× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote off-site backup between to Readynas devices

HoiHen
Aspirant

Remote off-site backup between to Readynas devices

Dear All,

I’m trying to figure out how to make a remote backup between two Readynas devices.

There is a lot to read on the community and the internet, but I’m new tot his topic and am looking for a step by step guide how to do so. So please forgive if it looks like new on a already discussed topic.

My situation is the following:

Current setup

• Readynas 214 home location
  • Readynas 102 placed at an off-site location

Both are not connected and used stand alone and do not share data.

Planned setup:

I would like to change over to the situation that the 214 does automatic backups to the 102 and the 102 automatically backups to the 214. Both are connected to an internet connection with sufficient speed.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remote off-site backup between to Readynas devices

@HoiHen wrote:

I would like to change over to the situation that the 214 does automatic backups to the 102 and the 102 automatically backups to the 214. 

Two-way sync would be a challenge, but if you are wanting RN102->RN214 for some shares, and RN214-RN102 for other shares, that will work.

One option is to use rsync-over-ssh.  You'd want to couple this with DDNS, so both NAS can reach the other by name, and you'll need to forward ports on both routers.  There is a guide here for the NAS setup: https://kb.netgear.com/29929/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-up-a-backup-job-with-rsync-over-SSH.  It doesn't include the router/ddns parts.

Message 2 of 8
HoiHen
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick reply. Indeed I do not plan to have the data on both the same, I want the shares of the 214 to go to the 102 and the 102 shares to the 214. Names can be different and one way syncing is enough. 

Reading through the article this looks a challenge to set up. I understand there will be a set of keys that interrelate both NAS devices used for the authentication and security.  These keys are then used to trace the NAS from anywhere on the net.

I found: https://kb.netgear.com/30070/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-log-in-using-a-public-private-key-pair

Would this be the way to do?  Or can it be fully done from the admin page. I do not find any key generation there.

DDNS would mean setting up a VPN connection between the two NAS devices via the routers? There fixed ports should be assigned then?  Another point to learn....

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@HoiHen wrote:

DDNS would mean setting up a VPN connection between the two NAS devices via the routers? 

No.  DDNS just lets you assign a DNS name to your routers.  Your ISP will sometimes change your router's WAN IP address (generally without notice).  DDNS gives you a stable way to reach your routers over the internet.  It is not a VPN (which is why you want to use Rsync over SSH - which is encrypted).

Some DDNS providers charge.  NoIP.com still has a basic free service.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Another method is to use a VPN.  I use ZeroTier.  The app that's available for the ARM units is a bit old, but still works.ZeroTier for ReadyNAS.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Another method is to use a VPN.  I use ZeroTier.  The app that's available for the ARM units is a bit old, but still works.ZeroTier for ReadyNAS.

Yes.  If you go with ZeroTier you can use normal rsync, since the VPN connection is secure.

Message 6 of 8
HoiHen
Aspirant

Thanks to all for your reply's, I think I see the basic road to go.  The two options are:

- DDNS + RSYNC over SSH 

- VPN + RSYNC

Will have a lot of reading to do, as I'm new to these types of connections and settings. I don't want to make a mistake and sharing my data to the internet.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@HoiHen wrote:

Thanks to all for your reply's, I think I see the basic road to go.  The two options are:

- DDNS + RSYNC over SSH 

- VPN + RSYNC

Yes, though some VPN approaches might also need DDNS.  ZeroTier doesn't.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements