× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replace A Disk With A Smaller One

natepiet
Aspirant

Replace A Disk With A Smaller One

Hi All,

I have a weird situation where I need to downgrade to smaller disk.

My setup is:
System: RN314 (OS 6.1.7, with X-RAID)
Volumes: 4TB x3 & 3TB x1 (currently using 6.72TB of 9.79TB)

I am in a position where I need to remove a 4TB Disk and replace it with a 3TB Disk. I have tried this to find that the NAS just keeps telling me that it was Degraded. So after 4 days I have now put the 4TB Disk back in.

I do still need to do this, so my question is, is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
natepiet
Message 1 of 5
de_niro
Guide

Replacing small disk is not a good idea in Xraid because your volume already has 2 raid group(md127 and md126),if you insist to do this,one of raid group will be marked as degraded. so best way is backup important data elsewhere than factory default the NAS.
Message 2 of 5
natepiet
Aspirant

Thanks de niro,

I thought that Backup and Factory Reset would be the only clean, but extremely painful solution.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 5
xeltros
Apprentice

The other clean solution would be to remove the need of switching the disk. Maybe we could help you to find a solution that doesn't involve removing the 4Tb disk.
I believe you want to use the 4Tb elsewhere or that it has some errors on it and want it replaced. Either case buying another 4Tb disk is a good solution.
Depending on the exact problem we may be able to find a workaround.

I see no way to get a fully redundant volume with one Tb less without destroying the entire array. So yes IMO, factory reset is the best option if you want to really do it.
PS : the 3Tb disk has to be put in the first slot.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

xeltros wrote:
...PS : the 3Tb disk has to be put in the first slot.
The slot order shouldn't matter. If you are installing sequentially, then the 3 TB drive does need to be installed first. But it doesn't need to be in slot 1.

If you are doing a factory reset with 1 3TB drive and 1-3 4 TB drives all in place, then the slot order does not matter at all.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements