× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SSH enabled for user (but not for root)

redstamp
Apprentice

SSH enabled for user (but not for root)

I want to enable SSH to use SFTP (with FreeFileSync) to automate synchronisation between two NAS' in separate geolocations (i can post instructions if anyone interested)

I have read about how to use public / private key encryption (rather than SSH via password) and just wanted to check a point on security.

If I create a specific user account and only enable SSH shell access via this user, I presume 'root' is not automatically enabled.  This would only be the case if I enabled SSH for the admin user - is this correct?  Or does enabling SSH for ANY user enable root access?

Thanks.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@redstamp wrote:

"The root password for SSH is the same as the admin user. Change from the default for security purposes. Not changing the default password and enabling SSH leaves you vulnerable to attack."

I still dont get what that last precautionary bullet is trying to warn against though.

It's saying two things.  First, that if you want to access the linux shell via ssh you should use "root" as the username instead of "admin" - using the NAS admin password.

Second (the warning bit), that it is a really bad idea to leave that NAS admin password set to the default value of password.  Even if you don't enable ssh you shouldn't use the default password.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
redstamp
Apprentice

Srry - should have added that I already read the help here: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

But it's not entirely clear whether root enabled or not when setting up a user, although it does say root is anabled when enabling on admin.

Message 2 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi redstamp,

The root access is disabled by default when you create a local user. The user will only have root access when you enable the 'Allow shell access' for that user.

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi redstamp,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
redstamp
Apprentice

John,

Thanks for your reply. I understand root access is enabled for that user when checking the "enable shell access" option.

I have created a specific user to use with my remote SSH access, allow shell access and set a public / private key combination, disabled password access for this user and set the port forward from a high external port number.

Perhaps it is my lack  of knowledge but the penultimate bullet on the intro for this page: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

...says:

"The root password for SSH is the same as the admin user. Change from the default for security purposes. Not changing the default password and enabling SSH leaves you vulnerable to attack."

And i thought this means root password for any user maps to the admin password - however writing this down makes me feel slightly stupid now. I still dont get what that last precautionary bullet is trying to warn against though.

Thanks.

Jon

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@redstamp wrote:

I still dont get what that last precautionary bullet is trying to warn against though.

It's saying two things.  First, that if you want to access the linux shell via ssh you should use "root" as the username instead of "admin" - using the NAS admin password.

Second (the warning bit), that it is a really bad idea to leave that NAS admin password set to the default value of password.  Even if you don't enable ssh you shouldn't use the default password.

Message 6 of 8
redstamp
Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification.

So essentially to use freefilesync over SSH, I can disable shell access for the specific user I have set-up.

BTW - I have changed the default password for admin to something secure 😉

Jon

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@redstamp wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.So essentially to use freefilesync over SSH, I can disable shell access for the specific user I have set-up.

Yes. You might want to set everything up on a PC on your local network first with a test share - it'll be simpler to get it working that way.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements