup.

If your goal is to balance storage with data safety, then the RAID mode you are already using is best.

Message 15 of 17
aaseef021
Aspirant

Hi Thank you for answering all my questions. 

I think i will keep everything as it is for now.

One additional question currently also i have a 6TB external, i currently am backing up my NAS to this this should be fine correct, i mean if something happened i can restore it

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@aaseef021 wrote:

One additional question currently also i have a 6TB external, i currently am backing up my NAS to this this should be fine correct, i mean if something happened i can restore it

Yes, you should be able to use the USB drive to back up the NAS.  I do recommend using a disk format that you can read on other devices (for instance your PC), and that you look at the backup from time to time, to make sure it is complete. 

I also suggest that you periodically test the drive (for instance run a full read test with the vendor's diagnostic tools), just to ensure that all the files saved on it can still be read.

One last thing to keep in mind - if your system gets hit by a power surge (for instance a nearby lightning strike), then the surge might also damage the USB drive.  So you might not want to keep the USB drive connected all the time.

Many people recommend rotating two or more drives, which reduces some of the risks above.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements