× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine frequently unable to connect

meltingice
Aspirant

Time Machine frequently unable to connect

A few times a day, Time Machine reports this error:

For some reason, it can't seem to auto-connect to my ReadyNAS 104. If I browse to the ReadyNAS share in Finder, which causes it to reconnect, and then force a Time Machine backup... it works fine. I'm currently running OSX 10.9.2 and ReadyNas firmware 6.1.7. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 14
joebreeves
Aspirant

Re: Time Machine frequently unable to connect

I get that, too, except my system won't *find* the readynas Time Machine. I just updated to 6.1.8 and it still does it. I try and start a backup, I get "Looking for Backup Disk" via Time Machine and ultimately it times out with "The Backup Disk Could Not Be Found." I've had to delete my Time Machine backup over and over because the ReadyNAS just doesn't handle it well. When it's an 8TB backup, we're talking 6-7 days of continuous data.
Message 2 of 14
rzarx
Aspirant

I am getting this issue aswell.
I have setup a readynas 316 for a friend.
They have a new MacBook Pro retina and it was able to do a full time machine backup (500gb) but it's not completing the regular updates without stuffing around. Keeps getting that box as listed above.
This is very frustrating as it was a key feature when I recommended the readynas.
I have a readynas ultra 4bay from a few years ago and it has been pretty much flawless with time machine backups.

Hope this gets fixed asap.
Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?
Message 4 of 14
meltingice
Aspirant

I'm running ReadyNAS OS 6.1.9 and OSX Yosemite now and I don't think I've run into this issue in awhile. Not sure which upgrade fixed it, unfortunately.
Message 5 of 14
rzarx
Aspirant

I have confirmed 6.1.9
and for the laptop it's
Mavericks 10.9.5
Message 6 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you backing up via ethernet or wireless?

Can you email me your logs?: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543
Message 7 of 14
rzarx
Aspirant

Yeah wireless
Using the new almond plus over ac. Had no dramas doing the initial sync of 500gb and was able to send 460gb directly over wireless to a share running at about 50MB/s average with no drop outs.

Shall arrange for the logs to be emailed tomorrow night. Thanks for your help.
Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like a wi-fi related issue. Do you still have the issue if you do backups over ethernet?
Message 9 of 14
rzarx
Aspirant

Okay, shall test And get back to you over the weekend.
Message 10 of 14
rzarx
Aspirant

Looks like you were right. They sent me a new beta firmware to test and issues are gone. Backing up like a charm. Thanks for your help. Out of curiosity which log file tells you about the wifi/time machine issues? I had a look through them and couldn't find anything.
Message 11 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It was just a guess based on your symptoms. It sounds like it was a good one.

With issues like this you start with the obvious possible causes and then if those are ruled out move onto more in depth investigation.
Message 12 of 14
jerryk1
Aspirant

I see the same connect issue. It started happening in Maveriks and continues with Yosemite. I think it only happens on Wifi. At least my last backup worked fine on ethernet.
Message 13 of 14
rzarx
Aspirant

For me it ended up being the router that was the issue. Once I got the new firmware it was fixed. What router and firmware do you have?
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements