× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 526X and Intel 2.5G Ethernet

Ceyropaiax
Guide

Readynas 526X and Intel 2.5G Ethernet

I understand that the new Intel Ethernet chip can do 2.5G (instead of 1G) with EXISTING 1G Ethernet cables, and new motherboards with said chip is already showing up-- the new Ryzen 550 motherboards for example.

My simple question is, since my 526X supports 10G, if I upgrade my PC, do I get 2.5G Ethernet between my PC and my NAS?

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 526X and Intel 2.5G Ethernet

@Ceyropaiax wrote:

My simple question is, since my 526X supports 10G, if I upgrade my PC, do I get 2.5G Ethernet between my PC and my NAS?

Not with a direct connect.  The RN526x has 10GBASE-T ethernet, and AFAIK doesn't support 2.5GBASE-T or 5GBASE-T.

You'd need to get a multigig switch, and connect both devices to that switch.

@Ceyropaiax wrote:

I understand that the new Intel Ethernet chip can do 2.5G (instead of 1G) with EXISTING 1G Ethernet cables

FWIW, the older 10GBASE-T ethernet in the RN526x runs over CAT-6.  2.5GBASE-T can run on the older CAT-5e.

I already had Cat-6 cabling.  I have some 10GBASE-T switch ports, and upgraded one desktop PC with an Aquantia board ( an ASUS XG-C100C )

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements