× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recover data Can I read the backup data created on RN102 on USB drive

bobfa100
Aspirant

Recover data Can I read the backup data created on RN102 on USB drive

My RN102 was running 6,6,1 with two 4TB in RAID 1 with scheduled backups to an external 5 TB USB drive.  I bellieve the chassis has failed. On power up it connects to the network for a minute or so then drops and the front panel freezes.  

Are the backup files on the external drive in a Netgear propriatary format?  I'd like to read them on my PC if possible.  Right now the Bacxkup drive isn't recognized by Windows 10. 

I have another chassis on order, but just in case...

Thanks in advance

Bob

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Recover data Can I read the backup data created on RN102 on USB drive

The data is in whatever format you told it to use.  Since you can't see it on a Windows machine, it is probably safe to assume that it is in Linux ext3 or ext4 format.  There are ext file system readers available for Windows, or you could boot a computer using a Linux live boot disk,  Google is you frienbd for Windows ext file system drivers/readers.

Message 2 of 3
bobfa100
Aspirant

Re: Recover data Can I read the backup data created on RN102 on USB drive

Per your advise, I found 4 utilities to read the ext4 backup.  I bought Paragon ExFS for Windows because it had the best UI and work well.  

Anotherj question for you.  In my research on this, I remember an article that mentioned what configuration file to copy to the RN102 that would let it see the backups..  Right now I'm dropping and dragging from the backup drive to the appropriate folders.  

Would you know where I can find that informtion.

Thanks again 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements