× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 102 install

beefybarn
Aspirant

Readynas 102 install

Hi

I am trying to set up a 102, got 2 3tb wd red drives in there from an old p.c. Have powered on and held the reset button and chose factory default (hard disk 1 led lit) and then pressed and released the reset but now have power, disk 1 and 2 and back up lights flashing at me, is this correct ?
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Readynas 102 install

How long have they been doing this?
If more than 15 minutes, power down, remove the disks , connect each to a PC and delete any existing partitions. Do this with both disks then put them back in the NAS and do the factory default again.

Did you try pushing the backup button after making your selection, this gets you straight into the factory default ( there is a 10 minute timeout after you make the selection, press the reset button and the disk tests have completed)
Message 2 of 8
beefybarn
Aspirant

Sorted that problem but now have another. The disks have setup as a raid 1 volume but I want raid 0 as I need all the disk space (its only for kids films and tv series) so no need for any backup. How do I change the raid setting
Message 3 of 8
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Go to the Volume page, uncheck X-RAID, select your volume and click Delete, follow instructions, then select the two disks in the chassis and click "New Volume" and select RAID 0 instead of RAID 1.
Message 4 of 8
beefybarn
Aspirant

So easy when someones explains it easily, many thanks for your help :thumbsup:
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You are better off creating 1 volume per drive. (e.g, select only one drive, click "new volume", then do the other).

If you create a single RAID-0 volume, then if either disk fails you lose everything. If you have one volume/drive you only lose the data on the drive that failed.
Message 6 of 8
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

StephenB wrote:
You are better off creating 1 volume per drive. (e.g, select only one drive, click "new volume", then do the other).

That is completely personal preference. I personally enjoy 6 enterprise 4TB drives in RAID 0 on my 716X. If my RAID fails, just do some disk cloning and create a new RAID over the top of existing RAID.
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

readysecure1985 wrote:
StephenB wrote:

That is completely personal preference. I personally enjoy 6 enterprise 4TB drives in RAID 0 on my 716X. If my RAID fails, just do some disk cloning and create a new RAID over the top of existing RAID.
Users who are still figuring out how to get to RAID-0 in the first place need to be warned about the implications on data loss.

With 2 volumes, you need to balance the storage yourself (creating some shares on each, and keeping reasonable free space on both). You will see identical performance, and failures will have much less impact.

The only benefit of RAID-0 spanning multiple drives is that you don't need to balance the storage manually.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements