× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Disappeared from network

KILO_6
Aspirant

Readynas Disappeared from network

Hi All, 

I set up my readynas in 2018 and it's been working fine since.  Today I tried to access my files, and it wouldn't load. I tried to go to the IP address and it says not found. I checked my router attached devices and it doesn't show. 

I tried the 2 netgear programs to find it, Raider and (I forgot the other name)  and neither found it. 

I rebooted the device several times, to no avail. I'm not sure what could've happened.  I tried plugging in the 2nd lan port, directly to my router to rule out the port, cable, and switch.    

I plugged in a monitor directly too the nas, and I can get to the bios screen.  I can enter it, but I can't get anything past that.  After trying to continue to boot, I get a black screen/monitor shuts off.  

The lights on the front.    2nd light for lan connection. (blinking blue)  4th light for power is blinking green.   I have 3 HDD's in the device.  1 2 & 3 have steady blue lights.  Drive 1 has a steady green light as well.

The data I have is not backed up and I'm really afraid to lose everything.  Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Since RAIDar found it diskless, then something has happened to the disks.

You can try booting up in read-only mode from the boot menu without disk 1 (but with the others), and see if that works. 

If it does: the volume will be degraded (meaning no RAID redundancy).  Offload your data before proceeding further, since it is at risk.

If it doesn't work: you can power down the NAS, and try again without disk 2 (but with disk 1).   Similarly with disk 3 and disk 4.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What NAS model do you have?

Are the ethernet LEDs showing a connection at the NAS and the router?

Also, you could try powering down the NAS, and removing the disks (labeling by slot).  Then power up diskless, and see if you get an IP address at the router, and if RAIDar can find it.

Message 2 of 9
KILO_6
Aspirant

Hi, I have a RR2304.

Rear ethernet port has a green light constant, and a blinking orange light.    The switch also lights up that it's plugged into. 

I just pulled the 3 drives out and RAIDar found it. I used the default password to enter, and it says no discs found currently. 

What can I do next? Thank you! 

Message 3 of 9
KILO_6
Aspirant

I'm on my phone and there's no edit button that I see. Please excuse the double post. The IP address did change. I'm plugged in a different port on the back of the NAS and everything too though.
Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Since RAIDar found it diskless, then something has happened to the disks.

You can try booting up in read-only mode from the boot menu without disk 1 (but with the others), and see if that works. 

If it does: the volume will be degraded (meaning no RAID redundancy).  Offload your data before proceeding further, since it is at risk.

If it doesn't work: you can power down the NAS, and try again without disk 2 (but with disk 1).   Similarly with disk 3 and disk 4.

Message 5 of 9
KILO_6
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, 

So I pulled out Disk 1,  and it booted on disk 2.  My usual password worked, interface worked, etc. 

It automatically updated the firmware according to the logs.  I powered down, put drive 1 in, and we are copying the data now.  It's iffy, but it looks as if the data is copying. The speeds are jumping all over and it's taking a long time, but it looks to be working. 

If I can get the data off, I will be excited!   After that, I don't know if it was just a bad update, or a bad drive...   

Again, thank you for your guidance thus far! 

Message 6 of 9
KILO_6
Aspirant

I was able to recover the data and opted to just replace the drive. I put a new drive in it's place, and the NAS is functioning properly.  

Very strange, I will copy my data onto the new drive and carry on.  Some type of HDD failure/corruption.  

THANK YOU for your guidance!!!! 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@KILO_6 wrote:

After that, I don't know if it was just a bad update, or a bad drive...   

The OS partition that the NAS boots from is RAID-1 (mirrored on all drives in the system).  Normally the boot loader will boot from the first bootable disk it finds in the system - it doesn't fail over to the another drive if that disk fails to boot, and it doesn't take advantage of the RAID redundancy.

If the system fails to boot with disk 1 installed, but boots without it, then that generally points to a bad drive, and not a failed update.  In that situation, I'd personally look at the log zip fip file for errors, and would also test the drive in a PC with vendor tools before reinstalling the drive. 

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Putting back in the original Drive 1 was probably not your best move, since it likely has errors and new problems could have arisen during the re-sync, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements