× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 202 unable to access files from computer when there are too many pictures!

WORSTNIGHTMARE
Aspirant

Readynas 202 unable to access files from computer when there are too many pictures!

So I primarily bought this to  use as FTP file storage for my wifi security cameras. I also planned to use it for offsite access and backup up for files across my home network.

That part of it seems to be working, except when it starts to build up a large number of 300kb or smaller photo files, the folders will not show anything from my mac finder in SMB unless I view the folders through a webpage on my browser.

On the browser it is very slow difficult to navigate. Only when I delete a large number of the files am I able to see anything on my computer using the SMB network access. I'm running Yosemite and the most current Firmware available on the NAS.

Of course after endless google searches, I still havent been able to find any kind of hard evidence as to what the file number limit in a folder might be for this...

I'm also pretty pissed off that the 3 year warranty is useless... 90 days of support unless you want to pay. I'm also afraid the ethernet ports may be on the way out after less than a year and trying to figure out how to get service is next to impossible as well. I put in a warranty claim and got NO response and the webpages led me in circles... I'm about ready to pull my drives out of this piece of crap and take a sledge hammer to it... I haven't used any netgear products in a quite a while due to a very disapointing experience with a wireless router AND it's replacement a few years ago. I don't think I will ever buy another Netgear product or have anything nice to say about this company to anyone I know as long as I live after this experience...

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS 202
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 202 unable to access files from computer when there are too many pictures!

@WORSTNIGHTMARE wrote:

Of course after endless google searches, I still havent been able to find any kind of hard evidence as to what the file number limit in a folder might be for this...

As far as I know there isn't one. The largest folder I have is about 3800 files.  Where do you start running in to trouble?  Note I only have windows PCs.

Also, what firmware do you have running on the NAS?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@WORSTNIGHTMARE wrote:

As far as I know there isn't one. The largest folder I have is about 3800 files.  Where do you start running in to trouble?  Note I only have windows PCs.

Also, what firmware do you have running on the NAS?

Message 2 of 5
WORSTNIGHTMARE
Aspirant

Hey thanks for replying! Like I said, I have the latest available firmware 6.6.0. I'm using a Mac with Yosemite but I have a Windoze 7 pro machine. I will have a go on that machine and see if things improve just to be sure. It does all sorts of crazy stuff on my mac. Never very consistent. I'm not the best at networking but I can't usually figure my way around things pretty well. I have a firewall but it's disabled and all of the folders with smaller amounts of files come up after a few seconds the first time opening them after a fresh boot or relaunching the finder (Explorer).

I actually got a folder to show up after waiting for almost a half an hour to for it to populate but as soon as I tried to do anything with it, it froze up the folder window and I had to relaunch the finder in mac which took a really long time. I'll give it a go on Windoze and post my findings. Thanks so much again!

Message 3 of 5
WORSTNIGHTMARE
Aspirant

Well guess what? After updating the readycloud app on windoze it appears that that it is working correctly on that system so it has to be somewhere in the Mac environment... I feel pretty stupid for not trying this before... hopefully the issue with the ethernet ports proves to be a result of something on my Mac as well. I'll take stupid over stuff that doesn't work any day! Thanks for the hint towards the obvious! I'll come back and complain some more if something else comes up. Haha!

Thanks so much again!

Message 4 of 5
WORSTNIGHTMARE
Aspirant

Thanks so much again!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements