× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rsync broken since 6.7.1 & 6.7.3

capaz
Tutor

FWIW, I got the "Unrecognized Server" error, and then the uploaded/reboot prompt dialog.  Re-uploaded and got the same result, twice more.  Finally, after going in on SSH and confirming that things looked ready to go, I went ahead and rebooted.  It did the update and came up on 6.7.5.

RN104, going from 6.7.5-T299

Message 51 of 54
davidr1
Luminary

All units have now been updated to 6.7.5

Superficially, it appears rsync is now working again.

We have scheduled this weekend to thoroughly test every file in the backups with the files in /Data to ensure integrity.

Thanks to those at Netgear who expedited the code.

Message 52 of 54

How will you be checking the integrity of the data 

my unit rn104 has also been updated to 6.7.5 

my backups do report as successful and do run more than previous firmware releases but I have ran into some errors still 

Data stored in home folders didn't backup reported successful , log indicates ACL Errors also 

Couldnt gain permission to access home folders inside backup 

Message 53 of 54
davidr1
Luminary

Hi Spacemonkey12,

Spacemonkey12 wrote:
How will you be checking the integrity of the data

We have always:

1. Done a backup
  2. Checksummed each file (proprietrary scripted)
  3. Parrallel run dummy identical transactions on two computers - ensured each result is identical - very time consuming.
  4. For files such as media files relied only on 2 above as they are not critical.

There are too many files to do this in a short time. So data is always categorized as essential, can be recreated or not important if lost.

We use our golden rules of backups:

• never trust them
  • do daily or hourly as required
  • every 2nd day
  • every week
  • every month

This way, to date, we have been able to recover from corrupted files in backups or in use.

We have to provide an audit every time a clients data needs recovering so we have developed many safeguards.

Each to their own needs - this has worked for us and files do get corrupted.

I'm sure others have different methods - you might consider a separate thread on checking the integrity of backups?

Hope this helps.

Message 54 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements