× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restoring a RN102 After Factory Reset

NASklr
Aspirant

Restoring a RN102 After Factory Reset

I'm considering refreshing my RN102 after botching the snapshot folders. It has two 1TB disks in a RAiD1 config, and currently has 20GB of space left. I couldn't tell easily how much of that was held within a year of snapshots so I tried to manually delete them by allowing snapshot access, then going into the share with a Winodws PC and deleting the oldest snapshot files. Needless to say this had mixed results. My free space didn't change, and snapshots still show up in the RN102 timeline. (yes, I'm an NAS noob.)

I'm considering a vertical expansion by replacing the 1TB drives with 3TBs (current sweetspot for $/GB on WD reds.) I have two usb external 1TB drives I use for alternating backups that I will also upgrade to 3TB.

1) Is it plausible to save the current RN102 configuration, restore to factory defaults, replace the drives with 3TB units, restore the saved RN102 configuration, then copy over backed up files to the shares on the freshened-up 102?

2) Would this clean up the mess I made out of the snapshots (I don't mind losing the old ones)? I've turned off snapshots on all shares for now until I complete this move.

3) Is there some sort of Moore's Law that file size _and_ file number will double every year? 😉

-NASklr

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Restoring a RN102 After Factory Reset

It would have been better to delete the snapshots from the admin web ui. 

@NASklr wrote:

I'm considering a vertical expansion by replacing the 1TB drives with 3TBs (current sweetspot for $/GB on WD reds.) I have two usb external 1TB drives I use for alternating backups that I will also upgrade to 3TB.

1) Is it plausible to save the current RN102 configuration, restore to factory defaults, replace the drives with 3TB units, restore the saved RN102 configuration, then copy over backed up files to the shares on the freshened-up 102?

Yes, but also uninstall any apps you installed before you save the configuration. Also, reinstall them after you restore the configuration.

2) Would this clean up the mess I made out of the snapshots (I don't mind losing the old ones)? I've turned off snapshots on all shares for now until I complete this move.

Yes.

3) Is there some sort of Moore's Law that file size _and_ file number will double every year? 😉

Data overall is growing faster than Moore's law. Though that doesn't mean yours has to of course. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It would have been better to delete the snapshots from the admin web ui. 

@NASklr wrote:

Yes, but also uninstall any apps you installed before you save the configuration. Also, reinstall them after you restore the configuration.

Yes.

Data overall is growing faster than Moore's law. Though that doesn't mean yours has to of course. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
NASklr
Aspirant

Cool. I'll give it a try.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements