× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recommended ReadyNAS Implementation with Redundancy

digitaldentistr
Aspirant

Recommended ReadyNAS Implementation with Redundancy

I'm looking to build redundancy between two NAS devices on a local network. My use for the ReadyNAS is to completely separate data which is currently around 500GB and growing at 100GB a year from the current Dell Server T310. I will be setting up the NAS device as a ISCSI and I want to basically provide complete protection so that in case of hardware failure on one NAS, the second one has all data necessary data and can take the role of the primary NAS. Based on most of what I have read so far, it seems that the replicate feature is designed for NAS residing on separate networks and locations. In this implementation, they will need to be on the same LAN.

Does the replicate feature work with two of these devices residing on the same LAN?

When two of them are on the same LAN, is data then sent directly in between across the LAN?

What's involved in changing the info on the secondary NAS to take the role of first?

Which ReadyNAS models do you recommend that would work best with this implementation?
Message 1 of 6
Nhellie
Virtuoso

The NAS has its own Raid feature for redundancy so technically the data is protected, but adding another backup is always recommended. Check this link below for information about replicate:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... a-nutshell

I would recommend the 300 or the 500 series.
Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Replicate is a backup solution. You would need to restore the backup either onto the backup destination or another NAS.

Personally I would not call RAID a backup due to the limitations of it. RAID is great and I value using it highly.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

ISCSI makes the backup more complicated I think. You could create ISCSI luns on both NAS and copy one to the other using scheduled jobs on the Dell server.

If you want to use ISCSI, I suggest the RN500 series.
Message 4 of 6
digitaldentistr
Aspirant

I was looking over the replicate feature and it says

"Backup data or replicate the entire device
ReadyNAS Replicate gives you the option to backup a selected folder on the ReadyNAS, or backup/replicate the entire ReadyNAS. The replication support captures all the configuration settings on your ReadyNAS so that you can replicate the primary ReadyNAS environment just by doing a simple system restore."

The above says that it can replicate the entire unit including it's configuration. So why can't I just do a restore on the second NAS in case of a failure of primary NAS?
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Where did you see that info? For our legacy devices there is an option to backup the system configuration using Replicate.

For our new devices you would do a Config Backup, keep the zip file in a safe place and restore that if necessary to keep the configuration and do a restore from the Replicate backup destination.

If you have enough space free you can restore onto the backup destination I think.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements