× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rsync setup between NETGEAR ReadyNAS and FreeNAS

Rsync setup between NETGEAR ReadyNAS and FreeNAS

Hey guys, Today I managed to setup a working Rsync connection between my FreeNAS and NETGEAR ReadyNAS servers. I shot a detailed video of all the steps. FYI, in my scenario, I am using my FreeNAS as the Rsync source (push) and the NETGEAR as my archive server. (or a remote mirror site).

I was new to the same, and so when I searched I couldn't able to find exact steps between FreeNAS and NETGEAR. Instead I was able to get the FreeNAS<>FreeNAS guide or NETGEAR<>NETGEAR official documentation. Hence after a successful setup I thought of sharing my setup.

Hope this will be useful 🙂

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kiran_kankipati,

Thank you for sharing this :). We appreciate your contribution to the community. 

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6

Thanks a lot John. I loved the ReadyNAS Rsync live mouse-over status info, where it shows the bytes/data being transferred and the overall data being transferred Heart

Message 3 of 6
Herrieman
Aspirant

Hi Kiran,

Your video came just in time: I just built a Freenas setup recentely. However, I do not seem to be able to find my Freenas server on my Readynas.

When I try to create a new backup task on the Readynas I fill in the IP address of my Freenas system where it says "Host". My Readynas however is not able to detect the Freenas system. When I click "Discover" it scans for about 1 second before reporting that it could not find any Rsync servers.

The Rsync service is enabled on my Freenas. Also I can ping both devices without any issues, they are on the same subnet.

I even tried to start with the Freenas setup (creating a new Rsync module, creating an Rsync task on the Freenas) but none of this has helped me. Was there perhaps a step or two that you had to perform before being able to connect the Readynas to the Freenas which you did not show in your video?

Thanks in advance,

Herrieman

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Herrieman wrote:

When I try to create a new backup task on the Readynas I fill in the IP address of my Freenas system where it says "Host". My Readynas however is not able to detect the Freenas system. When I click "Discover" it scans for about 1 second before reporting that it could not find any Rsync servers.

You don't need to discover, you can just enter the appropriate path.

Message 5 of 6
Herrieman
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I think I found it: suddenly after a reboot it worked. At first I had no idea why, until I saw that my VPN application had not connected. I think this is what caused the issue.

Strange thing though: I even tried on Linux Mint and it gave me the same error message. On Windows it works now.

Thanks for your time and tip.

Regards,

Herrieman

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements