× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo (Firmware 4.1.16) Maximum Drive Capacity

Davidkent89
Aspirant

Readynas Duo (Firmware 4.1.16) Maximum Drive Capacity

Good Afternoon.

I'm almosts at Capacity on the single drive installed in my Readynas, and Am looking to upgrade.

I'm not certain of the model, but the Firmware is 4.1.16 if this helps.

What is the largest drive i can install? I'd like to install 2, and assume that by doing so, I'll have one lot of storage, but duplicated incase of drive failure, is this correct?

Eg: If i buy 2 x 2TB Drives, I'll only have 2TB of Storage but it'll be 'safe' as it were?

If this is the case, How do i go about setting them up in this manner, or is this an automatic process?

How can I tell what drives are compatible? I have my Eye on 2x Toshiba Drives.

I do apologise if this has been covered, I'm a little new to Readynas and though I've had a search, I can't appear to find what I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance

David

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas Duo (Firmware 4.1.16) Maximum Drive Capacity

As long as you have not disabled XRAID, the process is automatic.  Insert one of the new 2TB drives (that is the largest your unit will accept) into the empty bay and let it sync.  Then remove the original and let it sync again.  Do these with power on.  You will then have 2TB of redundant space with your original data still on it.  Note, that I did not say safe.  Your NAS is very dated.  Things other than drive failure can and do happen, and you can lose your data even on a much newer NAS.  A safer way is to connect the second drive via USB using a format your computer can read if the NAS fails (NTFS for Windows users) and use backup jobs to copy the data.  It's still not safe from fire, flood, theft, etc., and it's not automatic, but it's safe against a NAS failure.  RAID provides for continuous access to the data through a drive failure, but is not a backup system.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

As long as you have not disabled XRAID, the process is automatic.  Insert one of the new 2TB drives (that is the largest your unit will accept) into the empty bay and let it sync.  Then remove the original and let it sync again.  Do these with power on.  You will then have 2TB of redundant space with your original data still on it.  Note, that I did not say safe.  Your NAS is very dated.  Things other than drive failure can and do happen, and you can lose your data even on a much newer NAS.  A safer way is to connect the second drive via USB using a format your computer can read if the NAS fails (NTFS for Windows users) and use backup jobs to copy the data.  It's still not safe from fire, flood, theft, etc., and it's not automatic, but it's safe against a NAS failure.  RAID provides for continuous access to the data through a drive failure, but is not a backup system.

Message 2 of 6
Davidkent89
Aspirant

Thankyou for a Very informative reply.

Is there a USB Drive that you would recommend?

Thankyou.

David

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

On the USB drive, you'll get faster backup speeds if you attach the backup drive to a PC and back up over ethernet.  The 4.1.x systems are extremely slow at USB backup (particularly to NTFS drives).  That also allows you to use any size USB drive - the NAS is limited to 2 TB on external drives.

Message 4 of 6
Davidkent89
Aspirant

Seems then, That I may aswell buy 3x 2TB Drives to Utilise the Full X raid Functionality and the third one for a 'Just incase backup' and a caddy to stick it into.

Is there a particular Brand / Model worth looking at, without breaking the bank?

Thanks so far!

Model: ReadyNAS-1000S|ReadyNAS-1000S
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Davidkent89 wrote:

Seems then, That I may aswell buy 3x 2TB Drives to Utilise the Full X raid Functionality

2x2TB in a duo v1.

Western Digital Red drives (WD20EFRX) or Seagate Ironwolf (ST2000VN00x) are good choices.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements