× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recovering data from an Ultra Raid array on a Windows PC ?

chano22000
Aspirant

Recovering data from an Ultra Raid array on a Windows PC ?

Hi,

I currently own several NV+ boxes (Sparc architecture). In case of a hardware failure (as the PSU for theses units), disks can be moved to another machine and data recovered.

Since Sparc architecture is now discontinued, I consider purchasing an Ultra NAS (x86 based).

Q : For the same purpose of recovering the data from a faulty x86 Readynas, can I move the drives to a Windows X86 based PC (as current motherboards have 6 or more internal sata sockets available) ?

Which drivers and raid software should be installed ? In case of there is no other solution but to install Linux, which flavor has to be used, which packages have to be installed and configured, how installation should be performed for easy and clean uninstall ? Is there a tutorial availaible ?

Thanks for your feedback.

(I do not use the Netgear proprietary X-Raid but hopefully standard RAID5)
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Recovering data from an Ultra Raid array on a Windows PC

Not sure about Windows software, but the RAID array would be easy to recover data from using Linux (assuming there's nothing wrong with the array). You'd simply need things like lvm2 installed, start the array using mdadm, scan for volumes and once the scan's found the volume activate it and mount it.
Message 2 of 9
chano22000
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm.

Are you aware of Windows based software (ext driver + software Raid) that could do the job ? I really would like to avoid the Linux path and my Windows based PCs are not configured to host another OS.

Regards.
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I haven't tried any. There are suggestions made on the forum from time to time that could be tried.

However if the NAS chassis fails you can migrate your disks across to a replacement chassis: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another
Message 4 of 9
chano22000
Aspirant

However if the NAS chassis fails you can migrate your disks across to a replacement chassis

... sharing the sale platform (Sparc, x86, ARM) or do I miss something ?

I do not yet plan to purchase two Ultra chassis from which one sleping spare in case of.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

chano22000 wrote:
However if the NAS chassis fails you can migrate your disks across to a replacement chassis

... sharing the sale platform (Sparc, x86, ARM) or do I miss something ?

I do not yet plan to purchase two Ultra chassis from which one sleping spare in case of.
Yes, it would need to be the same platform.

Of course if you want the fastest recovery time, buying a second chassis now is the best option, using it for backup. Though you could wait until the unit fails, then buy the replacement chassis (keeping an eye on the forum, so you can buy one if/when it is discontinued).
Message 6 of 9
tiranor
Aspirant

chano22000 wrote:
Thanks mdgm.

Are you aware of Windows based software (ext driver + software Raid) that could do the job ? I really would like to avoid the Linux path and my Windows based PCs are not configured to host another OS.

Regards.

Even a live CD ?
Message 7 of 9
chano22000
Aspirant

Hi Tiranor,

No problem at all with a live CD, but my knowledge of Linux is very limted.
1) Which Linux flavor, where to get ?
2) Driver integration (Linux ones should be available for my chipset and motherboard) ?
3) Specific packages to install and configure (software RAID) ?
4) Shell script to mount and access the ReadyNAS RAID array ?

I really need some tutorial !
Are you aware of existing ones for 1) and 2) ?
3) and 4) are obviously specific to the way Raidiator and the x86 ReadyNAS handle their RAID5 array.

Thanks for advice.
Message 8 of 9
tiranor
Aspirant

I'm not sure if everything is included inside, but Knoppix is the main actor in Live CD, with utilities for system repair and troubleshooting. I've used it when one of my desktop HDD went dead : i couldn't boot windows with the HDD plugged, any tool used couldn't see the HDD, Knoppix managed to boot with the HDD plugged, and instantly recognized it, allowing me to backup most of its data.

I'm not a Linux man, so i'll let people more knowledgeable than me explain the steps.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements