× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching from MBR to GPT

fatkid1974
Aspirant

Switching from MBR to GPT

Firmware version 4.1.14.  I am trying to backup my NAS data to a 4 TB drive.  Because the NAS is setup using MBR partitioning table, only 2 TB of my usb drive is viewable.  Will formatting and using GUID partitioning table and reloading the NAS be possible on the unit I have.  I want to take advantage of the full available space on my external drive.

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Switching from MBR to GPT

4.1.x systems don't support GPT formatting at all - so that will not work.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

4.1.x systems don't support GPT formatting at all - so that will not work.

Message 2 of 6
fatkid1974
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  Time to upgrade I guess.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@fatkid1974 wrote:

Time to upgrade I guess.

Yes.  Though USB performance on the duo is very slow, so you'd get faster speeds connecting the USB drive to a PC and copying over ethernet.

Message 4 of 6
fatkid1974
Aspirant

I'll have to try that, The initial backup was painfully slow.  When hooked up to server drive shows full 4 TB, close to it anyway.  Will I be able to write to the whole drive backing up over network? Or will I still be limited to only 2 TB.

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So long as your PC supports GPT if the USB disk is connected directly to your PC you would be able to use the full 4TB of space. The NAS neither knows nor cares how the 4TB of network storage provided by the USB disk connected to your PC is made up.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements