× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine Private Backup Storage Reported Incorrectly

schalliol
Aspirant

Time Machine Private Backup Storage Reported Incorrectly

I'm getting something strange where Time Machine says there's more capacity used from Mac OS Time Machine Prefs (shows this on each computer) than the sum of the consumption listed for each user, and I would like to see if I can figure out what's going on. Basically it says I only have a few hundred GB available within System Preferences when I have 4 TB available according to web administration. Please note that I am aware of the quotas for each user, which are extended to approaching capacity.

Where are individual backups stored, and what can I do to fix this?
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Time Machine Private Backup Storage Reported Incorrectly

Hello schalliol,
for me it's looking somewhat correct.
In the ReadyNAS you assigned 4800GB (4.8TB) to the private time machine of MacPro.
The ReadyNAS says 404GB of 4800GB are used.
The Mac time machine window says that 4.4TB of 4.8TB are available.
Or other way around, about 400GB are in use.
For me both reports look same.
Message 2 of 3
schalliol
Aspirant

Re: Time Machine Private Backup Storage Reported Incorrectly

Ha! Yes, it is working correctly. I of course read the backup as 4.4 TB of 4.8 TB that is available

I was biased toward it being full because sometime shortly earlier I received a message that it couldn't back up because there wasn't enough disk space. Maybe I'm the only one, but I assumed if it offered two numbers in the prefPane, it would indicate consumed and available, not available left and available allocated.

Thanks for chiming in!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements