× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing drives in ReadyNAS Duo V2 - JBOD - Configuration retained?

pdaphone
Aspirant

Replacing drives in ReadyNAS Duo V2 - JBOD - Configuration retained?

I have a ReadyNAS Duo V2 that I use purely as a backup of another NAS.  Its configured presently with 2 x 2TB drives as JBOD.  I am upgrading the capacity of my primary NAS so now the JBOD is full and can no longer backup.  I would like to replace the 2x2TB drives with 2x4TB drives (As far as I know, this is the max size... is that correct?).  I have all my backup jobs setup the way I want them and it took some time to get them that way.  If I shut it down and replace both drives, then restart, will the configuration be maintained; or is that information stored on the drives?  I realize I'll lose all my data, but as I said its backing up a RAID NAS, so I'll accept the risk for the couple of days it takes to get everything backed up again.... plus I do have the 2 drives with most of the backup if anything catastrophic happened.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacing drives in ReadyNAS Duo V2 - JBOD - Configuration retained?

The OS and the configuration are both saved on the drives.  So if you remove both drives (NAS powered down) and then install the two new ones as JBOD, then you will go through a from-scratch configuration.  

With OS 4.x there is a way to save/restore the configuration - I'm not sure if that is available for OS 5.  If it is, you'll need to be careful to install any add-ons you might use prior to restoring the configuration.

If you did need to revert, you just power down the NAS and reinstall the original disks in their original slots.

Though 4 TB is the largest drive size on the HCL, there is no technical reason why 6 TB drives won't work.  You should get either NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Seagate VN) or enterprise.  NAS-purposed drives are about the same price as desktop and have better warranties.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 4
pdaphone
Aspirant

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The OS and the configuration are both saved on the drives.  So if you remove both drives (NAS powered down) and then install the two new ones as JBOD, then you will go through a from-scratch configuration.  

With OS 4.x there is a way to save/restore the configuration - I'm not sure if that is available for OS 5.  If it is, you'll need to be careful to install any add-ons you might use prior to restoring the configuration.

If you did need to revert, you just power down the NAS and reinstall the original disks in their original slots.

Though 4 TB is the largest drive size on the HCL, there is no technical reason why 6 TB drives won't work.  You should get either NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Seagate VN) or enterprise.  NAS-purposed drives are about the same price as desktop and have better warranties.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements