× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replaced Drive Remove Inactive Volumes to use the Disk Disk#3

snewtonit
Aspirant

Replaced Drive Remove Inactive Volumes to use the Disk Disk#3

We have a RR2304 - ReadyNAS 2304 1U 4-Bay unit. It's running a 4 disk RAID 5 array with X-RAID. Disk 3 failed (Causing the volume to become degraded) and has been replaced. 20 minutes after being replaced an error has come up:

"Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. DIsk #3"

The volume has remained degraded so the replacement disk hasn't become part of the existing volume. How can i remove the inactive volume? 

I've looked through the manuals but can't find anything relating to replacing a disk and post checks. What is even more strange is the the new data-0 volume that has turned up is being deteccted as 32.72 TB.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replaced Drive Remove Inactive Volumes to use the Disk Disk#3

@snewtonit wrote:
The drive was sent as a replacement by NetGear.  ...

Will formatting or destroying that volume make it available?

Well, it looks like they tested the drive in a NAS, and didn't zero it when they removed it.  At least that is consistent with what you are seeing.  If so, it was sloppy on their part.

If they in fact did that, then destroying the inactive volume (from the volume settings wheel) and then formatting the disk in the NAS would make it available (and it would be automatically added to your degraded volume if you are set to use XRAID).

But I urge you to make sure you have a backup of the degraded volume before you do this (out of an abundance of caution).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@snewtonit wrote:

We have a RR2304 - ReadyNAS 2304 1U 4-Bay unit. It's running a 4 disk RAID 5 array with X-RAID. Disk 3 failed (Causing the volume to become degraded) and has been replaced. 20 minutes after being replaced an error has come up:

"Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. DIsk #3"

Did you replace the disk with an unformatted disk? 

Message 2 of 6
snewtonit
Aspirant

Thank you for replying so quickly. The drive was sent as a replacement by NetGear. I dont know the state of the drives partitions before as it wasn't tested before installation.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@snewtonit wrote:
The drive was sent as a replacement by NetGear.  ...

Well, it looks like they tested the drive in a NAS, and didn't zero it when they removed it.  At least that is consistent with what you are seeing.  If so, it was sloppy on their part.

If they in fact did that, then destroying the inactive volume (from the volume settings wheel) and then formatting the disk in the NAS would make it available (and it would be automatically added to your degraded volume if you are set to use XRAID).

But I urge you to make sure you have a backup of the degraded volume before you do this (out of an abundance of caution).

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS is seeing what it thinks are two "data" volumes, so it's calling one "data-0", which is the name of the MDADM RAID array on which the BTRFS volume resides.  It appears one of those is really a part of your original "data" volume, and the other is from some other volume fragment on the replacement drive.  But, don't go deleting any volumes via the GUI since you don't really know what's what, and that could make the problem far worse.

My recommendation is to re-boot the NAS in read-only mode without drive 3 and see if the volume now mounts as degraded.  If the problkem is due to the replacement having a fragment of another "data" volume, it will.  If it does, you can re-boot again into normal mode, then remove the partitions on the replacement drive with a PC either mounted internally to the PC or in a USB dock.  Then, add it with power still applied.  Since the drive is apparently used, you may want to test it using the vendor's test tool on a PC while you have it mounted there.

Message 5 of 6
snewtonit
Aspirant

Thank you for your detailed response @Sandshark . The only reason I decided to implement the response from @StephenB was because I didn't have physical access to the NAS and I was 100% certain which volume it was. If i wasn't sure, this would have been the next thing to try. Appretiate your response.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements