× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow time machine backups (hours and days vs. minutes) AND already in use errors

JustKJ
Aspirant

Slow time machine backups (hours and days vs. minutes) AND already in use errors

I am still fighting slow time machine backups, hourly incremental that use to take 5 minutes or so, taking 12 hours or more.  I had another post under the topic of slow, but the staff helping there, just stopped responding.  There was a NAS software update that I installed yesterday, so I tried using timemachine again and while it complete a 6 gig of backup it took 9 hours to do so (gigabit wired network, all runs are less than 15 feet).

When I tried a nother back up this morning, it "looks" for the drive, "prepares" the back up, and then errors that they "disk image is already in use".    

It is not mounted on this MAC or on the two laptops, so how is it in use?  

also,

When I click select drive, the time machine is listed twice. once at the top (though not labled, i would guess this is the current destination for backups, it is list with the same name as an Availalble disk.  If I mouse over both of them the path listed is slightly different.  

The current one's path :  afp://readyNAS@NASNAMEHERE._afpovertco._tcp.local/timemachine

The Available one's path : afp://NASNAME.local/timemachine

Thank you in advance for anwsers to those and suggestions.

Message 1 of 6
JustKJ
Aspirant

Re: Slow time machine backups (hours and days vs. minutes) AND already in use errors

Update:

A NAS reboot, and my second attempt to lauch a backup was sucessful. So far: an hour and a half has netted 400MB of 715.  It estimates 38 more minutes, but that is unlikely.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Slow time machine backups (hours and days vs. minutes) AND already in use errors

Which ReadyNAS and what firmware is it running?

Message 3 of 6
JustKJ
Aspirant

Its a ReadyNAS 314 and just upgraded to ver 6.6.1.  I have had TM automatic backups turned off as they seemed to constantly be running for hours.  I retry after each update hoping that Netgear solves the problem--if even by accident.

It all began just after  6.5.2 firmware  see post here:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Time-Machine-slow-after-6-5-2-update/td...

Message 4 of 6
JustKJ
Aspirant

Update:  a total of two backups ran late yesterday afternoon and after that the "drive already in use error returned".  If I have to reboot the NAS each time an hourly back up happens, I will need a different solution.

Did you come up with anything?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@JustKJ wrote:

Did you come up with anything?

No, and my Mac knowledge is second-hand (being a Windows guy).

There are mac users here (and @mdgm-ntgr is a good resource for them).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements