× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine when you're not home

TennantSmith
Aspirant

Time Machine when you're not home

Hello !
First of all, I would like to say that I'm French and sometimes my English is not excellent, sorry if I do english mistakes...

I have to backup my Mac with Time Machine, I know how to do it with the menu but I'm not so sure. Do I have to create a sort of "disk" that I will dedicate it to the Time Machine system (if yes, how should I do it ?) or they're no need for that and the simple fact of setting it up in the menu will automatically create the "disk" ? I would like to set a size for the Time Machine system and I do know how it should be done...

One more question, is the backup with Time Machine working when I'm not home ? For exemple if I go somewhere where there is internet connection, will my Mac "TimeMachine itself" through the internet to the NAS -that stayed home- or do I have to be on the same internet network as the NAS ?

Thank you very much for your help !

TennantSmith
Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: Time Machine when you're not home

Time machine back up over the internet may not be possible or if it is, it might cause some issues. Being over the internet may reject needed requirements to connect to the time machine. Probably more of a speed issue or other things.

There is a similar thread back, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64554

The best way to back up time machines is still through the LAN.
Message 2 of 5
TennantSmith
Aspirant

Okay..

Then if I set up a different Time Machine module, it will automatically save my datas on it. But when I go back home, does the different backups sync with the NAS ?

I've read somewhere that when the system used for Time Machine isn't accessible it automatically creates the backup directly on the Mac. Do you know if it's true ? If yes, does those backup sync with the NAS at home ?

Thank you for helping me !

TennantSmith
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

TennantSmith wrote:

Then if I set up a different Time Machine module, it will automatically save my datas on it. But when I go back home, does the different backups sync with the NAS ?

Backups to e.g. a USB disk wouldn't get synced back to the NAS. Your Mac would do a separate backup to the NAS when you are back at home if the NAS is in your list of TM backup destinations.
TennantSmith wrote:

I've read somewhere that when the system used for Time Machine isn't accessible it automatically creates the backup directly on the Mac. Do you know if it's true ?

That's called MobileBackups
TennantSmith wrote:

If yes, does those backup sync with the NAS at home ?

Not sure about that.
Message 4 of 5
TennantSmith
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer, now I know how it'll work !

TennantSmith
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements