× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMB: Browse shares from android broken

chopin70
Virtuoso

SMB: Browse shares from android broken

Hi,

Devices: Ready NAS Ultra 2, OS 6.2.4

Under OS 4, I could access my shares using android Root Explorer or ES File Explorer on my local wifi network

With OS6, using Root Explorer, I noticed I can only browse folders, but I cannot list the file they contain. Files in root of the share are listed, but not downloaded. Basically, I can browse through folder structure but I cannot list any file.

ES File Explorer gives an error when accessing folders from share root: insufficient permissions

Same shares with same credentials work perfectly from windows PC

Any fix to this?
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
chopin70
Virtuoso

Re: SMB: Browse shares from android broken

I used the "fix permissions" option and configured again all permissions for each user

This fixed all access issues

Something must have locked up all permissions, now all is fine since a few weeks

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
RX
Luminary
Luminary

I am not a Root Explorer user... however, just want to ask if you are using the latest version via Google Play (çoz I know its not for free)? or did you just download an apk file from a certain website?
Are you also using the latest version of ES File Explorer (this one is free via Google Play)?
Have you also tried using other Android phone (same or different model) to isolate the problem?
Message 2 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

I use latest Root Explorer
I also tried with free ES File Explorer

I tried on 3 devices (S4, Note 4, S2), same result
Message 3 of 13
RX
Luminary
Luminary

chopin70 wrote:
Same shares with same credentials work perfectly from windows PC

Have you tried removing any restriction on the shares and set it to "Allow anonymous access" and check if you could access it via Root Explorer/ES Explorer?
Message 4 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

I just tried anonymous access through ES File Explorer and I ensured all permissions for all users incl anonymous access to SMB Network and File Access in NAS

Same result as above

Things were working before the update
I even uninstalled completely Android app and installed again, configured from scratch, same result

PC access works. I know well how to setup permissions and access rights
Message 5 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

I tried to install SMB Plus app and set the SMB version to 2.x and 1.x, still nothing
I tried another android smb client, AndSMB, same thing

So there is clearly a bug here on the NAS side or an incompatibility with android SMB implementation

Any help is really appreciated
Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

ES file explorer is accessing my RN102 with SMB over wifi with no problem. Files are visible, and download/open.

ES File Explorer is version 3.2.5.1 I used the NAS "admin" and did not select "anonymous access".

The RN102 is running 6.2.4. The share network access has "everyone" and "admin" with read/write access and anonymous access enabled. File access has folder owned by admin/admin, "grant rename...' is checked, and folder owner/group/everyone has full access. SMB Plus is installed, but I have never used it to adjust the protocol.
Message 7 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

Thank you StephenB,

In fact, accessing as admin user works. No need to enable anonymous access or extra large permissions.
However, this is still a bug in my eyes. Why only admin has proper access through SMB in Android? Why are other users blocked. I need selective shares access just like it is supposed to be.

From windows, my users have ro and rw access as configured. Only from Android it seems broken. It was also working previously in OS 4.x
Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Can you let me know exactly how you have the security for your users configured on the NAS (both CIFS and Advanced Options screens)?
Message 9 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

One of the shares:
name: backup
Network Access services: smb
Network Access Security for SMB: admin r/w, jerome r/w, mary ro, anonymous off
File Access: owner (jerome), folder group (users),
File Access (Security): folder owner r/w, jerome r/w, mary ro, Grant rename and delete... unchecked

What's not mentioned is unchecked

Basically, in group users, I only need specific users to have r/w access (jerome), specific users have ro (mary) and others no access
On PC window 7, it works as expected, not on Android where I must be logged as admin to the share
Message 10 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

so, any info on this. Is it a bug on NAS side?
Message 11 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

still no clue, tried everything 😞

Is this going to be fixed in next updates?
Message 12 of 13
chopin70
Virtuoso

I used the "fix permissions" option and configured again all permissions for each user

This fixed all access issues

Something must have locked up all permissions, now all is fine since a few weeks

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements