× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine 2tb limit?

GreenmanX
Aspirant

Time Machine 2tb limit?

Hi!

I tested the ReadyNAS Pro equipped with 6tb. We (ad agency) are planning to use it with TimeMachine to backup our desktop macs.
I wanted to use the maximum capacity, which is 4607GB, for TM, but despite entering the correct value after submitting the new settings and refreshing I only get something around 2tb (2048 or 2078).

Can anyone help me with that issue?
Message 1 of 42
g4rwin
Aspirant

Same problem here. ReadyNas NV+ equipped with 4TB and with the latest beta T74.

Even if I max out the capacity it lands on 2TB (2047).

Could someone shed some light on this issue please?
Message 2 of 42
nathan_opscode
Aspirant

Erg, purchased a ReadyNAS Pro Business, updated to 4.2.4 and 6x 1.5TB drives. First I did the happy dance. Then I got confused and hit the message boards. Now I'm just frustrated and looks like I'm not the only one.

Backup->TimeMachine says Max:6926, but always resets to 2047GB.

I purchased this setup specifically to give my office one centralized TimeMachine backup location with a capacity larger than what I could get with a flock of Time Capsules. Help?
Message 3 of 42
chirpa
Luminary

2TB is the current limit. The filesystem on the NAS currently has a 2TB per file limit. Same limitation applies to regular files via CIFS/NFS/etc, even iSCSI targets.
Message 4 of 42
nathan_opscode
Aspirant

Uh....

That seems like a fairly critical piece of information to share *somewhere* in the docs/howtos/demos. None of the docs I read in all the research I did before making this purchasing decision made ANY mention of this limitation.

Anybody want to take a crack at convincing me to continue to be a customer of Netgear? I've got an office full of mac laptops and this setup I purchased for several thousand dollars is no more useful to me then two time capsules which would have cost a couple hundred dollars.

There's gotta be a work around here. Multiple 2T files/shares? A file for each user/laptop? Use 8K blocks for the ext3 filesystem (instead of the default 4K) for the share so it'll support files > 2T? Use something other than ext3 for the FS?
Message 5 of 42
chirpa
Luminary

RAIDiator 4.2.6 road map is to support 2TB+ volumes for iSCSI/TimeMachine/etc, I don't have a timeframe for that release yet.
Message 6 of 42
nathan_opscode
Aspirant

So yeah, I now have 6 of my employees setup with private 400G shares they're each using for Time Machine backups. It's a manual process to get setup and required the root-ssh plugin to get figured out, but shouldn't be too hard to wrap in a tiny shell script. This should allow me to have each employee have a private 400G TM, and use up all 7T in our ReadyNAS when we grow to 14 users 😉
Message 7 of 42
btaroli
Prodigy

chirpa wrote:
2TB is the current limit. The filesystem on the NAS currently has a 2TB per file limit. Same limitation applies to regular files via CIFS/NFS/etc, even iSCSI targets.

How is a per-file limit relevant to TM? TM creates sparsebundle packages (a folder) that contain several files as segments representing the entire volume. Therefore, it would stand to reason that any given segment might be limited to 2TB, but how does that translate to the whole sparsebundle?
Message 8 of 42
jelockwood1
Guide

btaroli wrote:
chirpa wrote:

How is a per-file limit relevant to TM? TM creates sparsebundle packages (a folder) that contain several files as segments representing the entire volume. Therefore, it would stand to reason that any given segment might be limited to 2TB, but how does that translate to the whole sparsebundle?

Just what I was going to say. There is no way the Time Machine sparsebundle can cause file(s) to be bigger than 2TB since the segments are always smaller and are stored as individual files (as far as other operating systems are concerned).

It maybe that the 2TB limit is more an Apple limit in the TimeMachine client software. Since the biggest TimeCapsule is only 1TB and Apple don't ship any Macs with 2TB drives, they may not have thought of this. I wonder if Snow Leopard will address this. (Update - I believe the ReadyNAS is creating the TimeMachine partition as an image on the underlying EXT3 file system, and since EXT3 only allows 'files' up to 2TB in size, this limits the TimeMachine partition also to 2TB.)

For what it's worth, the 2TB limit in the ReadyNAS (for iSCSI for example) is due to the ReadyNAS currently using EXT3 as the underlying file system. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems for a comparison of the limits of file systems.

I would guess NetGear are planning on moving to EXT4 although from a Mac point of view ZFS might be a better long term choice since Apple is adding (some) ZFS support in Snow Leopard.

PS. Old though HFS+ might be, it already supports files of nearly 8 Exabytes, way more than even EXT4 which 'only' supports 16 Terabytes. ZFS supports files up to 16 Exabytes. NTFS is not too shabby either, it also supports up to 16 Exabytes. So EXT4 looks a pretty short-term fix.
Message 9 of 42
btaroli
Prodigy

jelockwood wrote:
btaroli wrote:
chirpa wrote:

I believe the ReadyNAS is creating the TimeMachine partition as an image on the underlying EXT3 file system, and since EXT3 only allows 'files' up to 2TB in size, this limits the TimeMachine partition also to 2TB.)

As far as the filesystem goes, all they actually do is create a directory under /c, such as /c/.timemachine. iSCSI volumes do get created as you describe, though -- a file is created representing the image of the volume.
Message 10 of 42
imagenes_vivas
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
RAIDiator 4.2.6 road map is to support 2TB+ volumes for iSCSI/TimeMachine/etc, I don't have a timeframe for that release yet.

Chirpa, last April do you really mean 4.2.6 or the now just released 4.1.6?
Message 11 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

imagenes_vivas wrote:
chirpa wrote:

Chirpa, last April do you really mean 4.2.6 or the now just released 4.1.6?

4.2.6 is referring to the next X86 Firmware for e.g. Pro, NVX. 4.1.6 is the current (just released) Sparc firmware for e.g. NV+, Duo etc. I imagine they should be working on a fix for both X86 and Sparc.
Message 12 of 42
imagenes_vivas
Aspirant

Oh, sorry, thank you very much for the information. I tougth it was a confusion of numbers.

Two months ago I converted my 4TB (4x1TB) ReadyNAs NV+ in a TimeMachine backup for my professional photography studio and I am worried about only using 2TB of it's full capacity because of this limitation. Hope there is a solution in a near future.
Message 13 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Any news on this? I too had purchased a ReadyNAS Pro and didn't see a mention of this limit. It has been more than 4 months and thought I'd ask what the status is and if there is a timeframe now. (The DroboPro doesn't have this problem and I am considering the options available now or in the not too distant future since it has been a while and the ReadyNAS is just depreciating 🙂 )

Any beta's available?

chirpa wrote:
Message 14 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

centauratlas wrote:
Any news on this? I too had purchased a ReadyNAS Pro and didn't see a mention of this limit. It has been more than 4 months and thought I'd ask what the status is and if there is a timeframe now. (The DroboPro doesn't have this problem and I am considering the options available now or in the not too distant future since it has been a while and the ReadyNAS is just depreciating 🙂 )

Any beta's available?

chirpa wrote:

No beta's available yet. For the Pro and other X86 keep an eye on viewforum.php?f=51
For NV+ and other Sparc see viewforum.php?f=17

If 2TB+ support is added it will be in the release notes for the beta.

Bear in mind that although NetGear almost certainly tests their betas before making them public, in particular early betas can have issues so it's even more advisable than with an ordinary version of RAIDiator to backup any crucial data regularly if you choose to use a beta once it comes out.
Message 15 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Thank you, I will keep an eye on it!

mdgm wrote:
centauratlas wrote:

Any beta's available?

chirpa wrote:

No beta's available yet. For the Pro and other X86 keep an eye on http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51
For NV+ and other Sparc see http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

If 2TB+ support is added it will be in the release notes for the beta.

Bear in mind that although NetGear almost certainly tests their betas before making them public, in particular early betas can have issues so it's even more advisable than with an ordinary version of RAIDiator to backup any crucial data regularly if you choose to use a beta once it comes out.
Message 16 of 42
imagenes_vivas
Aspirant

imagenes_vivas wrote:

Two months ago I converted my 4TB (4x1TB) ReadyNAs NV+ in a TimeMachine backup for my professional photography studio and I am worried about only using 2TB of it's full capacity because of this limitation. Hope there is a solution in a near future.

A so long wait... Any answer from ReadyNAS staff. 😞

I really would like to know if they have plans to correct that Time Machine 2TB limit for the NV+ users in the future. If not, I will be free to sell my NV+ now and exchange for another backup system. But not knowing that for 6 months is very upsetting.
Message 17 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

I agree. There was a discussion about it on Macintouch.com and the consensus there was to stay about from the ReadyNAS until NetGear fixes the problems with TimeMachine, iSCSI etc.

I've had this since February time frame and not been able to use it to backup more than 2TB. It is extremely frustrating to have something that significant not disclosed until AFTER buying it.

imagenes_vivas wrote:
imagenes_vivas wrote:

I really would like to know if they have plans to correct that Time Machine 2TB limit for the NV+ users in the future. If not, I will be free to sell my NV+ now and exchange for another backup system. But not knowing that for 6 months is very upsetting.
Message 18 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

In one of the other threads they said that 4.2.7 doesn't fix this either. Wow.
(see viewtopic.php?f=51&t=34100)

centauratlas wrote:
I agree. There was a discussion about it on Macintouch.com and the consensus there was to stay about from the ReadyNAS until NetGear fixes the problems with TimeMachine, iSCSI etc.

I've had this since February time frame and not been able to use it to backup more than 2TB. It is extremely frustrating to have something that significant not disclosed until AFTER buying it.

imagenes_vivas wrote:
imagenes_vivas wrote:

Message 19 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Any news on the "RAIDiator 4.2.6 road map is to support 2TB+ volumes for iSCSI/TimeMachine/etc, I don't have a timeframe for that release yet" from April 2009?

Thanks

chirpa wrote:
Message 20 of 42
msimswil
Aspirant

Re: Time Machine 2TB limit?

I updated my Pro Pioneer to 4.2.9 yesterday. Time Machine allowance is still limited to 2038GB (2TB). :?

I would love to be able to expand this, allowing meaningful TM backups of all the stuff in my house. Fingers crossed for 4.3!!

--Mike--
Message 21 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Re: Time Machine 2TB limit?

NetGear has promised a fix for nearly a year, kind of pathetic that we're still having to keep our fingers crossed for something that should have been disclosed prior to purchase. 🙂

msimswil wrote:
I updated my Pro Pioneer to 4.2.9 yesterday. Time Machine allowance is still limited to 2038GB (2TB). :?

I would love to be able to expand this, allowing meaningful TM backups of all the stuff in my house. Fingers crossed for 4.3!!

--Mike--
Message 22 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

centauratlas wrote:
Any news on the "RAIDiator 4.2.6 road map is to support 2TB+ volumes for iSCSI/TimeMachine/etc, I don't have a timeframe for that release yet" from April 2009?

4.2.6 was a ReadyNas 3200 only release. So it may support 2TB+ Time Machine volumes already. I don't know. I'm not sure when NetGear will implement a fix to remove that limit. Apart from iSCSI targets and the Time Machine functionality, the limit shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Personally, I don't backup that much with Time Machine and 2TB is way more than I need at the moment, but I would like to see that restriction lifted. I store most of my very large files on a NAS as its primary storage.
Message 23 of 42
imagenes_vivas
Aspirant

Please, I only want to know if there will be a future fix for that 2 TB limitation for the NV+, or perhaps they have stopped to update the firmware of that machine.

Can someone at ReadyNas be so kind to answer something to their customers?
Message 24 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Yes, unless you are using iSCSI or TM it shouldn't be a problem, but when we purchased it they weren't disclosing the limit and by the time they did in April of 2009 it was too late to return it. And they've been promising a fix since.

It is completely unprofessional of any company to do that and if they want to be taken seriously they need to commit and then follow through.

mdgm wrote:
centauratlas wrote:

4.2.6 was a ReadyNas 3200 only release. So it may support 2TB+ Time Machine volumes already. I don't know. I'm not sure when NetGear will implement a fix to remove that limit. Apart from iSCSI targets and the Time Machine functionality, the limit shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Personally, I don't backup that much with Time Machine and 2TB is way more than I need at the moment, but I would like to see that restriction lifted. I store most of my very large files on a NAS as its primary storage.
Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements