× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rsync broken since 6.7.1 & 6.7.3

nsne
Virtuoso

I'll third that. The inability to back up reliably is a serious, almost critical bug, mdgm.

Message 26 of 54
hmuessig
Luminary

Fourth! 

Message 27 of 54
Bent82
Guide

I am running into this as well, the backup finishes immediately after I hit the backup button.  I backup to a USB drive using rsync, and today I had another issue with the ReadyNAS being unable to boot after a power outage, so I thought it was related to the OS reinstall I had to do, but it appears it isn't.  I formatted my backup drive thinking it was the problem, and when I try to reenable rsync permission on the drive, I get an error "Unknown User (root)" and am unable to give rsync permission to access the disk.  Is this related to the issue?

Message 28 of 54
Sharpy
Aspirant

Is there an update to this issue it's been a long time now
Message 29 of 54
capaz
Tutor

My rsync backup problems closely matched the OP's, and they were fixed with 6.7.5-T299 (Beta 1).

Message 30 of 54

Is everyone still experiencing this issue 

Message 31 of 54
davidr1
Luminary

Aplologies for delayed response - unexpectedly not avaliable.

Is 6.7.5-T299 (Beta 1) recommended to fix this problem? It has not been offered obviously as it is beta nor talked about but a fix is urgently needed?

It says

Unless you are advised by NETGEAR Support in a support case to update to beta software, NETGEAR Support may deny support if you are running beta software. You can seek help here on the NETGEAR Community for issues encountered on the beta.

and I can't afford to introduce other problems.

If it is a known good fix, surely it could say so?

Message 32 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

If it is a known good fix, surely it could say so?

What it says is: [Beta 1] Fixed an issue where rsync local-to-remote backup jobs would only back up the top-level folder.

So it fixes that problem, as @capaz attests.  Is that the problem you have?

Unless you  are advised by NETGEAR Support in a support case to update to beta software, NETGEAR Support may deny support if you are running beta software. You can seek help here on the NETGEAR Community for issues encountered on the beta.

As you likely know all ReadyNAS public betas have that warning.  I am running  6.7.5-RC1 on my backup NAS, and haven't had any issues.  But it is possible that Netgear Support would deny support if you install it.

Message 33 of 54
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks StephenB,

Yes, I saw the[Beta 1] Fixed an issue where rsync local-to-remote backup jobs would only back up the top-level folder.

I was anticipating an rsync only fix ... my post was expressed badly (just out of hospital) - I was alluding to the other things in that release potentially causing problems ...

Thanks for your post though, it gives me the confidence to go ahead and install it.

Many thanks and apologies for any confusion.

Message 34 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

I was alluding to the other things in that release potentially causing problems ...

That is a risk for sure.

This one is already at release-candidate, and it's been stable for me (at least).

Message 35 of 54
nsne
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

This one is already at release-candidate, and it's been stable for me (at least).

But, honestly, Netgear doesn't have the best track record with firmware releases of late. Though I actually need to install 6.7.5's fixes to resume my rsync backups (now several months out of date), I'm not updating until it's been officially released and tested in the wild for a week or two without incident.

Message 36 of 54
Sharpy
Aspirant

Yh im thinking about saving up and jumping ship maby a move to synology would be better at the end of the day we are only paying our money because we care about our data

And netgear don't seem to be up to that role

With constant firmware bugs and no rush to fix major problems like a Rsync backup

Message 37 of 54
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 38 of 54
nsne
Virtuoso

@jak0lantash wrote:

6.7.5 is released now: https://kb.netgear.com/000038857/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-5

Thanks! Best of luck to the canaries in the coal mine. I'm going to wait to hear others' experience and see if this is less buggy than the last 6.7.x releases.

Message 39 of 54
Sharpy
Aspirant

Thats my plan too but we can't all do that lol
Message 40 of 54
capaz
Tutor

Test post, please ignore.  I've tried two times posting to this thread and neither has shown up.

Edit:  ...and now it works.  weird.  sorry.

Message 41 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@capaz wrote:

I've tried two times posting to this thread and neither has shown up.

Usually that means the forum spam filter triggered for some reason.  You can PM me, as I can release it.

Message 42 of 54

I have checked for a update it says no updates available 

Message 43 of 54
jak0lantash
Mentor

Download 6.7.5 from the release notes page and install it on the NAS this way. The "check for update" is usually rolled out days or weeks after the firmware is actually available for download.
Message 44 of 54
davidr1
Luminary

Yes, IMHO it's always better if the update is pushed rather than pulled.

Downloaded the ReadyNASOS-6.7.5-x86_64.zip file but:

I use Linux OS (Ubuntu 16.04.2). I have tried uploading from my desktop but get 'Unrecognised server error'.

My usb drives do not have mount points on my pc so are not visible in the Browse window.

Whilst I could put the update file in a share which is mounted on the pc this is all rather 'messy'. OK, so 2 units are Legacy (Pro2 and Ultra2) and one a 31400 but it should not be this 'difficult'.

Any ideas please and may I ask why this update is not pushed? That makes updates far more 'easy'.

Message 45 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

Any ideas please and may I ask why this update is not pushed? That makes updates far more 'easy'.

Netgear always delays putting the new firmware on the auto-update server.

Though they've never said exactly why, my guess is that it gives them a little time to see if there are any unexpected issues before it hits the full installed base.

Message 46 of 54
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks StephenB,

Sounds like we are beta testing before going to release .... <sigh> 😞

It is odd that on reopening my browser and logging in to Frontview I get the message:

Firmware version 6.7.5 was uploaded and will be installed after you reboot the device <Reboot> <Close>

But as my previous post said I got 'Unrecognizable server error' after uploading from my desktop.

Any suggestions please?

Message 47 of 54
TeknoJnky
Hero

i get the unrecognized server message too

just reboot and it will upgrade

Message 48 of 54
Bent82
Guide

With this new firmware version I no longer get errors enabling the rsync permission for my USB drive, and the backup appears to be running normally.  So it looks like it is fixed.

Message 49 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

Sounds like we are beta testing before going to release .... <sigh> 😞

It may sound that way, but it is Netgear's usual practice.  You can of course wait for it to hit the update server.

@davidr1 wrote:

It is odd that on reopening my browser and logging in to Frontview I get the message:

Firmware version 6.7.5 was uploaded and will be installed after you reboot the device <Reboot> <Close>

But as my previous post said I got 'Unrecognizable server error' after uploading from my desktop.

Any suggestions please?

Did you reboot the NAS?  If so, was 6.7.5 installed?

I haven't seen the unrecognizable server error myself - I upgraded two NAS with no issues.

Message 50 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements