× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

System volume 'root' usage is 100 %

jwilkinson84
Aspirant

System volume 'root' usage is 100 %

I was wondering what can I delete under the /var/ folder? its taking up around 700MB of space and my admin page is not loading anymore.

Capture.PNG

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: System volume 'root' usage is 100 %

How full is the OS partition?  There are other causes for your issue, and it seems likely that a full OS is not your issue.

What apps do you have installed on the NAS?  Can you post the results of du /var/lib -h -d 1

Message 2 of 8
jwilkinson84
Aspirant

/Dev/md0 is maxed out at 100%.OSPart.PNG

It looks like /Var/Lib is only 528M. The only apps i have is Plex at 2.6GB and Tautulli at around 300M 

VarLib.PNG

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You have some stuff in /var/lib that I don't, but the main difference in the size is in clamav - I have that turned off.

If you aren't seeing where the space has gone, then it likely is hiding underneath a mount point.

Try mount /dev/md0 /mnt and then look in /mnt.  Then you'll only see what is actually stored there.  When finished, do a cd // and then umount /mnt 

Message 4 of 8
jwilkinson84
Aspirant

mnt.PNGNot sure what else I can delete from here. I did nuke that /var/calmav and im down to 89%. Im assuming doing an OS reinstall would be too risky with that little of space still. The admin page is working now at least, but I would like to get the space down some more. 

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Your folder numbers don't add up to your total, so you are missing something. 

Have you tried using du /mnt -ah -d 1 ?

Also, have you used ls /mnt -al, to see if there are hidden files in the root folder that are taking up space?  There are some hidden files, but they should all be small

Message 6 of 8
jwilkinson84
Aspirant

Here are the resulkts of the first command.

mnt2.PNG

I have a ton of these weird chunk-stream one files

mnt 3.PNG

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Those are from plex (transcoding). These are in the root volume somewhere?  Not in /apps?

If so, it should be safe to delete them. But they might come back, so you'd need to keep an eye out.

So if they are in their own folder(s), I suggest that you move them to a share on the NAS, and replace the folder(s) with "soft links" that points to the folders on the share.  This would keep them out of the root partition, and let you see how much space they take up.

After you delete the current folder, the command for the soft link would be 

# ln -s /data/<whatever> <current folder name>

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements